Help with buying decision TDI wagen 2016, urgent

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'16 sportwagen TDI sel 6mt
Hello from Mexico, the land of one meeelion speed bumps and potholes....

I have an amazing opportunity to purchase a brand new, still in plastic 2016 SEL TDI sportwagen 6 speed manual for the unbelievable price of $16k from a dealer!! This is a $32k car in the states I think.

This is pretty much a perfect car for me .....except that it sits very low to the ground and has a "sport tuned" suspension. Great for the smooth roads roads in the USA, but not optimal for here in Mexico.

I am willing to make modifications, the first will be to replace the 18" rims with 15" ones and install tall tires and run them slightly under inflated most of the time.

Please tell me there is a way to raise the ride height without making the ride firmer, softer is better for me

I need to decide on this car by tomorrow....HELP

P.S, my current car in the states is a 2001 Jetta wagen, stick, 2.0 gas and I LOVE IT but I cannot import it into Mexico..

Another issue just came up.....
Apparently this is a car which was built for the USA, but was never shipped ( probably due to emissiongate ) The fuel filler still has a warning label to only use ULSD, which is not guaranteed to be available in Mexico. The VW salesmen claims that the car was modified for Mexican use and that the emission system warning has been disabled and that Adblue is not even required.
I read that ULSD will be AVAILABLE everywhere in Mexico, but not until dec 2018. Will running high sulphur diesel ruin the DPF filter even though the warning system has been disabled?

Assuming the DPF will get clogged with high sulphur fuel, does anyone make a def delete pipe for this car? I assume a computer reflash will be required to eliminate the DPF warning light...

Thanks !, sorry for the multiple questions..

Last edited:

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Hello from Mexico, the land of one meeelion speed bumps and potholes....

I have an amazing opportunity to purchase a brand new, still in plastic 2016 SEL TDI sportwagen 6 speed manual for the unbelievable price of $16k from a dealer!! This is a $32k car in the states I think.

This is pretty much a perfect car for me .....except that it sits very low to the ground and has a "sport tuned" suspension. Great for the smooth roads roads in the USA, but not optimal for here in Mexico.

I am willing to make modifications, the first will be to replace the 18" rims with 15" ones and install tall tires and run them slightly under inflated most of the time.

Please tell me there is a way to raise the ride height without making the ride firmer, softer is better for me

I need to decide on this car by tomorrow....HELP

P.S, my current car in the states is a 2001 Jetta wagen, stick, 2.0 gas and I LOVE IT but I cannot import it into Mexico..

Another issue just came up.....
Apparently this is a car which was built for the USA, but was never shipped ( probably due to emissiongate ) The fuel filler still has a warning label to only use ULSD, which is not guaranteed to be available in Mexico. The VW salesmen claims that the car was modified for Mexican use and that the emission system warning has been disabled and that Adblue is not even required.
I read that ULSD will be AVAILABLE everywhere in Mexico, but not until dec 2018. Will running high sulphur diesel ruin the DPF filter even though the warning system has been disabled?

Assuming the DPF will get clogged with high sulphur fuel, does anyone make a def delete pipe for this car? I assume a computer reflash will be required to eliminate the DPF warning light...

Thanks !, sorry for the multiple questions..
Weird that it's lowered at all, being brand new, but at that price, I'd jump on it and get a DPF delete and tune from the states. Malone with the option of Flashzilla so you can update the tune remotely (sending files to the tune vendor). If it's actually lower, you could maybe put some springs like what we have here as I feel our cars sit a bit high for my taste.

Finding someone to swap wheels shouldn't be a problem. I have a good friend here in the states, from Mexico that visits family often. I'll send a link to him, maybe he'll have some guidance. I think he'd taken his 09 TDI down multiple times, RE: the fueling situation.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
maybe lowered compared to regular offerings.

search for Rawtek, they make a delete pipe, should be the same as 2015, Malone provides tuning.

