2015 Gen 3 Fix Phase 2 - First Impressions

tdiinsc

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI, 14' Jetta TDI
You are correct. In fact, mine is a DOG in 6th gear for accelerating. And I've lost 3-4 mpg. They did some hardware R&R and then on a 2nd visit had to fix my adblue injector. Somewhere along the way they messed up my car.
Not to beat a dead horse, but i noticed this on my wifes golf sportwagen DSG (phase 1 fix applied). If i wanted any get up and go at highway speeds it was very hard to coax a downshift and i found that i really needed to push the accelerator quite a bit for it to recognize i wanted to speed up. I almost think the throttle was re-programmed to be fuel economy minded, as in dulling the response, so you dont have jack rabbit starts. I found that reprogramming the throttle mapping to be more linear (via vagcom) helped. There was a thread about how to do this in the golf sportwagen sub forum.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Not to beat a dead horse, but i noticed this on my wifes golf sportwagen DSG (phase 1 fix applied). If i wanted any get up and go at highway speeds it was very hard to coax a downshift and i found that i really needed to push the accelerator quite a bit for it to recognize i wanted to speed up. I almost think the throttle was re-programmed to be fuel economy minded, as in dulling the response, so you dont have jack rabbit starts. I found that reprogramming the throttle mapping to be more linear (via vagcom) helped. There was a thread about how to do this in the golf sportwagen sub forum.
That was definitely how my post-phase 1 fix sportwagen felt, but it was fixed post-phase 2. Some people in this thread are feeling like post-phase 2 feels even worse.

joshuafail

TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premium
Here's to hoping my Phase 2 turns out better than some. I bought the car with Phase 1 already done, so I don't have a pre-fix to compare it to but I've seen lots more positive reviews about it lately so I'm hopeful.

Side note - My dealership gave me a 2018 Tiguan as a loaner - I'm so disappointed!! I was excited when they pulled it around but after driving it for 3 days, I'm convinced I'll never own one. No power, no grunt, the 8 speed automatic is always shifting and never in the right gear... Makes me sad we won't see a VW TDI in this anymore, that's really what it needs!

tdiinsc

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI, 14' Jetta TDI
That was definitely how my post-phase 1 fix sportwagen felt, but it was fixed post-phase 2. Some people in this thread are feeling like post-phase 2 feels even worse.
My wife's sportwagen is still awaiting phase 2. The mk6 jetta tdi i picked up yesterday for myself had phase 2 already completed, so i have no baseline.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
My baseline is coming from a 2012 JSW that I sold back last year.

The differences between phase 1 and 2 were obvious to me. Before phase 2 I was constantly fiddling with my settings via VCDS and checking out the mechanicals because the car felt *off* or slightly sluggish from take-off with a high wind through the gears. I was thinking I had gotten a bad one and that my clutch packs were slipping at 60K miles. Phase 2 cleared it all up and it's back to what my 2012 felt like with a bit more snap to it.

Last edited:

Big R

TDI
2015 Audi A3, 2015 Audi Q5
My 2015 A3 had Phases 1 and 2 done at the same time. Only thing I really notice is that there's much less of a difference between "regular" and "s" modes. Regular seems a bit more peppy, and "s" seems a bit less.

joshuafail

TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premium
So far all is well... had a CEL as soon as I picked it up from dealership, ended up being a loose connector.

I'm amazed at how much quieter the engine is... you can still hear some diesel clatter but have to listen real hard and it's hardly noticeable at all at idle.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
There were many posts in this thread from those who were just about to get your Phase 2 fix done, but haven’t yet returned to provide your post-Phase 2 fix impressions. Could those of you who had your 2.0 Gen 3 Phase 2 fixes completed on your DSG or manual TDI’s return and provide your post-Phase 2 fix impressions?

joshuafail

TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premium
There were many posts in this thread from those who were just about to get your Phase 2 fix done, but haven’t yet returned to provide your post-Phase 2 fix impressions. Could those of you who had your 2.0 Gen 3 Phase 2 fixes completed on your DSG or manual TDI’s return and provide your post-Phase 2 fix impressions?
So far, business as usual.

Engine is quieter at idle (less clatter) and much more responsive at lower revs, below 2k. Power/delivery seems to be about the same, but low engine speeds have a MUCH more noticeable response to light throttle inputs. Howling around 3k RPM seems to have disappeared. Fuel economy is about the same, only on 2nd tank so no real hard numbers to report. Too soon to report DEF usage.
I have noticed high idle, ~900RPM much more often especially when cold, but quicker engine warm-up times. Idle back to normal once warm.

I purchased the vehicle with Phase 1 already completed so I have no pre-fix data to go off, but Phase 2 improved on Phase 1 tremendously in my case. If I had the choice to do it over again, I would.

