Is the Site Slow for you too?

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
Karl, could you try what is described in this topic. Often it can be bottlenecks in different spots that cause the slowdowns. For myself mornings is the slowest time as server usage is up the most. Evenings seem to be the best. The results from a traceroute should help find the bottleneck though.

dparnell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Karl, get a Starband satellite internet hookup---They ARE fast ALL the time.

------------------
Forum's only distributor for nasty pills and suppositories---call me Snake

dparnell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Derf, believe me I understand that, but the difference between Starband, ISDN, WebTv and anything else I've experienced is apples to bananas(up the tail pipe). I'm not trying to hype/sell Starband but it's the the BEST I've personally seen.
BTW, I don't own stock in the co

------------------
Forum's only distributor for nasty pills and suppositories---call me Snake

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
dparnell,

Starband can be a fast connnection to the Internet, but remember there can be a large number of other issues that slow down connections. Ranging from the remote server you are connecting to, the route the traffic is taking, total bandwidth being used in sections, etc. Too bad we couldn't all be hardwired directly into the systems we access normally.

VWBoost

Veteran Member
This site used to be ultra slow for me (for like a year!). I didn't visit too much because of it. For some reason now its okay, about as fast as that other forum.

------------------
2001 Golf GL TDI Reflex Silver

Diesel nut

How much is that Star brite or what ever it
is called,per month? My phone line is maxed
out at 28K at best!and the satellite is the only way to go out here in the boon tules.
thanks DN

Dr. Dotgain

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 TDI GL 5-speed
The entire internet slows down with high traffic volume. I think what you observe could be the stock trading activity. I know the Dow is stable if the internet is working fine, and I know it's sliding downhill when the web gets dog-slow. Gee the internet's been real slow lately. This means I can't retire till I'm 68 years old instead of 65 like I could two weeks ago.

paschalini

Veteran Member
The new layout and format is significantly faster than the old. The area I live in has old infrastructure (phone access wise), with no DSL in sight.

Our access speed is 26KB. All the neighbors have the same problem as well, so it just ain't our computer. And we live 5 miles from NASA Johnson Space Center, go figure. Verizon (GTE) keeps saying we'll have DSL later this year. We'll see.

Fred, excellent job on the new forum! Can't thank you enough for everything you do.

Vhunter

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 silver Jetta 5spd TDI
Seems to be faster than before on average.. given the variations due to network loading.

Running 640 KBPS and the pages come up just as fast as the old software system did.

Drive ON!

Hondo

Veteran Member
STNK BG1, This is just a guess, but you may just be having a path problem. In other words you are not setting in the correct location to run the trace route command. You may need to be in same location as the tracert.exe file to run the command. If you are running windows OS go to the <start menu> (in the bottom left had corner of your screen) then <find> then <files and folder> in the named box type “Tracert” with out the quotes and click the <find now> button. Windows will find the tracert.exe file. It will most likely find the tracert .exe file in the C:\windows directory. The when you go back to the dos prompt type “cd\” <enter> this is assuming you are on the C: drive. This takes you to the root of the C: drive. The machine should show you C: > then type “cd windows” <enter> (or substitute whatever directory tracert.exe file is in for windows directory) Then try to rerun the tracert command with your ISP connection up of course and it should work.
Hondo