Torque converter cel

oregun

TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS (sold)
Several years back a local company convinced me to rebuild the transmission. About 50 k miles later the check engine light is back on complaining about the torque converter. I've got sooo much money tied into the car.. seriously considering cutting my losses and getting rid of it at this point.

From what I understand I have 3 options. (1) replace the TC. (2) replace the whole transmission or (3) do a manual swap.

My question is is(1) even worth it? I'm concerned other parts of the transmission might fail again.

Any thoughts/ recommendations appreciated. It's a great car and would be nice to keep it around.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
For #1, it's the same question everyone asks.

Some have had a long run just replacing the TC, others have had a failure in reverse or the pump bushing shortly after.

It really is a roll of the dice, moreso given that yours has been apart before.

If it were mine, I would get underneath and check the fluid quality / colour t aid in the decision. By draining a little of the fluid onto some clean white paper, I would know if the fluid smells/looks burnt. If so, I would swap to a manual or ditch the car.

The manual swaps can be done very frugally if you are willing to live with a V6 ratio transmission and can spend some time acquiring the parts.