Balance Shaft Upgrade Shops

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Posting this for anyone who is looking for someone in their area to do the balance shaft gear drive upgrade to their 2004/2005 BHW Passat TDI. I get a lot of calls, emails, PMs, etc. from all over, and while I love to have visitors from all over and welcome everyone, I know it is not always easy nor realistic for someone to visit Missouri from far away. Also, these folks would be good sources for normal PM, as many of the 'gurus' here for whatever reason seem to be frightened to death of B5s. I have no idea why, but...

I will update this list in this first post, please PM me if you would like to be added to the list with any contact info you want posted.

Midwest:

Car-Doc Automotive, Inc. (St. Louis, MO)
www.cardocautomotive.com

CoolAirVW (Kansas City, MO)
www.kansascityTDI.com
coolairvw@aol.com

Anuthee Huffstetter
Golden, CO
www.dieselland.net

Marty:
www.martinbergelllc.com

East/Northeast:

JA Autowerks LLC
193 Newman Springs Rd.
Shrewsbury, NJ 07702
(732) 691-2335
http://www.jaautowerks.com/

Schnell Snail Performance
3 Spruce St
Wareham Massachusetts
(508) 295-2894
http://www.schnellvw.com/

hevster1 (New Jersey)
hevster1@yahoo.com

TDIJetta99 (Port Jervis, NY)
tdijetta99@gmail.com

k harley
KMH Motors (North Chelmsford, MA)
Keith Harley
ph: 978.766.9151
www.kmhmotors.com

Mair's Continental Motors
1455 Friedensburg Rd
Reading PA 19606
610-779-3555 Contact Jeff Baird or Rolf Mair
website www.mairscontinentalmotors.com

Mike McCann
Aka 94x
Westhampton MA
413-455-5602
TdiMike@comcast.net

Northwest:

fixumrich (Portland, OR)
Fix um haus
www.fixumhaus.com

Southeast:

VWSHPFRMN (Coconut Creek, FL)
www.gunthervw.net
ph: 954.590.3806

German Performance Auto
1227 Lebanon Pike
Nashville, TN 37210
gpotuning@gmail.com
615-248-9466

Jeff Spitzer (vwztips)
Greenville, SC
864-609-9246
jaspitzer@charter.net

Southwest/SoCal:

Harvieux (Whittier, CA)
Wild Rose Motors, Ltd.
www.vwtdionly.com

Autowerkstat in San Jose CA.
463 Blossom Hill Road, Unit G, San Jose, CA 95123
(408)224-1952
Fax (408)224-1056
email chris@autowerkstat.com
http://www.autowerkstat.com

South:

runonbeer (Austin, TX)
Robby Plenge
www.runonbeer.com

mtbr297 (Fort Worth, TX)
Steve Glover
ph: 817.915.4063

Digi Sport Performance
110a Rose Lane
Suite 104
Frisco, TX 75034
214-257-8221

Canada:

VDUBTECH (Toronto)
Brandon Pilkey
DCB Auto Repairs

Ability Auto
Pickering, ON, Canada
1016 Brock Rd Unit #2
416-520-4870

Last edited:

glensamm

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
Thanks, Oilhammer. I logged on right now specifically to see if someone could make a list of people who do the balance shaft upgrade. Looks like there isn't anyone too terribly close to Atlanta.

I just purchased a 2005 Passat TDI, and the gas mileage is great. Unfortunately, I'm almost afraid to drive it. It has 108,000 miles and I'm afraid that if the timing belt doesn't break, maybe the balance shaft chain will! I gotta get it to either you or Pete down in South Florida. (I'm about midway between the two of you.)

Anyway, thanks for the list, and I hope the list grows longer. Anybody know of someone in Atlanta skilled at this?

