FS: 2006 Jetta TDI for sale, Washington DC area, 160,000 miles, $2,500

TDI
2006 jetta tdi
I'm the original owner of this great car, but it's had a grinding noise while moving that has gotten so bad that I won't drive it anymore. I think the manual transmission is gone. The xmission oil is clean, but that's where the sound is coming from. I put a new CV joint but that didn't change anything. I've priced a new manual xmission but that's more than I want to put into the car.

Paulers

TDI
2006 jetta
We are in the same boat - our 5-spd diff came apart. My son thought it was the CV Joint but it needs a transmission.

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
1. No, I'm not sure.
2. What's the DMF?
Dual Mass Flywheel, search the forums for details on failures.

If when running you hear a sound like marbles in a can, it probably is the DMF. Since you have a manual trans, you can replace the DMF and clutch with a single mass flywheel, search on that also, since SMF increases gear noise when in neutral.

DMF is two disks with springs, the springs wear, and the two disks move.
SMF is the old, typical solid flywheel, with the clutch disk having the springs.

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
Diff bearings are a very common failure on that year of manual transmission. You likely noticed transmission fluid leaking from output flanges at some point before the noise started.

TDI
2006 jetta tdi
Many thanks for all your sound advice. I'll check into the cost of a new DMF. I never noticed any transmission fluid leaking, however I park on gravel and could easily have missed that. Although the transmission fluid level never dropped as far as I could see.

Last edited:

dieselherb1

Veteran Member
TDI
06 MK5,09 Mk5 CR,03 Mk4,96,2-97 B4s,98 A3,2000 A4,4 Caddies( 2-1.6TD,1.6,TDI) Chevys 6.2,6.5,6.5TD
Dave, my friend in SC. is interested

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Any pics / info about the interior? What things [sunroof, window switches, etc are temporamental? When was the last time the timing belt was replaced?