what's normal idle?

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
800 was normal idle in my other two CR TDI's, but in 6 weeks of ownership i've noticed it runs just under 1000 about half of the time. i know it's not trying to regen that often, as the fan doesn't kick on when i shut her down.
and i have noticed that it will sometimes back down to 800 when brake is stepped on all the way.

Darth_Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW, DSG
800 was normal idle in my other two CR TDI's, but in 6 weeks of ownership i've noticed it runs just under 1000 about half of the time. i know it's not trying to regen that often, as the fan doesn't kick on when i shut her down.
and i have noticed that it will sometimes back down to 800 when brake is stepped on all the way.
I had a 2010 jsw that idle at 800 and gave it back to the dealer to buy a 15gsw like you. Noticed the same thing.
After the "fix" the transmission was tweaked to run idle at 1000 instead of 800, except when you are at a stop with the brake pressed hard. It was one of the changes with the fix and I don't really like it but will not pay for a dsg tune

marcusku

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen, 15', red
I've noted it seems to kick the idle up when the A/C is running. Not sure why it would do that though unless it's an emissions thing with the extra load at idle.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Mine also idles at 1000 until I'm stopped for a bit. Then it goes down to 750 to 800. I have no need for A/C, so it happens in normal driving.

Last edited:

Darth_Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW, DSG
I've noted it seems to kick the idle up when the A/C is running. Not sure why it would do that though unless it's an emissions thing with the extra load at idle.
That happens on a lot of cars, not just tdi. If the ac compressor is putting a large load on the engine, it could stall it at idle so it runs a little higher to keep it going. Nothing to do with diesels or emissions

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
wouldn't mind it if they had simply put in a dash light to tell you when a regen is happening.
how hard would that have been?

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Realistically unless you have digital RPM readout you are only guessing the RPM's.
My ScanGauge at idle read 830 Rpm before the Phase 1 fix and it still read 830 Rpm's after the software fix.

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
still, some sort of notification of regen would be nice... is there a way to mod this in VCDS?

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
Torque set up with a temp alarm on the dpf will get you what you want.
cool, that'll do. it'll be nice to know before i'm a block away from home so i have enough warning to let it finish... need to pull the trigger on a hex-net

grey matter

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Golf Trendline DSG
The Torque Pro App works great. I randomly look at the EGT temps or temperatures at the cat while driving. The EGT's jump way up as well as the cat temps during regen. I also noticed the car shifts different (DSG) , downshifts sooner too while in regen. The 2015 definitely runs a lot cooler then the 2013, a good 10 degrees overall. I've also noticed the idle seems pretty low at 750 - 800 rpm.s

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I use a Scangauge II for that and many other readouts. For DEF, CAT, EGR readings you have to create gauges on the Scangauge II, instructions are to be found on the web or here in the forums. As a matter of fact yesterday when I got home my CAT and EGR readings were at around 1,200 degrees which told me that it was in re-gen mode. So I just waited with the engine running in idle and watched the temps go down to just over 300 degrees in a few minutes. Then shut the engine off.