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS, 2014 NMS Passat TDI SEL Premium
Anyway, thanks for the list, and I hope the list grows longer. Anybody know of someone in Atlanta skilled at this?
Roger Feldt in Hampton did mine. I was extremely happy with his work. His contact info is in the Trusted TDI Mechanics thread in the 101 section of the forums.

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
Clarkdale VW in Vancouver, BC did mine under warrantee and they have done at least two as of Oct 2009. No doubt more now- so they are familiar with the issue.

L Wallack

TDI
2005 Passat Sedan
I had my done at Hertzog Meirer in Beaverton. They have done at least two including mine. I was referred to them by Esquire Motors in Portland.

oilhammer

TDI
If you wish to have someone added to the list, I would appreciate a PM with their info, as complete as possible, and before you do this PLEASE ask their permission. Thanks! :)

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
No. No Northern CA.

I don't do them either.

biot

TDI
Passat 2005 TDI
Miami Mechanic

I have been using a mechanic in Miami to do all my work and he did the balance shaft conversion for me about 40,000 miles ago. No problems or issues since then. His name is Benjamin. Anyone needing his information just send me a message and I will send it to you.

Optimus

TDI
05 Passat GLS TDI
Anyone recommend a shop near S. MD? I'm on an extended warranty that will hopefully cover it. Not sure if I need the BSM to actually fail to be covered or not, hopefully not!
Thanks

quattroluvr

TDI
'05 TDI Passat GLS Wagon
You can add Double J Motorwerks, LLC
5541 NE 122nd Ste.330
Portland, OR 97230
503-853-0200

They did a nice job on my B5.5 Passat TDI wagon

huntingman2706217

TDI
05 Passat TDI
i was told there was someone in Hampton G.A. somewhere? i need to find this guy... 110k now and havent touched the timing belt either... wanna get it all done...

JackSquat

TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDI
Just had mine done with the timing belt at 86k miles. I talked to my long-time mechanic who specializes in German cars and although he had never done the procedure, he was confident it would be no problem. So far so good!

My only issue was that the chain-driven parts he removed showed absolutely no signs of irregular wear or imminent failure. So now I am left wondering whether to feel lucky that my car is in good shape or foolish for listening to the "alarmist yahoos" on this board (as my wife calls them/you/us).

Anyhow, my mechanic is great and now has one BS module under his belt.

Tioga Honigmann
Automotive Solutions
2809 White Cross Road
Chapel Hill, NC 27516
(919) 933-3884

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
eastern pennsylvania: Don at d'ambrosio vw 610-269-9500

jek

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat, 05 Passat
Metric Mechanic, another Missouri shop about two hours south west of st. louis on I44. Talk to Courtney. He can and will do anything at an amazing price and quality! 573-765-1269 two thumbs up!

oilhammer

TDI
I have one from CT and one from Indiana right now.
I just did one from Indiana today... and one from Kentucky... and the other one from Kentucky just left... and there is another one here just finished from Pennsylvania that I am waiting for the ECU to come back from RC.

It has been a busy week here. And the week is not over. :p

Swingboy01

TDI
2005 Passat TDI Wagon LOVE IT!!!
New shop in Ellensburg, WA.

Eastside Automotive Inc.
500 South Main Street
Ellensburg, WA 98926-3637
(509) 962-8484

The guy to ask for is Mike.

Good work, well organized, and well put together.

seugnigg

TDI
2004 Golf TDI & 2005 Passat 2.0 TDI
Noises +++

Can somebody help me with the questions I have?

I am new to the TDI group.
I've got a 2004 Golf TDI with now 215,000Km on it. I replaced the timing belt and water pump at 190,00Km. Old timing belt looked fine but did it anyway since I did not want to have major engine repairs at some point down the road. Is there balance shafts in this one?

Earlier this year I purchased a used 2005 Passat Wagon GLS TDI.
The engine shakes badly. Odometer shows 173,000 Km now. I've driven about 15,000 Km since I purchased it.
Have a few issues with it.

