I am Fu** , HPFP dead

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
OP, it would appear by this document that you may not be F***'ed after all. This document implies that one can return a non-operational vehicle for buyback. But I would save any fuel receipts or anything else that show proof the vehicle was operable up to or even past the opt out date - just in case VW asks for proof - which they could do.
And here I am paying cash whenever possible cause it's cheaper... I guess I can still get a receipt if I ask for it.

Only for 2012 and older, only if the anti-misfueling device is installed, and only if they can't find any way that the fuel's bad.
I took my miss-fuel thing out because it was more of an anti-fuel device. Stinks that that's a stipulation. Anyone know if you can buy one online?

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
For those with less than 120,000 miles and are in the US, the HPFP is covered for 120,000 miles.

IIRC, THE 120,000 coverage is limited: 2009 - 2012 model years.

The OP and the 2014 blown HPFP poster have my sympathy.

These are really fuel efficient vehicles (but we all realize weaknesses exist).

.........going to guns.....er, I mean gas..............(6M Alltrack on short list)

ez

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
I took my miss-fuel thing out because it was more of an anti-fuel device. Stinks that that's a stipulation. Anyone know if you can buy one online?
I believe there are 2 versions (initial and subsequent) of the sleeve device. I had the first one installed and then had it pulled out because it was indeed an "anti-fuel" device. But then a year or so later I had the second one installed and it's been fine.

Blue91

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen
You're not hosed...

(Dkt. No. 1685 ¶ 2.6.) Eligible Vehicles are
Model Year 2009 through 2015 Volkswagen and Audi light-duty vehicles equipped with 2.0-liter TDI engines that (1) are covered, or purported to be covered, by the EPA Test Groups in the table [in paragraph 2.33]; (2) are, at any point during the period September 18, 2015 to June 28, 2016, registered with a state Department of Motor Vehicles or equivalent agency or owned by a Non- Volkswagen Dealer in the United States or its territories that (a) holds title to the vehicle or (b) holds the vehicle by bill of sale; (3) for an Eligible Owner, are currently Operable or cease to be Operable only after the Opt-Out Deadline; and (4) have not been modified pursuant to an Approved Emissions Modification. Eligible Vehicle also excludes any Volkswagen or Audi vehicle that was never sold in the United States or its territories.

speedrye

Veteran Member
TDI
13 JSW DSG, 14 JSW DSG
^^Yeah, so he can get non-operable restitution (who knows how much that is?) and not qualify for the buyback. Pretty sure he's still hosed unless he can get it running enough for the buyback.

Blue91

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen
^^Yeah, so he can get non-operable restitution (who knows how much that is?) and not qualify for the buyback. Pretty sure he's still hosed unless he can get it running enough for the buyback.
I haven't read far enough. Where does it state that? Thanks.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Hi Seth!

Check your private messages. Maybe there is hope for a not too crazy expensive solution!

angelman

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sportswagon tdi
If you have comprehensive insurance it might be worth asking insurance to cover the repair. I had the same thing happen (second HPFP in 143000 miles). The dealer tried to negotiate with VW but they wouldn't help. THe dealer then suggested we ask insurance. Evidently they convinced the insurance company the failure was due to poor/contaminated fuel rather than a failure of the part per se.

of course 2 weeks after I got the car back from the dealer the check engine light came on.
I am done with this car and VW and would advise anyone who can to park the car and wait for the buyback. I can't unload this thing fast enough.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
You're not hosed...

(Dkt. No. 1685 ¶ 2.6.) Eligible Vehicles are
Model Year 2009 through 2015 Volkswagen and Audi light-duty vehicles equipped with 2.0-liter TDI engines that (1) are covered, or purported to be covered, by the EPA Test Groups in the table [in paragraph 2.33]; (2) are, at any point during the period September 18, 2015 to June 28, 2016, registered with a state Department of Motor Vehicles or equivalent agency or owned by a Non- Volkswagen Dealer in the United States or its territories that (a) holds title to the vehicle or (b) holds the vehicle by bill of sale; (3) for an Eligible Owner, are currently Operable or cease to be Operable only after the Opt-Out Deadline; and (4) have not been modified pursuant to an Approved Emissions Modification. Eligible Vehicle also excludes any Volkswagen or Audi vehicle that was never sold in the United States or its territories.
I'd like to know how they will determine whether or not a vehicle was operational as of the opt-out deadline. If it can be readily proven, he should be fine to return it in its current non-running condition, according to that paragraph. It would be wise to contact the settlement council to verify this.