Overall, no news is good news!

Big R

TDI
2015 Audi A3, 2015 Audi Q5
Same comment about performance as my post a little above, but now have enough miles for mpg experience...it's UP! 45 or so before and now up to 47 mixed highway/city/short trips. (per computer, not hand calculated).

I'd trade some mpg for my old oomph in "s" mode.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
So far, business as usual.
Engine is quieter at idle (less clatter) and much more responsive at lower revs, below 2k. Power/delivery seems to be about the same, but low engine speeds have a MUCH more noticeable response to light throttle inputs. Howling around 3k RPM seems to have disappeared. Fuel economy is about the same, only on 2nd tank so no real hard numbers to report. Too soon to report DEF usage.
I have noticed high idle, ~900RPM much more often especially when cold, but quicker engine warm-up times. Idle back to normal once warm.
I purchased the vehicle with Phase 1 already completed so I have no pre-fix data to go off, but Phase 2 improved on Phase 1 tremendously in my case. If I had the choice to do it over again, I would.
Overall, no news is good news!
You have a DSG - have you noticed on light acceleration from stop that the upshifts are at a higher engine RPM post-Phase 2 vs. what you noticed post-Phase 1?

joshuafail

TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premium
You have a DSG - have you noticed on light acceleration from stop that the upshifts are at a higher engine RPM post-Phase 2 vs. what you noticed post-Phase 1?
Maybe 100rpm or so. Most noticeable on the 1-2 shift.

Phase 1 on light acceleration, would shift into 2nd and drop RPM back down to 1k, leading to a rough engine sound and lugging. Phase 2 holds 1st a fraction of a second longer, then shifts to 2 dropping to ~1200rpm. Much smoother, no sour engine sound and keeps the turbo spooled so no surge once 2nd finds it's feet.

All other shifts seem unaffected, which is to say fine. I don't experience any of the S mode issues others seem to be having. Very willing to hold a gear and keep the engine wound up.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
My golf is getting the phase two done. Might get it back Saturday, but I bet it won't be done for a few days yet. Been in since Wednesday.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
If I bought this car after it had phase 1 done already, what do I do to get phase 2? Just call a my local VW dealer and set it up?

datdiguy

TDI
2015 'Cleaned up' Golf Sportwagon Comfortline TDI 6 Sp Manual
I picked up my new to me 15 Golf Sportwagon 6 speed manual on May 25 and went on a 4100 km road trip from NS to London ON on thru Montreal and Toronto with 3 adults and luggage. I averaged 4.2 l/100 km on the first stage fix. On June 15 I received my second stage fix. I took a short trip on 80 kph roads from the Confederation Bridge to Dartmouth averaging 70 to 80 kph and got 3.8 l/100 km with 2 adults and luggage. The car is smooth so far. I recently tinted the back three windows but not the rear window for privacy. Great car. it now has 68k km.

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
If I bought this car after it had phase 1 done already, what do I do to get phase 2? Just call a my local VW dealer and set it up?
Was your car previously owned with the original owner opting for the VW buy-back? If so, then yes, call your local VW dealer (with the VIN handy) and have them check to ensure their records say Phase 2 is available for it, and have the odometer reading handy so they know what set of Phase 2 kits to get.

If your car had Phase 1 done by an original owner, then you bought it, you may be eligible for some restitution payment with your Phase 2 emissions fix. If this is the case, you will want to submit a claim on the emissions settlement portal to get a decision regarding your eligibility for part of a restitution payment. If you care not to pursue this possibility in this scenario, then do as the previous paragraph stated.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Was your car previously owned with the original owner opting for the VW buy-back? If so, then yes, call your local VW dealer (with the VIN handy) and have them check to ensure their records say Phase 2 is available for it, and have the odometer reading handy so they know what set of Phase 2 kits to get.

If your car had Phase 1 done by an original owner, then you bought it, you may be eligible for some restitution payment with your Phase 2 emissions fix. If this is the case, you will want to submit a claim on the emissions settlement portal to get a decision regarding your eligibility for part of a restitution payment. If you care not to pursue this possibility in this scenario, then do as the previous paragraph stated.

I assume the car was a buyback. I bought it from a non-VW dealer and it already had phase 1 done. I figured I wouldn't be getting any money, and it was confirmed this week when I got an email from VW saying I wasn't eligable for any restitution. I'm fine with that, as I know what I was buying. I'm just thinking about getting phase 2 done in the next month or two. I just didn't know if I called my local VW dealer or if there was another process to do so.

Thanks.

rhammerman

TDI
2015 Golf TDI Hatchback SE
My golf is getting the phase two done. Might get it back Saturday, but I bet it won't be done for a few days yet. Been in since Wednesday.
Any luck? I'd love to know your impression when you are back in the driver's seat.

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDi 6 Speed Manual
I'll be bringing my '15 Passat 6-speed in on August 6th, 2018. I was told they would need it for two days.
I'm at 45,000 miles. Right in between oil change interval. I'm going to ask if they will let me take the filter and oil with me, if not at least give me a coupon to have it done at 50,000 miles no charge.
Will report back on the fix results and oil request.

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDi 6 Speed Manual
Just received a call from my VW dealer. Was told that a part needed for P2 is on national back order. Could be up to a month before the part is available?
Seems strange VW could not anticipate the demand based on the Phase one takers?
Will follow up with new developments.

Doctor_Nevin

TDI
2015 Jetta Trendline+ 6 speed manual
Just received a call from my VW dealer. Was told that a part needed for P2 is on national back order. Could be up to a month before the part is available?
Seems strange VW could not anticipate the demand based on the Phase one takers?
Will follow up with new developments.
I went to schedule my phase 2 appointment back in June for the end of July, they've since cancelled my appointment and told me that I've been put on a waiting list for parts, so the national back order makes sense now.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
I scheduled my Phase 2 appointment earlier this week (my 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium only has 19,000 miles on it now), and they set me up for mid-August. Likely because the additional NOx sensor is not one of the parts VW is running short of (at the moment).

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!
Long story short- I have driven TDI's since... Forever, and rack up LOTS of miles on them.

I purchased 4 2015 TDI's (2 Passats, a Golf Wagon and a Beetle Convertible), after the phase 1 fix, and the repeal of the "Stop Sale". I sold back 2. (2011 and 2013 Jetta Sportwagens), prior to buying the 4. I know how they feel when they drive.

I have LOTS of pre-and post- Phase2 fix miles to give some great data.

I drive Uber with one of my TDI's. 200-400 miles per day 6 days a week. It's been 20k miles since my phase 2 fix, and I've noticed no decrease in MPG's, and a slight change in shifting between 2 and 3rd gear. The engine seems to momentarily lag after the shift, as though it hit an air bubble in the fuel line. (It hasn't).

Phase 2 also reflashed the DSG transmission, so It's worth noting the change.

Also, I've noticed My DEF (Ad Blue) use is marginally higher, but I still have no problem making it to 10k oil change interval with the Ad Blue. (Although now my 1500 mile DEF countdown starts around 9000 miles after topping off the 5 gallon DEF tank, whereas before it didnt come on until I was right at 10k miles since adding it.

Pre-Phase 2 miles- 58,000. 40 mpg combined driving.

Post Phase 2 miles 19,800- 41 mpg combined driving

Best tank- Pre-Phase 2 fix- 810 miles. Alabama to Colorado all- interstate drive.

Best Tank Post- Phase 2 fix- 833 miles Alabama to Colorado- all-interstate drive Given that the engine had more miles on it, I'll pretty much call this a tie, since the looser engines always give better mpgs.

Interesting fact: the new phase 2 seems to like higher cetane as I've found that Bio-blends and "Cheap" diesel (Racetrack Station, Pilot Truck Stop (B-20 blend) netted 38 mpg several times, Whereas Shell Diesel gets over 42 every tank.

Adding 8 ozs of Power Service fuel treatment adds up to 4 mpg as well.

Overall Impressions:

Phase 2 fix engines seem to like higher cetane, and better quality fuel.

They use just a bit more DEF.

There is (maybe) a lag in 2nd to 3rd low-speed shifting, but Sport and Manual mode don't experience this. EDIT: 8/5/18 It seems that it's a very rare occurance, and only under very specific situations. (almost putt-putting around scanning downtown streets for Uber Passengers). I don't think it's a real issue.

Overall-- I'd say statistically, all things considered- NOTHING has changed when comparing pre- and post Phase 2 performance and mpg's.

Last edited:

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
itsmejerry, your response is exactly what I was seeking.

Only question is, regarding the change noticed in shift from 2 to 3, is what is changed the engine response? Is the engine speed at shift changed at all (engine speed a little faster before the up-shift)?

Also, you didn't mention much about perceived torque/power/performance - have you noticed anything different along those lines?

Chiroman

TDI
'15 GSW, '05 Jetta PD
Phase 2 fix engines seem to like higher cetane, and better quality fuel.

Interesting note on the better fuel quality. The Gen 1 Emissions mod documents mention that poor fuel quality may cause engine noise to be higher. However, fuel quality is not mentioned in the Gen 3 mod, only stating that fuel mileage should not be effected. Did you notice any improvement in throttle response and smoother acceleration with the DSG as VW claims after the phase 2 fix?

