Put The EGR System to Good Use - Fit an EGT Probe On It

HowardZ

Top Post Dawg
Karl, you may not realize this, but the water antifreeze in the radiator also goes to a special EGR Cooler. The exhaust gases coming from the exhaust manifuld to the EGR valve pass through this EGR Cooler.

So I think you need to tap the exhaust temperature at the exhaust manifold or just before the exhaust enters the turbo charger.

Karl Roenick

Top Post Dawg
I was thinking pre-cooler, Howard.
I don't know how true the temps would be the farther the egr pipe gets from its manifold beginning, however. When is EGT highest and when is EGR flow least? If they coincide, you'd have to get your temp probe close to the egr pipe connection. Maybe just a saddle on the egr pipe close to the manifold without penetration.

Drilling a bung into the manifold for an egt probe seems problematic (ie, costly, esp if you remove it)

M

mickey

SkyPup mentioned "wrapping" a probe on the exhaust in an e-mail. Is there a reliable, accurate probe that just attaches to the outside of the pipe? That would be ideal, but it seems unlikely to me.

-mickey

Karl Roenick

Top Post Dawg
I THINK VDO has a band that wraps around a pipe. I think you still have to drill a hole for the probe but you don't have to weld a bung. The strap holds it in place. The guy at SPA said the method is good enough for aviation.

------------------
Yellow 2000 Beetle