If it turns out that you will somehow be penalized for the vehicle not being operational, you should be able to get a junkyard pump installed to get the vehicle running long enough to drive it onto the lot for turn-in.

speedrye

Veteran Member
TDI
13 JSW DSG, 14 JSW DSG
Exhibit 1 of the Settlement:

Benefits for Eligible Owner
. Except as otherwise provided in the Class Action Agreement, Eligible Owners choosing a Buyback shall receive the sum of the Vehicle Value and Owner Restitution, and Eligible Owners choosing an Approved Emissions Modification shall receive an Approved Emissions Modification free of charge and Owner Restitution. An Eligible Owner whose Eligible Vehicle is Operable as of the Opt-Out Deadline but which ceases to be Operable before the vehicle can be surrendered in a Buyback or receive an Approved Emissions Modification, shall receive Owner Restitution only, and not the Vehicle Value. The Vehicle Value equals the vehicle’s Base Value adjusted for OEM-installed options and mileage, as described in ¶¶ 11-12 below.

speedrye

Veteran Member
TDI
13 JSW DSG, 14 JSW DSG
I agree with the difficulty in proving that the vehicle was operable after the Opt-Out date, but the burden of proof will likely be on the owner unfortunately.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Exhibit 1 of the Settlement:

Benefits for Eligible Owner
. Except as otherwise provided in the Class Action Agreement, Eligible Owners choosing a Buyback shall receive the sum of the Vehicle Value and Owner Restitution, and Eligible Owners choosing an Approved Emissions Modification shall receive an Approved Emissions Modification free of charge and Owner Restitution. An Eligible Owner whose Eligible Vehicle is Operable as of the Opt-Out Deadline but which ceases to be Operable before the vehicle can be surrendered in a Buyback or receive an Approved Emissions Modification, shall receive Owner Restitution only, and not the Vehicle Value. The Vehicle Value equals the vehicle’s Base Value adjusted for OEM-installed options and mileage, as described in ¶¶ 11-12 below.

So you can surrender the non-operational to Volkswagen for zero dollars and receive only the restitution? That's a bad deal. :confused:

speedrye

Veteran Member
TDI
13 JSW DSG, 14 JSW DSG
So you can surrender the non-operational to Volkswagen for zero dollars and receive only the restitution? That's a bad deal. :confused:
Haha, don't forget, you've probably got to pay to have it towed there too! Yeah, it's a terrible deal and sucks all around for those with these mechanical issues.

Blue91

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen
ooooof. That DOES suck.

So you either A) turn it in in operable and lose value of vehicle or B) pay most of the "restitution value" getting it fixed so you can get the vehicle value upon turn-in.

Glad I parked my crap and glad I haven't risked removing my HPFP kits yet. Those fockers aren't coming off until the day before I send it back. I'm not risking that.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Well, remember, it doesn't need to be fixed properly. Slap a pump on, mark and pray the timing belt, who cares?

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Haha, don't forget, you've probably got to pay to have it towed there too! Yeah, it's a terrible deal and sucks all around for those with these mechanical issues.
If you signed up for the Goodwill package last year you have another 2 years of free roadside assistance.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
Thanks to everyone who has chimed in with support, ideas, and PM's , I do appreciate it and one of the reasons I love ( ok loved now) my TDI was this forum, my wife is always busting my chops that I spend to much time on these things but hey it is better than TV. I will have a few days to short thru my options and see where I go from there, for all I know I am the last person on the list for a buyback and it will be a year before they contact me. I will keep everyone up to date with what I end up doing. Tomorrow is my 50th b day and it has not been the best week so far but the week is every so I am hoping to finish it on a high note. I am lucky that I have a extra car I can drive, well I blew the blower motor in my Saab, indie says about $500 to fix and I need some other stuff done if I am gonna use it semi long term. You know those boring Honda Accords sure do look good right now. Thanks again for reading and showing support.

edge130

Veteran Member
TDI
Wife's 2009 Jetta TDI sedan (2009 - 2017)
End of Good Will

Reading this thread and others, its sadly apparant that VW is refusing to grant good will gestures to customers like they did in the past.
One post states even with the dealer pulling for the customer, VW refuses.
With the tremendous financial drain of deiselgate, they can't afford it anymore.