1) Right headlight shakes badly when idling and tranny is in gear.

2) Serpentine belt also vibrates a lot and there is a constant rumble and worst noise coming from the idler pulley when the engine is warn and running idle in gear. If I put the tranny in neutral and increase the engine speed to 1,100 RPM the noise goes away. What could be causing this noise? Idler pulley system and serpentine belt were replaced and within a few days the noise was back. It's very anoying when you are stopped and the engine is making all this racket. Passer by are having a second look at the car and wonder if something is going to come out of the engine compartment.

3) Saw the posting about the balanced shaft upgrade. I find it kind of odd that the crank gear does not have a key to line up the gear with. How can the timing of the balance shaft be accurate if there is no way of knowing where the gars are supposed to line up? I am seriously considering doing the timing belt replacement since I have no way of knowing if it has been done or not and at the same time I'll be doing the balance shaft. Obviously replacing the chain for the same antiquated technology is absurd. And from what I see it looks and sounds like the better way to go is with the geared system.

Advise would be appreciated.

PS, just got a recall letter a few days ago regarding TDI's being difficult to start when below freezing temp.
I don't have any problem with the Golf but the Passat is a diffrent story.
I is parked in the garage and the temp. is about 5C and it has been sitting for a few days, I have to try to crank it a few times before it will go and when it does, it is not pretty to hear. Marble +++ in the engine feels like its not starting on all cylinders and belching smoke like crazy. Hope the recall will fix the problem. I live in Calgary Alberta and when it gets cold i really gets cold.
I'm afraid to even take the car if will sit outside for longer then half a day outside when the temperature is colder then -5C because I can't tell if it will start or not.

Thanks

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Can somebody help me with the questions I have?

I am new to the TDI group.
I've got a 2004 Golf TDI with now 215,000Km on it. I replaced the timing belt and water pump at 190,00Km. Old timing belt looked fine but did it anyway since I did not want to have major engine repairs at some point down the road. Is there balance shafts in this one?

Earlier this year I purchased a used 2005 Passat Wagon GLS TDI.
The engine shakes badly. Odometer shows 173,000 Km now. I've driven about 15,000 Km since I purchased it.
Have a few issues with it.

1) Right headlight shakes badly when idling and tranny is in gear.

2) Serpentine belt also vibrates a lot and there is a constant rumble and worst noise coming from the idler pulley when the engine is warn and running idle in gear. If I put the tranny in neutral and increase the engine speed to 1,100 RPM the noise goes away. What could be causing this noise? Idler pulley system and serpentine belt were replaced and within a few days the noise was back. It's very anoying when you are stopped and the engine is making all this racket. Passer by are having a second look at the car and wonder if something is going to come out of the engine compartment.

3) Saw the posting about the balanced shaft upgrade. I find it kind of odd that the crank gear does not have a key to line up the gear with. How can the timing of the balance shaft be accurate if there is no way of knowing where the gars are supposed to line up? I am seriously considering doing the timing belt replacement since I have no way of knowing if it has been done or not and at the same time I'll be doing the balance shaft. Obviously replacing the chain for the same antiquated technology is absurd. And from what I see it looks and sounds like the better way to go is with the geared system.

Advise would be appreciated.

PS, just got a recall letter a few days ago regarding TDI's being difficult to start when below freezing temp.
I don't have any problem with the Golf but the Passat is a diffrent story.
I is parked in the garage and the temp. is about 5C and it has been sitting for a few days, I have to try to crank it a few times before it will go and when it does, it is not pretty to hear. Marble +++ in the engine feels like its not starting on all cylinders and belching smoke like crazy. Hope the recall will fix the problem. I live in Calgary Alberta and when it gets cold i really gets cold.
I'm afraid to even take the car if will sit outside for longer then half a day outside when the temperature is colder then -5C because I can't tell if it will start or not.

Thanks
Double posting is a NO-NO, especially in the wrong thread.:mad: