The very Anglophile Society of Jaguar Diesel owners

Dangerous_Dan

TDI
1998 Jetta, 2017 Jaguar XE 20d
The TDI buyback was too good a deal for me. I got about 4K more for the car than I paid new. So with the GBP at $1.25 I splurged and bought a Jaguar XE 2.0d RWD. With the winter package I paid around $35K.

The Jag is my third English vehicle. You would think I would learn. This is by far and away the best automobile I have ever owned.

Average mileage so far is 41.2, with trips to Winnipeg returning 52 (spring, no AC) and 48 (summer, AC blasting cold air). Less than 10K miles on the car, so it may get better.

I banged my head about 4 years ago and have been very noise sensitive since that time. This car is noticeably quieter than the Jetta.

It came with maintenance bundled for 60K miles, so I will not be doing any work on it for about 6 more years. After that, I will need to get that rare Castrol Jag Spec oil.

Uses a timing chain, so I will probably not have to mess with that. The transmission is a ZF, so NAPA should have the filter and there will be lots of sources for the oil. I am also guessing that the highly rated Castrol SRF will work fine in the Jag brakes. I am guessing EBC can supply pads and rotors.

There is a ton of room under the hood. When I start doing the maintenance on it there shouldn't be any real trouble spots. I hope this is the last car I ever buy, but I said that about my 2013 Jetta as well. The aluminum body and chassis should not be rotted by the salt that gets slathered on the roads here in ND.

The ride is wonderful. Set the cruise control or you will be going 100. At 180 BHP it is noticeably faster and quicker than our 2013 Jetta. The handling is fantastic. Although we don't have any curves near us in Fargo, I did find some in the lakes region of MN.

Summary of the good: great fuel mileage, quiet, comfortable, fast, and they are one of the nicest looking Ian Callum designs.

Downsides: the trunk is small, and the back seat on mine doesn't fold down. I can get an 8' 2X6 in the car, but nothing longer.

The back seat is smaller than the Jetta, but if we are carrying extras my wife can sit comfortably in the back. The rear doors are tiny, so it is a bit of a contortionist act for her to get in. Same for me in the front.

The rotary shift knob is a bit wonky, but you get used to it. Also this is the first slush box I have owned since for ever. You get used to it.

Last time I checked, Tirerack didn't support any wheels or snow tires for the car. They should be similar to a Ford: 5 X 108/63.4 bore, 49mm offset. I will need to find out before October. Maybe I'll just drive to Winnipeg and get a set of winter tires.

So let this be the start of a place on TDI Club for folks who have left VWAG and fled to Tata Motors UK. It looks to me like JLR has several diesel options. Yes, they are a bit more expensive than the old VWAG offerings, but they are here. Small sport salons, larger salons, Crossovers, SUVs, and maybe soon a real utility to replace the Defender.

Last edited:

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Congrats on the pick up! Jag really nailed the styling on their newer models, these things are stunning. Have tried to get ECU reads off them a couple times now, alientech says the ECU is fully unlocked (so you can do a full ECU read to see maps etc rather than just ID with the VWs). Curious to see what the files look like on these, and hopefully they respond well to mods! Plenty of power as it is, but there's always those folks that want more :p

Last edited:

Dangerous_Dan

TDI
Owain:
from what I am reading, stock the Jag is about like a stage 2 tune on a 2015 VW. It was a large step up from the 2013 Jetta. And if I select Sport mode on the gear selector and the performance selector, it is noticeably quicker than in ECO mode and drive.

So no more power for me, but 52 MPG (with an 80 MPH cruising speed) when the AC is off on the highway is a little bit low. So maybe a tune that would improve my lousy highway mileage?

In all seriousness, I understand that there are tuners in the UK who do work on mileage for fleet managers. Seems they get taxed on actual MPG so getting it up to 55 MPG actual on the highway can be a big deal.

Dangerous_Dan

TDI
Owain:
from what I am reading, stock the Jag is about like a stage 2 tune on a 2015 VW. It was a large step up from the 2013 Jetta. And if I select Sport mode on the gear selector and the performance selector, it is noticeably quicker than in ECO mode and drive.

So no more power for me, but 52 MPG (with an 80 MPH cruising speed) when the AC is off on the highway is a little bit low. So maybe a tune that would improve my lousy highway mileage?

In all seriousness, I understand that there are tuners in the UK who do work on mileage for fleet managers. Seems they get taxed on actual MPG so getting it up to 55 MPG actual on the highway can be a big deal.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
50+MPG highway with a zf 8 speed, rwd, 180HP/320lb-ft in a luxury sedan is nothing to scoff at!

I agree, both this and 2L bmw diesels are on the bleeding edge at this point. There is no way gains will be comparable to a stage 2 commonrail VW. The highest trim Euro 2L BMW is making 220HP/330lb-ft with 2K bar rail pressure and 2 bar of boost. That's the equivalent of a CP3 + CR190 stock, while meeting emissions, with a warranty and millions in R&D.