I'd have to imagine a dealer is providing a DEF tune that's not sanctioned by VWoA.

marcusku

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen, 15', red
I was able to swap the 18" wheels to 15" off a Golf TSI S at the dealer. If you're lucky maybe they'd give some kind of credit for the "downgrade". Not sure what the "sport tuned" suspension is. From what I can tell in Europe they put "sport" suspension on GTD, Bluemotion, GTI, and R models which is 15 mm lower than the other models. I wouldn't have thought it would come that way here. What color dots are there on the front springs? Sounds like a great deal, I'd go for it! Jealous of the 16' model year!

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the info on the def delete. The car comes with a 2 year warranty and an option for another year for about $600.

I notice that the car sits low as it comes from the factory, probably the same as us models, but low as compared to other options such a small crossovers etc. I don't mind sacrificing some cornering ability for some more ground clearance and suspension travel.
The rear looks like it would be simple to raise with spacers or taller springs, I wonder if front struts from the Alltrak edition could be installed....
I read somewhere about Tiguan springs, but only for older models ?

Anyway, it seems every vehicle has some compromises but a super firm suspension might be hard to live with here.
I think installing taller than stock 15" tires will help a lot with ride quality over rough roads.
Anyone know what the maximum diameter tire will fit without rubbing?

Im think maybe a 215/65/15 tire would be a good choice, not sure if it will fit though.

jtree

TDI
2016 sportwagen TDI SE
Today I bought one of these cars, a 2016 TDI wagon with DSG and drivers assistance. From what I understand the diesel fuel in and around Mexico City is ULSD.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
$16,000 is a super tempting price. However, I would pass. I have very little confidence in the long term reliability of the vehicle. It’s a unicorn, parts will be limited, dealers won’t know what to do with them, and being in Mexico, potential problems could be even more difficult to get resolved.

Just my $0.02, since you asked. :)

sportwagen3

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SE
Hey Mxtdiguy. Do you have VCDS by any chance? Could you provide your coding for the 5f module? I did the MIB 2 conversion. TIA

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey Mxtdiguy. Do you have VCDS by any chance? Could you provide your coding for the 5f module? I did the MIB 2 conversion. TIA

I ordered it, but haven't received it yet.

Sorry, but I'm new to the whole VCDS coding thing, I don't even know what 5f or MIB 2 mean..LOL

Big learning curve ahead.for me

On that subject, is there a place where all the possible codings are compiled for our MK7's

I've read numerous threads where someone did something, but finding all those postings again will be difficult.

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
$16,000 is a super tempting price. However, I would pass. I have very little confidence in the long term reliability of the vehicle. It’s a unicorn, parts will be limited, dealers won’t know what to do with them, and being in Mexico, potential problems could be even more difficult to get resolved.

Just my $0.02, since you asked. :)
Thanks. I guess I will have to "live" with a unicorn one of one TDI :)

There are assembled in Mexico, so parts shouldn't be a problem.

sportwagen3

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SE
Nvm I figured out the 5f coding to get my MIB2 conversion to work.

hause

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
MK4 Golf Tdi... all souped up also a MK7 Sportwagen on its way to greatness
Sounds like you bought it, great deal man! Does your car not come with the VAG extended warrenty? I recently pre-ordered lift springs from IDparts I think it was, they should solve your problem.

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Sounds like you bought it, great deal man! Does your car not come with the VAG extended warrenty? I recently pre-ordered lift springs from IDparts I think it was, they should solve your problem.

Yes, very happy with it so far, amazing car for the money. As far as I know it may be the only 2016 SEL 6mt tdi gsw other than in Europe.

No, it does not come with extended warranty, just two years. For the price, I can't really complain.

I saw the ID parts lift kit, but since I won't be able to receive them when they get them in stock, I decided to wait, plus I purchased a set of Spaccer spacers which I might just install with the existing springs.

Also, I would like to know whether the rear springs they supply ( from A Q5 I believe ) are stiffer ( my guess they are ), longer, or both. I would prefer not to have stiffer springs. Please report on the springs when you install them.