golf 2000 Flash Red
Been there, done that.
Absolute waste of time and money.

The stock airbox is 100 times better!!!

mydeathbynapalm

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2002, Reflex Silver
Eh...Friend of mine has it installed...not sure how much of a difference there has been. Another has it ready to install.

Would work well if one has moved the battery and position the BMC for more ram air channeling. Also can get it in different sizes...like if one wanted to use a larger MAF housing.

Piranha

Veteran Member
TDI
golf 2000 Flash Red
I had one and removed it,
The stock TDI airbox has a ram effect on it's own and it picks air up from one of the highest pressure areas on the car.

+ the OE paper filter is much less restrictave than you would imagine, + it actually cleans the air up (unlike K&N style filters).

Apart from that the BMC airbox is rather restrictive.

This topic has been beaten to death and resurrected millions of times!!

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
So, can you just confirm Piranha, that due to your posts being a little vague, you actually don't think they're a good idea? :D ;) LOL.

I'm thinking about getting one for mine as it would be an improvement. But my intake pipe is in a different place - Mine sticks out near the bonnet grille, and it has to go in, up and back around in my airbox - A BMC would mean just one pipe with a slight bend in it.

Link977

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
OK, if it is no good, is there any other way that can make our TDIs to get better and cooler air?

mydeathbynapalm

Veteran Member
TDI
Piranha said:
I had one and removed it,
The stock TDI airbox has a ram effect on it's own and it picks air up from one of the highest pressure areas on the car.

+ the OE paper filter is much less restrictave than you would imagine, + it actually cleans the air up (unlike K&N style filters).

Apart from that the BMC airbox is rather restrictive.
Yes, stock uses a ram air. It can be more affective like this...notice using both sides of upper rad. support:

And the BMC airbox would be nice addition to that setup without crafting a huge custom airbox.

You sure it uses an oiled filter like K&N...thought it was just a paper filter. But the BMC site does say it's a washable filter.(no mention of using oil though) How is it restrictive? You got less power using it? They are expensive...might have you expected a little more from it than you actually got? *just playing devil's advocate*

Piranha

Veteran Member
TDI
golf 2000 Flash Red
Napalm.
wooooww HUGE airbox.

I had a BMC and went through 3 mafs in acouple months due to the oiled filter element.
Read all over these forum, I'm pretty sure you'll get the msg.

IMO the best upgrade would be a PD150 airbox and intake.

as yet I'm having no probolems with the stock airbox with 25psi boost and supporting fuel + I've had the same maf for more than 2 years now.

mydeathbynapalm

Veteran Member
TDI
Ahhh...oiled filter...bummer. Not my cup of tea...oil residue of anysort spells death of MAF. Just surprised one can't use a paper cone filter with the BMC...guess not???

As for the airbox/setup above... I thought I gave credit to the owner...it was made (and is in use by) Turbobuilder. I just used it as point for ram air and getting more of it with 2 points on the front instead of the stock 1. One of my favorite engine photos where function and form is oh so sweet.

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
hatemi said:
I thought the CDA was a dry filter...
I think it is still oiled, but quite lightly. Not heard of any TDIs popping in the UK with them (yet) - I have a mate running a 300bhp Audi TDI quattro with one, and I'm sure he's still on his first MAF as well.

Justler

Veteran Member
BMC can use a dry filter element, Pirahna's failures were most likely due to an over-oiled filter. K&N has specific directions on how to correctly oil a filter.

This is another case of misinformation. In NA spec cars, what everyone calls "ram air" or "vw installed a cold air intake for you". Is fairly restrictive. A BMC or any "cold air intake" kit, gives you larger plumbing than factory and in some cases, a more free-flowing filter.

The BMC box allows you to place the cone filter inside the engine compartment in a box, while having another piece of intake piping being fed from the same area as the original airbox (around the drivers side headlight). Instead of a normal cone filter on the end of the pipe setup. To me, this seems like a much better option, because you can fit tubing into place better.

I'm sure you can use oiled or dry filters, but i'd recommend an AMSoil dry filter because most people can't oil filters correctly and thus, blow numerous mafs. A larger intake will make a difference, and the BMC product is not useless... Just ask all the people that upgraded to VR6/R32 airboxes after years of naysaying against cold air intakes.

Last edited:

fishmando

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 5 spd
I have a custom CAI with a K&N cone and I like it. It probably doesn't help performance much but it makes a nice sound. I should probably switch to a non-oiled filter.

devonmikeyboy

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 2.0 PD140 Quattro S-Line
I had one on my Seat Ibiza PD130, Ibiza PD160 and now on my Audi and never destoryed a MAF or heared anyone doing so, destoryed one of the cars but not the MAF.Piranha you must have really been over oiling the filter to kill three MAF`s

Piranha

Veteran Member
TDI
golf 2000 Flash Red
fishmando said:
I have a custom CAI with a K&N cone and I like it. It probably doesn't help performance much but it makes a nice sound. I should probably switch to a non-oiled filter.
The filter was facory oil, and I never oild the filter myself (it only staye don for a couple thousand miles.

The CDA IS an oiled filter and the piping is the same size as the stock tid, so no gains in flow.

IMO the best (and one of a few viable) upgraades is a PD 150 airbox, ducting and piping (or a custom made filter with a larger paper filter, pipes and airbox).