I'd be happy to see 20HP/40lb-ft out of this thing, deletes might make 10HP and drop EMPs but that's an awful lot of work for next to nothing.

Do you mean the DC100 concept? Would love a reasonably sized 4x4 with a 2L 16V diesel but it'd have to be affordable and trail friendly. Right now the only feasible option is 1.9 swaps, I've been watching the cummins 2.8 project very closely though and if it's priced accordingly that should be a popular option. Know of a few floating around, 100 motors in beta phase right now :)

Last edited:

Dangerous_Dan

TDI
English Cars...

As far as a tune goes, what you are saying is not unexpected. I thought I read that JLR had a 2 liter diesel that made about 40 BHP more with some significant strengthening of the crank and piston crown cooling. That speaks to an engine with little headroom. Probably never a 40 HP chip tune.

Defender wise I was speaking about this:
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/land-rover/defender/19933/all-new-2018-land-rover-defender-everything-we-know-so-far

To be sure, we may never see it in NA even if it is made for the UK. If that was made on an aluminum platform with the 2.0 diesel in the XE, that would be a very nice vehicle.

I used to have a Series II 109 with a Mitsubishi Fuso 75HP industrial engine shoehorned into it. It was a marvelous off road vehicle. Underpowered, and single circuit brakes. Never had an electrical issue with it because it only had 5 circuits: start, head lights, tail lights, turn signals, wipers.

I have considered a 25+ Y/O D90 with a diesel, or maybe putting the AHU I have into it. With a mild tune and the Bosio 520 nozzles already in it, it might make 120 BHP.

-Dan

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
Wife has a new XE 2.0d. Loves it. The car with "premium" guise has 18 inch P7's, all have sport option for engine and transmission controls. The car handles really really well. Same options in a 328d would make it $5K more.

Surprising that more ex-TDI owners don't opt for this car, but I guess it will take a couple of years to get a used one.

TM

Dangerous_Dan

TDI
My wife was sad to see the Jetta go. And when it first arrived, the Jag was "your" car. It took about a month to become "our" car. Now? Hmmmm... it is still "our" car, but since I ride a bike when I go somewhere local it is really her car.

I notice your mileage. On the highway, we have gotten low 50s with the AC off, high 40's with it on. Average is 41.

I think most folks think they cost a lot more than they actually do. Mine was in the same range as a Passat. That was an easy choice. I know that I paid much less than any BMW I saw, and I get an alloy body and chassis, and 6 years of maintenance in the deal.

My one long term maintenance concern is the oil. I expect I can buy it online direct from the UK. Or, we plan on another bicycle trip in Scotland. Maybe I should bring some back?

-DD

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
My wife was sad to see the Jetta go. And when it first arrived, the Jag was "your" car. It took about a month to become "our" car. Now? Hmmmm... it is still "our" car, but since I ride a bike when I go somewhere local it is really her car.

-DD
Dan, when the Jag breaks or needs service it's YOUR car.:D

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
+1 on the title of this thread! Nicely done.

We've been drooling over these since they were announced. Haven't had a chance to test-drive as the local Jaguar dealer closed a few years back. I'd really like to drive an F-Pace diesel!!

You are right about pricing, I never thought I'd think a Jag was a "good deal", but, new ownership obviously has different ideas over the brand image and what they consider success. All I can say is that they are great looking cars at a discount vs a BMW or the like. Nothing wrong with that!

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
anybody here driven an F-Pace?
Land Rover is advertising their SUV with a sport diesel option in Newport Beach. With enough garage space and cabbage overage I'd have twenty or so 2017's. Mercedes, are you seeing what's going on here?

Last edited:

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
There are some hefty discounts on these new Jaguars. Makes me wonder what the CPO prices will be in three years when leases are expiring.

I have become a believer in buying somewhat more upscale cars, but buying them CPO as leases expire. Let someone else take that initial depreciation.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
Cheers. Anyone have one of the new Jaguar/Landrover diesels? Can you cheer us new-diesel-less-except-for-Cruze-er with tales of your new diesel cars?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I saw a Range Rover Velar on the highway yesterday. Looks nice, but I wonder how well the 180 HP diesel will handle a 4,500 lb. lump. I've driven an XE with the same engine and it was fine, but it's 1,000 lbs. lighter.

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
Those who think of diesels as ideal for towing will be disappointed, however, to learn that the Equinox diesel is rated to tug just 1500 pounds. (The 2.0-liter gas engine, meanwhile, earns a 3500-pound rating.) Blame the diesel powertrain’s cooling requirements, we’re told.
What do they mean by this statement? The diesel should require less cooling than a similarly powered gas engine..

Dangerous_Dan

TDI
Tow car? Get a Jaguar XE

I believe that my XE is rated at 4,000 lbs tow capacity. Not sure that I plan on trying that...

I did just finish an extended road trip, and on the leg from the SF Bay area to Portland OR I got 51 MPG. Going through Bend too, so there were several mountain passes to go over. Right at a 700 mile tank!