Sport Seat Seam Splitting (GOLF)

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Hey guys,

I have a set of the sport seats in red that are heated (and with airbags). I'll be wiring in the heating here as soon as I get the harness, but another problem has started and is progressively getting worse by the day: the seam on the drivers seat is starting to fray/tear.

It's unlikely that I'll be able to find this OEM cover anymore (at a reasonable price) so I'm looking for some advice as what to do here. It doesn't look like something that could just be patched and sewed. Anyone with sport seats experience this and have a solution?

If not, are there any seat covers that form fit these seats reasonably well (not Wet Okle. Don't get me wrong, great covers, but not looking to drop that kind of coin) because of the bolsters? Any advice would appreciated for this scenario. Thanks in advance!

Also, does anyone know why embedding photos in this forum doesn't automatically re-scale the images to forum friendly sizes? All the other photos I have that I post on alternate forums I can just post in their original size and they scale down for posts. Seems on this forum I have to manually edit the image size before I post the embedded link

Last edited:

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Might want to check with a good upholstery shop.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Might want to check with a good upholstery shop.
Yeah for sure. The only thing that worries me, and why this issue seems to have started...the actual sport cloth is getting brittle in those seam areas and just breaking. Never seen such a thing before. I'd wonder what they'ed stitch into that isn't part of that brittle cloth.

Anyone tried those iron on patches? I know it won't look good...

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sometimes it's best to wait on a worry until after checking with a professional (who has been exposed to many times more of these things than we have).

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
Is this on the bottom cushion or the upper section?

If it's the bottom, you can use the passenger side of a used 1, as it might be in much better shape.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Is this on the bottom cushion or the upper section?

If it's the bottom, you can use the passenger side of a used 1, as it might be in much better shape.
Yes this is the bottom cushion. Are you just saying swap the passenger to the driver?

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
Yes this is the bottom cushion. Are you just saying swap the passenger to the driver?
That wasn't the intent of my original post, but it could work if you want.

I was trying to suggest finding a used passenger seat cover in good shape is a LOT more likely than finding an affordable new or good condition used drivers seat bottom cover.

Nonetheless finding that color/pattern/style is going to be a challenge no matter what.

Good luck

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
I have sport cloth with black & grey. Mine isn't tearing, but most that I have seen over the last few years are similar to yours. I formerly thought the condition was exacerbated by seat heat, but it happens to non-heat seats, too. Given that black & red sport cloth (and black & blue) in NA is usually 14-15 years old, it's probably just from use and age. There was a set of round bolster red sport cloth for sale on the vortex a while back, but they were worse than the pictures you posted.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
That wasn't the intent of my original post, but it could work if you want.

I was trying to suggest finding a used passenger seat cover in good shape is a LOT more likely than finding an affordable new or good condition used drivers seat bottom cover.

Nonetheless finding that color/pattern/style is going to be a challenge no matter what.

Good luck
Ah ok yes I agree this color combo is pretty rare

I have sport cloth with black & grey. Mine isn't tearing, but most that I have seen over the last few years are similar to yours. I formerly thought the condition was exacerbated by seat heat, but it happens to non-heat seats, too. Given that black & red sport cloth (and black & blue) in NA is usually 14-15 years old, it's probably just from use and age. There was a set of round bolster red sport cloth for sale on the vortex a while back, but they were worse than the pictures you posted.
Yeah it wouldn't be because of heat on my end, I didn't know they had heat until last week (and I'll be adding heat this week to them).

Guess I may have to begin the search for seat covers

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Might try looking across the pond. Shipping can be a bit pricey, but sometimes all added up it's worth it.