AHU/ALH Eurovan T4, about transmission (5th gear swap, 02A swap)

X@V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B7 A4 V6 2.5TDI, MK2 frankentdi 2.0 16V TDI PD
AHU/ALH Eurovan T4, about transmission (2.4D trans on 4cyl TDI?)

I'm looking for a T4 TDI conversion for a friend.

Now he has a '94 T4 2.4D 5-cyl. We would like to put a TDI inside but the transmission ratios are horrible!

I was looking at the 02A trans... but I thing I couldn't put the engine inside because of the 15 degrees of the original 2.4D (not sure if the engine's head would clear the firewall)

If I can't, is it possible to swap the 5th gear like on the 02A? Is it the same as a 02A? I actually have a '93 Passat TD 02A transmission with the 0.756 5th gear, but we could put a longer 5th gear (diff ratio is 4.7 I think), maybe a .658 gear would be nice...?

Thanks

Last edited:

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I've look at a manual transmission 1993 2.5L eurovan and that transmission has some differences from the standard 02a. I bet there are a bunch of different brackets and other issues.

X@V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, it's what I'm saying, the engine is inclined on the 2.4D... If I'm using a 02A, the engien won't be inclined like on the 2.4D and I'm not sure it will clear the firewall....

JoaoT4

Veteran Member
TDI
Eurovan Conversion
My Eurovan had a 1.9TD engine. I instaled an a 1.9TDI and used the original gearbox of the van. I installed the 0.658 gear ratio. I think that you can use the 2.5TDI 88HP gearbox if you find one. The clearance between the turbo and the firewall is about 1cm (0.039 in)
Which is the TDI that you want to install?

João

Last edited:

X@V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's a TDI from a Golf/Jetta, probably a AHU engine. Will I need a custom oil pan + oil pump...?

JoaoT4

Veteran Member
TDI
Eurovan Conversion
In case you use a AHU, you need the oil pan, the oil pick up tube, the oil dipstick and tube, the right engine mount from an ABL engine. This engine is the 1.9TD that is mounted on the Eurovan. You have to open the engine mount holes from 8mm to 10mm. This engine was only available on Europe.
Once I found a site with a kit with all this part on US.

João

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
I've look at a manual transmission 1993 2.5L eurovan and that transmission has some differences from the standard 02a. I bet there are a bunch of different brackets and other issues.

X2 ^^

The engine in the EV is tilted at a totally different angle then in the Mk III or B4 vehicles so there will be issues such as axle length and angle, mounts, etc. Finding the proper trans or retrofitting another gear likely makes more sense.

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
if your going to use the 1.9, you will have to source a European 1.9 transmission, an 02A/02J won't work for any number of reasons. Or you can make an adapter plate for the 5 cylinder engine, but that would mean a lot of custom mounts and stuff. Another option is to use a 5 cylinder tdi engine as found in Europe.

JoaoT4

Veteran Member
TDI
Eurovan Conversion
I think that the gearbox bellhouses are the same for the 5 and 4 cylinders engines, but I'm not 100% sure. That’s why I said that you can use a 2.5TDI gearbox with the 1.9TDI engine.

João

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
Check out Justin's work at greaseworks, they do T4's professionally, he'll be able to answer any questions you have about transmissions:

http://www.greaseworks.org/tdivanagon

cheers!

-zack
The vanagon is not a eurovan..

I think that the gearbox bellhouses are the same for the 5 and 4 cylinders engines, but I'm not 100% sure. That’s why I said that you can use a 2.5TDI gearbox with the 1.9TDI engine.

João
I'm certain the bolt patterns are not the same, and a quick look in the ETKA reveals that the 5 cylinder uses a different gearbox than the 4.

The 4 cylinder uses an 02B which and the 5 is an 02G.

Last edited:

X@V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
We'll probably buy a ALH engine finally.

For the transmission, does the engine bolts on the 2.4D tranny?

Who is selling an oil pan + oil pump for this set-up?

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
We'll probably buy a ALH engine finally.

For the transmission, does the engine bolts on the 2.4D tranny?

Who is selling an oil pan + oil pump for this set-up?
Your talking about parts that are only available in Europe, of which I can import new ones for you.

X@V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The T4 is 2.4D now... I'm not sure, some told me it works on a 4cyl, some others told me it won't work...

energy

TDI
mtdi caddy, tdi Multivan Syncro
The vanagon is not a eurovan..
I'm certain the bolt patterns are not the same, and a quick look in the ETKA reveals that the 5 cylinder uses a different gearbox than the 4.
The 4 cylinder uses an 02B which and the 5 is an 02G.
i know vanagons are not Eurovans. Follow the link and see for yourself:
http://www.greaseworks.org/tdivanagon
Eurovan (T4) TDI conversions now available! If you thought TDI Vanagons were off the hook, wait till you drive one of these! New Eurovan TDI webpage coming soon, but in the meantime check out our new Eurovan TDI Yahoo group, our new shop blog or send us an email for more info on this exciting conversion.

