Considering a 2010 Q7 TDI

Tdiwgn12

TDI
2012 Jetta sport wagon tdi, 2013 Passat tdi SEL premium
Hello fellow tdi owners! I am having an issue deciding on if I want a Audi Q7 or VW Touareg. Specifically I have researched and read what I can and I understand all the main aspects such as, the q7 is nicer, has the 3rd row, and basic information like that. I am after a little more in depth info.. for example,

1. The 6 speed vs the 8 Speed? other then better fuel economy with the 8 speed and nicer shifts is their any issues with the 6 speed with higher mileage?

2. The 4 timing chains vs the 2 timing chains in the newer engines. Is their an issue with the 4 timing chain design in the long run? Has anyone had any issues?

3. Electronics. I know in the past I have had issues with the electronics on older Audis (2000-2005) has anyone had any big issues with parts failing?

Any other experiences or issues you may have had I would love to know about before I make my decision....

also a little bit of a background of myself. I do all my own maintenance for the most part.. I currently own two VW Tdi's. when it comes to oil changes, transmission flush, brakes, fuel filter, etc. its not a problem. But timing chains, dropping transmission, and larger repairs they may arise I dont really want to do in my driveway and I usually would take those kinds of repairs into a shop to do.

Thanks in advance and I know this is the Q7 section but any info on why you DID NOT buy a Q7 and got a touareg instead I would love to know!

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
I can't provide any technical help you're asking. The new Q5 TDIs are very nice. With the emissions non-compliance, the fix should be straight forward, perhaps with increased adblue usage. Not sure about what will happen with the older models, though. Thus, I'm not sure I'd want to jump into an older model, unless TX does not have strict emissions requirements.

Tdiwgn12

TDI
2012 Jetta sport wagon tdi, 2013 Passat tdi SEL premium
Where I live in TX there is no emissions testing. Only the large city's here have emissions testing. Austin, Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, Etc. As for the Q5 I have seen some and their nice but a little small for my liking.

Also forgot to mention this Q7 I am looking at has 50k miles so fairly low in my eyes and seems in very clean shape. I like the aggressive look and size of the Q7 over the touareg but the touareg was actually the first vehicle I was considering/looking at.

deezelpower

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI, 2015 Audi Q7 TDI
IMO the 2013+ TDI engines (2 timing chain) are much easier to work on and maintain -- check them out with the engine cover off and you'll see the difference -- wiring harness design is simplified, engine is shorter so there's more room to work on it from the front, and more.

I've heard of some timing chain troubles with the older motor but it's by no means a common failure point. The newer one is, well, too new to tell.

That, and the newer engine is capable of 3+ MPG better on the highway.

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
The 8 speed is a whole newer generation than the 6-speed. Not only do you get the much taller final gear the transmission itself is much more efficient, resulting in better MPGs, especially on the highway.

bioburner

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Wagon 285k - Gone ‘10 JSW - Gone '13 Q7 145k
Time to buy 2012?

Picked up a JSW for a great price a couple months ago and am happy with the options I'll have in the next couple years with the settlement. We need a larger AWD vehicle and I found a decent deal on a '12 Q7 w 100k.

Question is do you guys see the 3.0 settlement and fix as a nice warranty on a higher mileage used vehicle? Assuming it only proposes a fix and no buyback, but the warranty on the fix is the same to include many of the common failure points..DPF, HPFP and fuel system, turbo, longblock....what could go wrong?!

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2016 Audi Q5 TDI
This is not directly related to your questions about comparing an Audi Q7 with a VW Toureg but perhaps indirectly related.

When I recently became interested in an Audi Q5 I researched the VW Touareg some also. The closest Audi dealer is about 250 miles from me so I thought the Touareg might be a better choice.

I found that both VW Touareg and Audi Q5 offer the 3.0 liter V6 TDI engine but it is significantly detuned in the VW. The Audi version of that engine produces 240 hp @ 3750 rpm but 428 ft. lb. of torque at 1750 rpm. Iirc, the VW Touareg version of the same engine produces only about 405 ft.lb. of torque at something like 2400 rpm.

I wanted the performance potential of the Audi TDI.

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
This is not directly related to your questions about comparing an Audi Q7 with a VW Toureg but perhaps indirectly related.

When I recently became interested in an Audi Q5 I researched the VW Touareg some also. The closest Audi dealer is about 250 miles from me so I thought the Touareg might be a better choice.

I found that both VW Touareg and Audi Q5 offer the 3.0 liter V6 TDI engine but it is significantly detuned in the VW. The Audi version of that engine produces 240 hp @ 3750 rpm but 428 ft. lb. of torque at 1750 rpm. Iirc, the VW Touareg version of the same engine produces only about 405 ft.lb. of torque at something like 2400 rpm.

I wanted the performance potential of the Audi TDI.

You can malone tune it. 300whp (339bhp) / 467wtq (528lb-ft) is yummy!

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2016 Audi Q5 TDI
You can malone tune it. 300whp (339bhp) / 467wtq (528lb-ft) is yummy!
Sorry, somehow overlooked your reply.

300 hp/528 tq is pretty impressive power output from only 3.0 liters. That would probably spin all four tires through first and second gear.

Can the VW 3.0 TDI retain it's original durability and service life with that much power increase?