Crankshaft giirdle

Festa

Veteran Member
TDI
Vw t5 van
Hi Guys.
At what point in a build would you consider the above?
The reason I ask is having just done a rebuild and I have had a cylinder lining fail after 1800 miles.
Something has been going on as there is signs of the conrods hitting the bottom of the linings :( As it's a five cylinder I'm trying to work out if the engine is flexing to break the liner at the point of the register at the top of the chamber. It hasn't cracked downward in the bore but around the diameter, this has meant the lining has now been sliding/dragged down as there is nothing to stop it until it's consumed by the conrods. The top compression ring has hooked on the broken edge and has pulled the back off the piston so you can only imagine the rest....not a pretty sight.
So why has the lining broken and the only thing I can think off is the flex in the engine.
I've looked at the touareg v10 and by the looks it's a one piece frame with the crankshaft caps attached and it looks like a pain to modify, as my oil pump is gear driven.
Does the oil pump have to be moved depending on what frame is fitted ? it's all new to me :)
Thanks in advance