Wrong Power Steering Fluid - Warning !

Metalnerd

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 Passat TDI Storm Grey
I failed to use the special VW or Pentosin power steering fluid and may have damaged my rack. I am getting a heavy creeking noise at the end of the rack and may have damaged the seals.

It took a few thousand miles for it to happen and it happened suddenly. I can ony assume that the Valvoline SynPower is the culprit.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
that certainly is bad news. Maybe if you can get Pentosin back in, the problem will relieve itself??

Metalnerd

TDI
96 Passat TDI Storm Grey
Dieseldorf: Your advise was very good.

After having my son turn the wheel with everything shut off and jacked-up, the vibration was from the ends of the rack - sounded and felt like dry o-rings - gripping or grabbing. It was loud even without power or resistance!

I ran out to the VW dealer to get some juice. The local Foreign parts shop was out of stock. I bought enough to drain, fill, recirc, drain and re-fill. Believe it or not, the noise went away almost immediately!. I ran the Valvoline stuff for 9,000 miles without a chirp and after two warm days, the warmth must have accelerated something.

At any rate, I may have lucked out - I don't know how much permanent damage was done but it seems fine now. The steering rack is $600 list at the dealer, REBUILT. Best case, alternative suppliers are probably $400. I'm keeping my toes crossed.

That VW Juice and the Pentosan are as much as $25 per liter but very cheap compared to that rack. The owners manual and the Bentley both said to use the VW product but made no warning about special lube.

Lesson Learned.

DSLSIPR

Veteran Member
TDI
2k-2 Tornado Red Jetta
Thanks for the warning,there is some valvoline syn pwr in my garage waiting for me to get motivated,and off the net.In another thread syn pwr is recommended,looks like I'll go to the local dealer for my share of abuse.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
you can get the factory power steering fluid, CHF Pentosin 11S, for around $12 mail order for a litre.

I think the dealer is around $30 for a litre. Its your money, its your choice!

------------------
96 TDI Wagon, ABS, emerald green
00 Jetta TDI GLS, silver arrow, CWP, LUX1, 5 spd.

Metalnerd

TDI
96 Passat TDI Storm Grey
Thanks a TON for the info. I guess the Valvoline SynPower caused the seals to swell a bit and were squeeking like new tennis shoes on a smooth floor.

I will order a litre more of the stuff to have on hand. I dropped too much money at the dealer this morning ($12/350 ml.)but it was probably worth it.

I drove it for 40 miles since and seems OK so far.

Metalnerd
Toes crossed in da 'burg

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Metalnerd:

At any rate, I may have lucked out - I don't know how much permanent damage was done but it seems fine now. The steering rack is $600 list at the dealer, REBUILT...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OUCH!!
that's what I would call serious financial pain!

Let's hope the fix works.