Brake Rotor Splash Shield

TDI-Newbie

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Golf 2003
It has come time to replace my splash shields. One of them completely fell off!!
while i was driving!

Questions:

1. Is there a "How To" out there that i can follow??? :)
2. Do i have to remove my Hub assembly?

My Car:

2003 VW golf tdi

Any help would be appreciated.

I'd also like to mention that i installed ceramic pads in the rear... so could i just drive without the shields?

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
If the splash shield fell off, then it might also be time for new bolts, but I don't remember the size. Probably 4 or 5 mm.

No, you don't need to remove the hub. You might need to get the caliper out of the way, but probably not. It will definitely be easier if you do remove the caliper so you can remove the rotor and directly access the bolts.

Don't sniff any brake dust while you're down there... ;)

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Its a little bitty bolt. Its head is 8 mm. Don't know what the threads are, though.

--Nate

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
We're talking rear brakes on an MKIV (it appears, based on the mention of the ceramics on the rear)...if so, yes hub must come off (e.g. you'll need a new hub). For the brake shield, it's three bolts that you'll want to take your time with as they'll be corroded pretty good if the shield rotted.

Front brake shields as you can tell from above, are easy on easy off with a tiny little bolt.

I replaced one of my rusted rear shields when the bearing went. So I don't have any experience running without them, but I bet you'd be okay.

Last edited:

TDI-Newbie

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Golf 2003
Thanks for all the replies. Yes, I am talking about the rear brakes.

Unfortunately, i don't have the needed tools for that type of job. How much do bearings go for now a days?

Maybe at some point this summer i'll buy the bearing and have the shield replaced...

How much do the "pull" tools go for? the tool to pull off the bearing?

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I have run many other vehicles without them since it's easier to wash off the caliper with it not there. No ill effects on any vehicle since it's just a shield, and there isn't one on the outside of the rotor either.

I'd just replace them when you do the wheel bearing and wouldn't dwell on it too much.

TDI-Newbie

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Golf 2003
my kind of advice!! :)

Cool. I'll wait till i have to replace the bearings then. All bearings seem to be working well.
So no need to spend more money than needed.

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Thanks for all the replies. Yes, I am talking about the rear brakes.

Unfortunately, i don't have the needed tools for that type of job. How much do bearings go for now a days?

Maybe at some point this summer i'll buy the bearing and have the shield replaced...

How much do the "pull" tools go for? the tool to pull off the bearing?
You can rent the puller at any autoparts chain store for a deposit.
The bearings aren't that expensive. $50-$60 IIRC...still hard to justify just to replace a shield.

As far as whether you need the heat (not splash) shield, I presume they are there to protect the rubber dust boot on the caliper and the flexible portion of the brake line. Probably depends on how hard you drive the car, with most being okay without them. Let us know how it goes ;)

Last edited: