Need more room!

gorms400

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta, 11 Sportwagen
Well Ive learned to love my Jetta again, and I go and find out that the wife is preggers again. It's a little tight with just one three year old in the back, same old story I'm sure. I'm pretty cheap, so was looking at b5.5 passat wagons 04 ish and I found an 04 4 motion with 125k miles on the clock, 1.8t 5 spd, under $6k. Looks clean in the pictures, problem is Im lost with 1.8t's, 4 motion, or Passats in general, as far common issues etc. I guess no Passat tdi's came with a manual in recent years? If so I'm not interested in an auto.

Anyone that can sum those things up will be a hero to me and the wife (who will only sit shotgun). Maybe how bad is maintenance vs my lil old alh? I've probably been spoiled between that and my 12v cummins, but neither will fit 2 car seats very well.

Any input is appreciated,
Cheers

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
The maintenance will be similar. Regular oil changes, tires, brakes, transaxle fluid/filter changes, etc. etc. etc.

The only downside will be that the 1.8t engine is known for sludging itself to death. VW replaced a large number of them. See if you can research the history of that example you are considering to see if it has had the engine replaced. You may want to see a sample of the oil, particularly if you have not given notice to the current owner that you want to see it.

A high quality synthetic oil is required for these.

Good luck,

PH

gorms400

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta, 11 Sportwagen
Good to know, thanks PH. I will do a bit more research I guess. All I have looked for has been at dealerships, so I'm not sure about the history of maintenance, unless it came up in a carfax. Search continues...,