FS: 1999 A3 Jetta TDI in N.E. Mass

rampant

TDI
1999 A3 Jetta, Black
SOLD---SOLD---SOLD Early 1999 A3 Jetta TDI. AHU Engine. 4 Door Sedan. 5 sp. manual trans. 115,162 miles. Black. No sunroof. Current avg. 48 MPG.

Currently titled, registered and inspected (through December 2015) in Massachusetts.

Posting here first, before Craigslist, in hopes of finding someone who appreciates the TDI. I have too many vehicles, and hope to find a good home for this one.

This Massachusetts car has begun to rust (rocker panels, lower lip of trunk, chipped area on leading edge of hood), and in honesty, I would recommend it as a source of good parts rather than as an investment in a long-term daily driver.

My folder with maintenance and upgrade info has been misplaced in a move, so mileage details are approximate…sorry.

The engine is strong and has been reliable. Oil and filter changes done every 4,000 miles with Shell Rotella full synthetic 5w40 since I bought it as 2nd owner at 38,171 miles.

Timing belt replaced at 80,000 miles.

I had a manifold cleaning done by Herm TDI in an attempt to cure a limp-home-mode condition occurring at high RPM acceleration in 2nd & 3rd. Herm's great, but that didn’t do it and it seemed that the waste gate was the problem, so I had the turbo and the attached oil supply and return lines replaced which cured the condition. (This at ca. 85,000 miles).

Struts and shocks are aftermarket and resulted in a lowering of ca. 1.5” front and 1” rear. (I wasn’t paying proper attention when I ordered them, and would have removed them if the shop hadn’t already ‘thrown out’ my OEMs) I replaced the OEMs with the idea of stiffening the ride and thus improving the handling. I don’t know if the expense was worth the resultant improvement, but it seemed marginally tighter than stock.

Current wheels are 14” alloys with 175/70R 14 snow tires mounted. The snows are loud, and while testing today (7/16/15) I thought the exhaust was louder than I remembered, but I’m used to my nearly silent Fiesta, so…….

2nd set of 15” alloy wheels included with unusable 195/50R 15 tires mounted. (This combo fits within the wheel wells just fine.)

Included in the pkg. is a set of Euro-code headlights from DJ Auto, unmounted, together with wiring and an A3 Euroswitch (all supposedly plug & play). Also included is the 1993 through early 1999 Jetta TDI Bentley manual.

This was my daily driver until I bought a Freightliner Sprinter for my dog fence business six years ago and I’ve only used The TDI for the MPG on longer highway trips since then and it's been garaged with a battery tender since October 2013.

It’s not much of a looker at this point but strong and still lively. Currently daily driving a 2014 Ford Fiesta 3 cyl. 1.0 liter @ 43 MPG and though I love the Fiesta EcoBoost, the Jetta will still beat the pants off it.

KBB gives a private party sale value of $2728 for this car in fair condition. I’m asking $1800 for it

Click on the link below for a gallery of 13 images.

http://paulmcdade.smugmug.com/1999-Jetta-TDI

Last edited:

rampant

TDI
1999 A3 Jetta, Black
2nd price drop

Sold my NX-250 over the weekend. Still trying to pare down. The Jetta is surplus to my needs. Please give it and/or its parts a good home. Just thinkin' to add...except for a match head sized melt hole in right rear seat, the interior is in very good condition.
New price is $1800. Next stop, Craigslist.