I don;t know what this facination is with K&N and oiled filters, Their marketing hype really seems to work, at the expence of ppl pockets and MAF's

fishmando

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 5 spd
I haven't killed a MAF yet with my K&N and I have a spare one (MAF) sitting on my parts shelf.... Oiling it is pretty easy and you can shop-vac it to remove excess oil.

Justler

Veteran Member
Piranha said:
The filter was facory oil, and I never oild the filter myself (it only staye don for a couple thousand miles.

The CDA IS an oiled filter and the piping is the same size as the stock tid, so no gains in flow.

IMO the best (and one of a few viable) upgraades is a PD 150 airbox, ducting and piping (or a custom made filter with a larger paper filter, pipes and airbox).

I don;t know what this facination is with K&N and oiled filters, Their marketing hype really seems to work, at the expence of ppl pockets and MAF's
The stock pipe from behind the headlight is one of the main restrictions in the stock system here on at least ALH engines. the BMC piping is larger than that.

Doc_Oc

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI
VwPodRacer said:
SNAP!!! HAHA, nice end to a debate :)

I use an evo motorsport CAI with a HUGE 9" tall AmsOil cone. I didn't feel a difference in the car's behaviour when I put it in, but I sure love the sound.
I bet you need more than just a CAI to feel something on the car. If you do couple the CAI with a FMIC, larger exhaust/DP, intake manifold and TIP you will see the smoke being GREATLY reduced, a beter responsivness of the engine, easier and faster reving engine...and most likely more than few ponnies. Remember that what goes in, has to go out as well. If you increase the capacity of the intake, but keep the exhaust stock...you get my point.
And also, MAF and MAP are still governing the amount of boost and injected fuel, unless a remap happens.

Link977

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Doc_Oc said:
SNAP!!! HAHA, nice end to a debate :)

I use an evo motorsport CAI with a HUGE 9" tall AmsOil cone. I didn't feel a difference in the car's behaviour when I put it in, but I sure love the sound.
I bet you need more than just a CAI to feel something on the car. If you do couple the CAI with a FMIC, larger exhaust/DP, intake manifold and TIP you will see the smoke being GREATLY reduced, a beter responsivness of the engine, easier and faster reving engine...and most likely more than few ponnies. Remember that what goes in, has to go out as well. If you increase the capacity of the intake, but keep the exhaust stock...you get my point.
And also, MAF and MAP are still governing the amount of boost and injected fuel, unless a remap happens.
Oh ya~ every mod needs other mods to match.:cool:

Piranha

Veteran Member
TDI
golf 2000 Flash Red
And you guys actually beleive the advertising,
I soo pity you.

Just a "induction" kits will do nothing (or as they do with bikes, decrease HP).

Since the
pipe behind the headlight is the restriction, you'd be wayy better off, fitting a bigger one (and modding the stock airbox) than install an oiled "induction kit".

It' a case of been there, done that, mod the stock airbox (or spend $1600 at the stealer for a PD150 intake)

Here come my 3" or 4" holesaw and piping (the largest that I can get to fit!!)

Justler

Veteran Member
You're retarded.

Piranha said:
And you guys actually beleive the advertising,
I soo pity you.

Just a "induction" kits will do nothing (or as they do with bikes, decrease HP).

Since the
pipe behind the headlight is the restriction, you'd be wayy better off, fitting a bigger one (and modding the stock airbox) than install an oiled "induction kit".

It' a case of been there, done that, mod the stock airbox (or spend $1600 at the stealer for a PD150 intake)

Here come my 3" or 4" holesaw and piping (the largest that I can get to fit!!)

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Only upgrade I am doing as far as the airbox is concerned is a R32 airbox/snorkel along with the R32 MAF housing and 3 3/8" piping down to the turbo inlet. Stock cold weather filter.

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
-Whitey: 2000 Jetta GLS, Red: 2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
The biggest restriction is the POS 90* bend and 1' of small plastic pipe entering the turbo intake.

IMHO what is needed is a "Tee" rather than a 90* bend.

|
L = shape of 90* bottom of OEM air pipe to turbo

|
|- = shape of the bottom of my proposed turbo air intake pipe

The bottom of the "Tee" is called a "well". The well is there to catch debris and CCV blow-by oil where it can be drained easily with a tap and hose to a catch bottle (or not?).

Also I would like to see a metal screen over the intake hole to my turbo to stop any debris that might find its way into the intake pipe from the CCV as we have seen two cases of recently. At least with the "Tee-well", a hard crud-rock can be thrown OUT of the compressor blades on the first impact and hopefully fall safely into the well. With the OEM pipe and no safety screen, any FOD that is too large to pass between the vanes is flung out and up the intake pipe where it MUST roll back down the pipe and into the spinning compressor wheel again and again until it is ground up small enough to pass through the wheel or until the wheel breaks which is the usual result.

Forensic inspection of FOD (foreign object damage) to a failed compressor usually shows hundreds if not thousands of impact marks to the inside compressor inlet confirming the reingestion issue.

Fix the compressor inlet end of the air pipe FIRST!!!!! Then worry about the 2.75" flexible hose, airbox and ram air...

Awesome intake system there MyDeathByNapalm!!!

frank p

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
i myself had a bmc f1 filter in mine. $80 to find out it was not an improvement & got educated by my mech. on what it can potentialy do to my maf