Just a note about biodiesel: My owners manual for both my old '09 JSW, and my '15 GSW indicated that a maximum of B5 is allowed. There is however, an allowance for specific states that mandate B20. The common rail diesels do not like anything over B5. I go with B-zero if possible!

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
itsmejerry, your response is exactly what I was seeking.

Only question is, regarding the change noticed in shift from 2 to 3, is what is changed the engine response? Is the engine speed at shift changed at all (engine speed a little faster before the up-shift)?

Also, you didn't mention much about perceived torque/power/performance - have you noticed anything different along those lines?
Also, were all your Phase 2 fixes involve all hardware (2a + 2b), or just the NOx sensor plus ECU & DSG flashes (2a only so far)?

cgreene92

TDI
Current: 15 Passat SEL Premium TDI Past: 02 Golf 4 door TDI, 05 Passat Wagon TDI, 06 Jetta Special Edition TDI, 2010 JSW DSG
Itsmejerry - Great info. I haven't been on the page in several years, but.... I just picked up a CPO 15 Passat SEL Premium TDI, making it my 5th TDI. I really appreciate all the good info in the forum. Looking forward to getting some miles on it and posting updates.

Be safe,

C

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!
To answer the questions:

Yes- the throttle is more responsive now. I noticed that when comparing my fixed and non-fixed Passats. It seems to be less "sloppy" and each movement of the accelerator seems to coincide with an exact fuel delivery output. Whereas before, there could be a bit more movement before noticing any change in accelerating or decelerating.

The Phase 1 fix was a computer reflash of some kind done before VW could sell them.

The phase 2 was a hardware fix with DPF assembly, as well as a few other hardware things. I'll have to look on the sticker to determine what exactly, but the sticker under the hood says "Emission Modification Complete" and has 3 checked boxes.

Im under the impression that this was the final fix. So, I've had ALL the changes done.

You're right ChiroMan- B20 is not recommended. I will avoid it. Thankfully Ive only filled up once there, didnt like the results and haven't gone back.

Shifting: Maybe it's more in my head than real, but...

The 2nd to 3rd shift issue only seems to occur when I'm motoring about with a very light pedal, The best way to describe it is if I were to take my foot off the accelerator and put it down again, right before the shift. it isn't present in normal to hard accelerations or sport mode, and certainly goes away when in manual mode. I wanted to mention it originally, but now that I think about it, I think it's more a function of the car trying to match gear synchronization at low speeds than a fault or glitch.

There has been NO change in power or hill climbing ability, fully loaded with 5 people, at low speed or high speed. There is no discernible difference at all.

I even had the 2 Passat's fixes several weeks apart so I could drive one fixed and one unfixed on the exact same road, the exact same way during the week after I got my first Passat fixed. I noticed nothing different about the cars.

I'll post updates as I climb in mileage, as I rack up about 1000 miles per week. Perhaps this car will provide great data for everyone.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
So far I have not noticed any big changes. I think it is a bit more precise and the fuel economy remains pretty much excellent. Mine was in the shop from a Wednesday to a Tuesday. For a rental, I had a 1.8T 2017 Passat S with a mere 3900 miles on the clock when I got it.

Notch 8

TDI
2015 TDI Sportwagon
My car is a 2015 TDI Sportwagon with 28K miles on it. I bought it as a CPO vehicle with Phase 1 already having been done. Just got it back from the Phase 2 work and it's not the same car. It was very sluggish when I drove it out of the dealer service department especially in the mid-range. I put around 20 miles on it at different throttle settings and after a time the low end off-idle acceleration improved quite a bit but still wasn't the same as before Phase 2. (They told me that the computer will adapt to driving styles to a degree, not sure if that's true but seems to be) The worst is the mid-range response which has yet to improve. The throttle that used to seem so "bright" now feels dead in normal driving in the 35-70 mile per hour range. The car simply won't accelerate unless I nearly floor it and then it downshifts to the point where I'm accelerating harder then I want to and I have to back off. It used to stay in 6th and pull away with no problem. At first I thought it might be extreme turbo lag but now I don't think so. It's as though VW decided to program the torque out of the engine except in the higher RPM ranges. Downshifts are now the name of the game.

At this point I've talked the situation over with the service manager who agreed that some Phase 2 cars do have this problem (some worse than others) but that there was no fix for it. I contacted VOA and they referred me to a regional service rep. I just got off the phone with a the rep who told me there was nothing that could or would be be done. Period. I'm not going to live with this as it's not the car I purchased. To those who have had a good experience with Phase 2 I congratulate you. Just keep in mind that there those of us who aren't so fortunate. By the way, this is my third TDI wagon, 2 DSG's and one manual so I'm very familiar with them.