Sportwagen mirrors unique??

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'16 sportwagen TDI sel 6mt
So I'm creating a shopping list for my 16 sportwagen and one of the things I would "like" is to change the mirrors from white to black.

Oem VW shows that replacement trims are available, but for over $200 per pair...ouch

Ebay has tons of options at a fraction of the price, but none of them show compatibility specifically for a MK7 sportwagen

I have a hard time believing sportwagen mirrors are different than other Mk7 Golfs, are they ?

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Why not just remove the covers and paint them? Most auto parts stores have paint and clear coat.

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
yes, that is an option, but I suck at painting.

This link suggests that the mirrors are not unique because they list other models:

https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen__SportWagen/High-Gloss-Black-Mirror-Caps/69429269/5G0072530A.html

But when I input the part number into google or ebay, it doesn't come up with any cheap options...hard for me to justify the oem price of $220

The cheap ones like this set also shows the CrossGolf as fitting and its the same body as a sportwagen:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/272707824742

So more than likely they will fit....
But since they are coming from Hong Kong, a return will be a hassle

Its probably a case of the TDI Sportwagen being so rare that they don't include it in the fitment list.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Not sure, but I got asymmetrical blind spot reduction glass and they fit fine on my mirrors.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I'd just try painting the oe mirrors first anyhow. They are probably of a better quality than some Chinese repro's. If you screw up, just wet sand the paint off and try again.

Borsig

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
They are the same. Alltrack mirrors are silver.

A can of plasti dip is $6. And its removable

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Great, thanks

Here what the "Crossgolf" looks like with black mirrors

https://listado.mercadolibre.com.mx/golf-crossgolf#D[A:golf-crossgolf]

I also like the black fender and lower trim pieces. Might try to source them here.

Now if VW had only lifted it and offered it with a TDI and stick shift !

I test drove one the 1.4 tsi/DSG models and I thought the time from when I pressed the gas pedal to when the car moved was painfully slow. A deal breaker for me when you have to drive in traffic and change lanes etc.