rear caliper drag after e-brake adjustment - bad caliper?

gcarl0

TDI
'04 Golf PD, '11 335d
I'm trying to fix a hot right rear wheel (on an '01 jetta) which I think is due to brake drag. The caliper is a reman, and was installed a few months ago (due to broken bleeder screw), along with new pads, rotors, and ate super blue brake fluid change. I had also tightened the e-brake cable at the e-brake console lever, but have since loosened it.

Today, I removed the RR caliper and clean/lubed the slider pins and pad landings. The rotor spins freely without the caliper installed (I also replaced the wheel bearings recently). Then I spun the caliper's piston all the way back using Autozone's tool. After re-installing the caliper/pads, I pumped the brakes. The rotor continues to spins freely after pedal release such that I believe the caliper piston is releasing.

I then connected the e-brake and applied it 3 times. The wheel now drags, even though the e-brake lever on the caliper returns to about a 1mm off its rest stop. Is this normal due the e-brake adjustment (cranking the piston)?

After a short test drive, the wheel becomes rather warm compared to the other wheels.

Should I replace the caliper (again), or let the brake caliper/pads `wear' themselves in?

Thanks in advance

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
I would check the e-brake adjustment again. If you can't get it to adjust correctly, then consider replacing the cable. It is common for these to become corroded and hang up inside.

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Bizzare, I would suspect the ebrake cables hanging up more than the caliper....If you are unsure, disconnect the ebrake cables, and drive it for a while....see if it still heats up....I would suspect the cables more than the caliper. Make sure your sliders (upper, and especially the lower) are free and well lubed.

Good luck

Craig