I heard at one dealership, that VW wants the dealer to shoulder the whole cost of any good will gesture, like its the dealers obligation to foster customer relations.

This is one of the reasons I won't be replacing my buy back with another VW
No reason to expect any goidwill gesture if I have a situation with the new VW car.
Secondly, I don't see anything in the current VW bullpen that interests me.

I was hoping for Tiguan to have a diferent, more economical engine , instead of the thirsty, premium fuel drinking 2.0. Thats not happening

Last edited:

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
A few of us predicted that the formal warranty extension (before dieselgate) signified the end of goodwill assistance with an out of warranty hpfp.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
When the fix is approved (and there WILL be one, the provisions to implement a satisfactory fix according to the new court guidelines is ALREADY in the factory software, just not "switched on" so to speak... call it a "reverse delete" of sorts that is unique to the usa-market cars) one of the conditions will be a 48k warranty on HPFP, turbo, dpf, essentially everything that could be likely to fail.

So if it were me, i would wait until the fix is approved, then demand that vw fix it and honor the court-mandated warranty on the hpfp.

Expresso

TDI
2009 Jetta
HPFP Failure

Hi All,

Not trying to hijack this thread but, THIS SAME THING IS HAPPENING TO ME.

I have heard that the hpfp repairs are not being covered anymore(especially since I have 127,000). I am going to call the service department tomorrow and get them to try anyways.

Otherwise i'm going to net gain about 1500ish dollars to pay to get it repaired and then apply for the full buyback amount.(not just the $5100 restitution payment)

Needless to say as stated by others, you can't really do business with VW after all of this. Toyota,Hyundai,etc is looking awfully good now.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
Ok update time I may be able to get a used pump from a member here, now my indie says I will still need new injectors to go along w used pump, any just slap a pump on and call it a day or are injectors a must ??

Nigel F-H

TDI
2014 Passat tdi
2014 Passat TDI HPFP Fail at 60,846 Miles.Out of warrany.

2014 Passat TDI HPFP Fail at 60,846 Miles.Out of warrany.
On 10-20-16 at 6:00PM, Vehicle stalled without warning in middle of 6 lane Freeway at rush hour. Travel speed at time of stall 40MPH, adjacent exit lane was moving at 65 MPH plus. Had to coast through traffic to emergency lane. Would not restart.
Towed to dealer. Diagnosed as Catastrophic High Pressure Fuel Pump Failure. Fuel diagnosis acceptable. Despite earlier models having extended warranty my Vin # apparently is not included (Manufactured 8-2013, Engine manufacture date unknown to me).
Odometer reading 60,846 miles, Powertrain Warranty 60,000 miles. Serviced at dealer on 10-12-16 at 59,833 miles including fuel filter.
VWOA denied any warranty claim, later agreed to 50% of cost. I paid $2,843.16
All services performed, Fueled at local station all receipts kept.
Failed Pump Part Number 03L-130-755-AB. Replaced with P/N 03L-130-851-HX.
I am hoping that with enough reports to NHTSA the warranty on fuel pumps will be extended beyond the 2012 models.
I actually wonder if dealer followed correct priming procedure during service.
This is a heartbreaker for me, I LOVE this car but now have no faith and cannot afford another failure.
I will now take buyback, My old Dodge truck, 1996 Cummins with 500K miles has never let me down, it will go back to being my daily driver.
I place part of the blame on USA's aversion to Diesel cars, unrealistic emission values compared to trucks, crappy fuels. I was told to NOT use additives as it would compromise the DPF.
I may look for another TDI after the dieselgate dust has settled, low mileage, buy extended warranty but do all servicing myself, I will use additives and I will also add the filters i have learned about in these posts.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
I think you should pursue that more and possibly even take that $2K bill to small claims for reimbursement. There's no way a reasonable person is going to not side with you that one tank of fuel later your HPFP up and failed. Clearly someone at the dealership not following the correct procedure would be more believable than them changing the filter, not seeing any evidence of deterioration, and then it failing basically down the road from them. Frankly I'm surprised VW didn't side with you on that.

Last edited:

Roishe Cheng

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
What kind of crap is this that some of these poor owners have to go through. Keeping fuel receipts etc. Like this is some kind of weak car that you need to have an evidence trail for? 3 pump failures in a few years etc. Ok, I get perhaps it might have been gas in one case but this why I am walking away and never looking back. OP, hope it works out for you.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Ok update time I may be able to get a used pump from a member here, now my indie says I will still need new injectors to go along w used pump, any just slap a pump on and call it a day or are injectors a must ??

I just recently got to do my very first HPFP, and I ended up having to replace the injectors too. I tried without doing them, after a thorough cleaning of the fuel system and replacement of all three pumps and the filter, but it would not build rail pressure. Turns out that all it takes is one bad injector to cause a bypass and that injector will just let all the pressure push back out the return side, so no rail pressure.

Customer is keeping their car, so it was no problem he paid for four new injectors and off the car went ready for its next 1/4 million miles.

JSW_Jim

TDI
2011 Jetta SportsWagen
I think I'm in a similar situation as Seth1065. My wife was driving our 2011 JSW to the store when the coil light came on. When she came back out, the car started and the light was gone so she drove it 1.5 miles home. I broke out the VCDS came up with 5 faults with the most concerning being the P0087.

I was going to pull the fuel filter to inspect for debris but that will require that I run the fuel pumps so may have to re-think that.

I was planning to do the buyback and have read the car has to be running. I'd prefer not to put any more money into it. May just have it towed close to the dealership and then drive it in.

Address 01: Engine (CJA) Labels: 03L-906-022-CBE.clb
Part No SW: 03L 906 019 DB HW: 03L 906 019 DA
Component: R4 2,0L EDC G000AG 9971
Revision: 12H08--- Serial number:
Coding: 0050078
Shop #: WSC 22520 444 92462
VCID: 6EFD13A879CB4A325E-803A

5 Faults Found:
001025 - EGR System
P0401 - 001 - Insufficient Flow - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 114
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 220854 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2011.01.31
Time: 07:27:24

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 2346 /min
Speed: 118.0 km/h
Voltage: 14.06 V
Load: 100.0 %
Mass Air / Rev.: 665.0 mg/str
Mass Air / Rev.: 655.0 mg/str

001025 - EGR System
P0401 - 002 - Insufficient Flow - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100010
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 224196 km
Date: 2011.03.06
Time: 07:42:22

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 2346 /min
Speed: 119.0 km/h
Voltage: 13.98 V
Mass Air / Rev.: 730.0 mg/str
Mass Air / Rev.: 735.0 mg/str

009231 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation System
P240F - 000 - Response too Slow - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100000
Mileage: 225517 km
Date: 2011.03.20
Time: 06:51:54

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 1380 /min
Speed: 14.0 km/h
Load: 48.6 %
Mass Air / Rev.: 0.0 mg/str
Mass Air / Rev.: 30.0 mg/str
Mass Air / Rev.: 240.0 mg/str
Mass Air / Rev.: 235.0 mg/str

008213 - Intake Manifold Flap Position Sensor (Bank 1)
P2015 - 003 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100011
Mileage: 226587 km
Date: 2011.03.25
Time: 06:09:19

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 0 /min
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Voltage: 12.69 V
Lambda: 6.3 %
Lambda: 11.8 %
Bin. Bits: 01010101
Voltage: 0.380 V

000135 - Fuel Rail/System Pressure
P0087 - 004 - Too Low - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100100
Mileage: 226639 km
Date: 2011.03.25
Time: 17:58:57

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 1127 /min
Inj. Quantity: 0.0 mg/str
(no units): 15.0
Pressure: 1408.0 bar
Pressure: 1176.0 bar
Temperature: 46.8°C
Tank Cont.: 28.3 l

Readiness: 0 1 0 0 0

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
If it's still running, park the car now, and hope it's still running when it's time to turn it in.