Justin even sells the conversion kit:
http://www.greaseworks.com/store/pr...ucts_id=527&osCsid=v781cheebohg6ghtnkkgabcli2

He's using an 02B trans

His only issue is getting the proper gears, and according to his blog, he just changed out 5th gear to a .658 and has even better results:
http://greaseworks.blogspot.com/2010/08/363-mpg-thank-you-658-5th.html

you can do it man!!!

Last edited:

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
Last edited:

X@V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
eeee... I was using 06A blocks on 02A tranny before, it's working, no trouble...

ALH on CTN, and I used my 02A CTN on my PD150 last year! Only one bolt screwed into the oil pan doesn't match, but the others are working.

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
eeee... I was using 06A blocks on 02A tranny before, it's working, no trouble...

ALH on CTN, and I used my 02A CTN on my PD150 last year! Only one bolt screwed into the oil pan doesn't match, but the others are working.
It's not the bellhousing that's different it's some of the engine mounting holes, and the oil pan. You may have to make/modify parts, there are no Euro parts for what you are doing.

X@V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What? The engine mounting holes (rear) are the same. The only difference is the engine bracket holes that are ever M10x1.5 instead of 2x M8x1.25 and 1x M6x1.0.

On the bellhousing, it's OK.

I was looking at the trans mounting holes on the eurovan 2.4D, it has both mounting holes pattern, like we can see on the greasecar blog.

Named Tintin made a ALH Westfalia conversion with a custom oil pan, it's not a problem.

Agent V

TDI
Eurovan
The 02B tranny is a bolt on to the ALH. However, some work has to be done to the rear of the oil pan, to make room for the "tail" of the tranny that goes to the RHS.

Starter will fit perfectly, no mod at all. Right support of the engine will have to be custom made. Another thing to think about is the oil pump that will have to be modify. A good idea is to use the steel/aluminium oil pan, you can remove the bottom section and make sure that the oil pump will have enough oil.

X@V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm performing the swap very soon. We'll use a 2002 TDI ALH engine.

I know I'll have some work to do on the oil pump and oil pan, but what about the accessory bracket? (alternator and P/S pump)

EV99

TDI
VW
I'm performing the swap very soon. We'll use a 2002 TDI ALH engine.

I know I'll have some work to do on the oil pump and oil pan, but what about the accessory bracket? (alternator and P/S pump)
On this topic someone who had tried to do this told me this about ALH into the shortnosed Eurovans:

"The 98 and earlier tdi will fit but the alh tdi is wider with the pulley spacing and the power steering pump is at the top instead of the bottom. The 97 and later Eurovans have a longer nose thus more room in the engine compartment."

Lavabo

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagon 2003, Westfalia 73 Tdi
HOW TO - 5th gear upgrade!

http://vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=22159

"Recently installed a 1.9TDI motor from a golf into my T4 and also changed the 5th gear from the golf into my T4 gearbox to give a higher top speed and lower RPM at cruising speed. Original ratio was .78:1 and the golf TDI was .71:1"

other:
http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=732232#post732232

The stock 5th gear ratio was the lowest available 0.838 standard Transporter ratio, presumably fitted by Westfalia/VW to counter the drag from the high roof and weight of the camping gear.
This gave approx 60 mph @ 3150 rpm this sort of gearing meant comfortable pull away in 5th was available down to 20 mph great for driving round town in 5th but noisey and poor on mpg for motorway driving at 70mph.
had the above replaced with the 0.744 standard Caravelle ratio.
My findings with this ratio are minimum comfortable pull away in 5th has raised to 25 mph and the following speed/rpm available:

50mph (80km/h) = 2200rpm

56mph (90km/h) = 2450rpm

62mph (100km/h) = 2750rpm

68mph (110km/h) = 3000rpm

75mph (120km/h) = 3250rpm
Round town means a little more planning ahead now if I'm to stay in 5th with the occaisional down changes to 4th required in traffic and for hills. Changing up to 5th does now bring a substantial rpm drop so need to rev to 2500 before changing up. With the old ratio I used to often completely skip 4th and go straight from 3rd to 5th.
A higher ratio would have been impractical as the rpm drop from 4th would have been too great, the next ratio down 0.756 would have made the 4th to 5th change a little more seamless but would mean slightly higher rpm when cruising.
Motorway and A road cruising are now way more relaxed, so far on trips between Leeds and Sheffield on the M1 no down changes to 4th have been needed on hills even when heading into strong winds last week.

All in all I'm very pleased with the upgrade, I'll update this thread later after a few tank fulls to let you know the difference made to the mpg.

Last edited: