Lakeland, FL to Anchorage in a new 2015 Golf Sportwagen

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
What do you find better about it? From all I see it just mirrors Google maps and a few functions. To me it seems limited as Google can do more than the few things they allow there. Why go through a third party site instead of going directly to the source? Everyone has their own way though.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
To be perfectly frank, I've never used Google Maps per se. Oh, I've clicked on the little map in an ad or when looking up info on a town or community.. just because that little map was there!

However, with vPike, if I want to see what a road looks like (my purposes as I indicated previously), in a very few clicks, I'm there looking at it!

Just thought I'd share it for those who were not aware!

EDIT: Yep! Just checked out Google Maps ...... side by side with vPike... basically the same! You can do a full screen with either! So, I really see little difference.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
As I said they are exactly the same as they are just using Google maps. You have used them just through a link from a third party. If you go to Google maps that little man (street view) is there, along with many other functions not enabled on that 3rd party site. If you look in the lower left corner of that sites map it will show it is actually Google maps you are using. You use VPike who uses Google maps for info. All they do is give you a button right up front. If the info isn't in Google maps you won't see it there either. Of course they are the same as they are exactly the same Google info.

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
A drive to Alaska is also on my list of things to do. Was up in Healy this summer with the family and wandered around in Denali. The view are phenomenal, pictures really don't do justice.

I would love to drive my Audi TT -> TDI conversion up there some summer.

Eric

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
As I said they are exactly the same as they are just using Google maps. You have used them just through a link from a third party. If you go to Google maps that little man (street view) is there, along with many other functions not enabled on that 3rd party site. If you look in the lower left corner of that sites map it will show it is actually Google maps you are using. You use VPike who uses Google maps for info. All they do is give you a button right up front. If the info isn't in Google maps you won't see it there either. Of course they are the same as they are exactly the same Google info.
From day one, when I first used vPike it was extremely obvious that it is Google map based.

As I stated, until this conversation, other than very limited vicinity observing when doing searches, I had never used Google Maps per se. However, just for comparison, I have now looked at Google Maps directly through their website ............ absolutely great! But, I still like the format of vPike and will continue to use it.....

Again, I was only sharing the link for those who are not aware. And, as I said, I like it much better. And, obviously there's enough support for it as it has been around several years.