Replace Flywheel?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
With every clutch replacement? I'm having to prematurely replace my SouthBend stage 2 clutch as my second gear is going out on my tranny. I probably have 50% life left in clutch. I was gonna replace pressure plate and disc and bearing. Can I reuse the sm flywheel? Or replace everything? Thanks

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5, '01 A4 Jetta sedans, 5 sp box, Hamman mod, Joey mod, Bilsteins, 2.00" lift
It's tempting. But AFAIK the clutch disc needs to wear in with the flywheel surface if you really want it to work right. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to shed some more light on this.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
You don't have to replace the flywheel, but you may want to have it resurfaced. This is especially true if the disc has a non-organic surface on the flywheel side, such as sintered iron. These materials can be very slow to confirm to irregularities in the flywheel surface and will result in a slipping clutch.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
I may just reinstall the southbend clutch as my first clutch lasted 300k miles and this clutch only has 70k on it, mostly freeway miles.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
What was your first clutch?

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
So, another "crappy" stock DMF known to have managed to hit the 300k mile mark!:cool:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
So you have an SBC clutch with combined with an OE dual mass flywheel? If so, you've had it a while. They haven't made those in some time.

If you do have the DMF, your most economical route will be to replace both flywheel and clutch. Sachs DMFs are only available from the dealer, as far as I know, and they're expensive.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
I ditched the dmf when I replaced the factory clutch with the southbend smf stage 2.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
When we swap trannies we'll look at my southbend clutch with about 70k freeway miles. It should have a lot of life left in it.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
At 70k miles and freeway miles at that, I would just re-install the clutch, pressure plate, and leave the flywheel alone other than just to hose it down with brake cleaner.