Best Tuner for 2005 Passat TDI

Burgess159

TDI
N/A
I'm new and I don't have a TDI, but I am considering buying one. Looked through here and I couldn't find a similar thread asking the same question.

Who offers the best, most reliable, user-friendly plug-in tuner and has good customer support for a 2005 Passat TDI. I have had tuning from DuramaxTuner on my 2004 Silverado 2500HD LLY in the past and liked them and their tunes a lot. I currently have a 2017 GMC Canyon with the 2.8 Duramax and have been looking at getting tuning from them for that as well but have not yet.

I looked at DuramaxTuner's website and while they offer tuning for 2001 to 2006 Jetta TDI's and 2009 to present Passat TDI's, they don't do older Passats. So, I am looking for recommendations on who to get one from if we go with this Passat.

Thanks!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I have had a Rocketchip RC1 tune in my 2004 Passat since 80k miles. It has 190k now. Runs excellent.

There are other folks, too. Not too many "bad" ones really I would say.

It is not a "plug in tuner", though. You send the ECU out and he sends it back in a day or so.

Burgess159

TDI
N/A
Gotcha. That was how DT used to do it, which is what I did my 2004 Duramax. And they programmed it with 5 tunes and gave you a switch to switch through tunes on the go. Is what you are referring to just a single tune, or does it have like a DSP4 or DSP5 switch to choose between different tunes?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Just one change. He used to do some stacked flashes that could be changed with a laptop program, but that has fallen out of favor.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Both Kerma and Malone use powergate units from alientech and can send files via email. I imagine Rocketchip and tdtuning can rent out cables to flash the ECU.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
The first thing you should figure out is what are your plans for the car...daily driver, big power build, and are you going to build the car up over time.

Rocketchip would be great if you were going to use it as a daily driver, since you mail him the ECU once and you're done.

Now if you plan on upgrading the car over an extended period of time, then Kerma, Malone, or TDTUNING would be the way to go imo. That way you could buy or rent a tune loader to update your car without having to send your ECU in every time you installed a new part on your car.

Last edited:

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
My first tune was a terrible Upsolute that killed a turbo, but my fix-it-tune was from TDTuning some 8 plus years ago. Mike (TDTuning) has since worked with me after I upgraded my hardware more than once, and wrote his software to get me exactly what I wanted my hardware to do. For example his last update was emailed to me two days ago, and I could not be happier with the way my engine responds. I like Mike. Disclosure: I do own my own programmer, so I don't have to worry about renting an alientec or equivalent unit when/if needed.

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I have a Malone tune on my 05 passat, converted to manual (also addressed in the tune), quite happy.

I went the self-flash route and received the tune via email.

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey
In my 05 Passat, I originally had Rocketchip with stock hardware. Once I did the 6 speed swap, big turbo, cam, & nozzles, I went with TD Tuning and got a loader so Mike could email me tunes as needed to dial everything in. Very convenient and easy to work with.

Both are great tuners, just depends on your needs / wants.

I've also used Malone with good success, just not with my B5.5.

cactusbud

TDI
B5.5 Passat Wagon
Sprocket/ Et al, Do you have a contact number for Mike at TD tuning that you could PM me? His website doesn't have any info on it.. Thanks

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
TDtuning, Rocketchip and Malone all have quality product.

I have driven all three and owned two. All are good.

I stick with Malone to support Canada, Eh? :D

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
TDtuning, Rocketchip and Malone all have quality product.I have driven all three and owned two. All are good.
I stick with Malone to support Canada, Eh? :D
Same here, Malone stage 2

Otherwise this question is really moot. Almost everyone swears by the tune THEY bought. Unless you have oodles of money and can afford to install every tune available as well as do some very exact comparisons, YOU will never know the difference.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
I've only ever had a RC tune on my B5.5 Passat, so no experience with any of the other tuners. I went with Jeff because of his engineering background and he's a short drive from where I live and I could just pop up to PA for tweaks.