TDIFest 2012, Where will it be?

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
I vote that Manny arranges all the details for fest 2012.
All in favor?
I am ALWAYS ready to help this forum in any way I can.

I can't help bit read sarcasm into your "vote"... did I say something wrong? The topic of this thread very strongly implies that we're looking for suggestions, right?

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Going to the track is cool or having a dyno.If you are traving 500 miles to the Fest,then going on the track and having a major break down.That would suck.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Before anyone gets too excited about renting a track for a day or half day. Somebody should check out prices to rent a track and to buy insurance.
Bing! winner!

SERIOUS $$. The local motorcycle club gets Elkhart Lake once a year in conjunction with 4-5 other clubs mid-week.

You have some smaller tracks that would be reasonable and better set up for a TDI IMO. Blackhawk NW or rockford is a prime example.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
I am ALWAYS ready to help this forum in any way I can.

I can't help bit read sarcasm into your "vote"... did I say something wrong? The topic of this thread very strongly implies that we're looking for suggestions, right?
For some reason, brain storming about Fest is frowned upon. If you look back in previous Fest sections, similar threads usually pops up a day or two after the event. Whether people know or don't know how Fest happens, they soon get scorned for suggesting a location.

I've never understood that philosophy. If people in the Flint, MI or any other region see that you're interested in putting together a Fest, it may prompt others to contact you and say they're interested/willing to help.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
They get scorned because 99.99% of them are talking......Talking does not get a Fest! getting a group together and planning a Fest is what gets a Fest.
The TDI FEST has been in danger of not happening the last 2 years until a previous Fest planner stepped forward and took up the task.....
And there is a real chance in the near future that the fest will simply go away because of the "Talk" and no one stepping to the plate!
Not trying to negative just stating a true fact!

manual_tranny

TDI
Well, I'm not just talking... I'm willing and able to actually prepare such an event.

I'm also willing to offer my house/garage for a GTG place. I've got roughly 25 paved parking spaces... and many more if it's not raining because we could park in the grass, and perhaps on the street (with the permission of the local authorities?) I'll give my local cop shop a call today and see how they feel about large parties.

I would make more suggestions, but as MajorDJQ pointed out... brianstorming is sometimes frowned upon. I'm just throwing this out there: I would be delighted to plan and/or host a big GTG.

I'd like to repeat my first call to do a little racing, too. My initial suggestion was a town with a track OR a big parking lot. I know that there are autocross clubs around Flint, and I'm sure we could make it happen on the cheap.

Anyone who breaks down at a local autocross will be towed back to my garage by me for free... where we can done fixer your snapped axle, broken head, blown tire, or whatever... with the help of the GTG fest mechanic's crew. I know I'm not the only guy around here who will work on a car for free at a GTG. If you would please refrain from melting your pistons at the autocross all will go well.

Last edited:

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
They get scorned because 99.99% of them are talking......Talking does not get a Fest! getting a group together and planning a Fest is what gets a Fest.
The TDI FEST has been in danger of not happening the last 2 years until a previous Fest planner stepped forward and took up the task.....
And there is a real chance in the near future that the fest will simply go away because of the "Talk" and no one stepping to the plate!
Not trying to negative just stating a true fact!
You're not? With the exception of maybe one post, all you've posted is negative comments. And that one was a "wish" for Chattanooga. Why can't people toss ideas in the ring? There have been several productive mini-discussions in this thread, like the no FL in Sept.

I agree that not everyone knows what it takes to plan a large event like Fest. I have been on the planning committes for a couple of concert band festivals. Without a doubt it takes a lot of work. Lug, Hamster, and Zippy were all spot-on with their comments on page 1.

I stand by my statement that these types of threads do serve a purpose: I don't know every TDI driver in my region. There are many TDIs in my area but very few of them are aware of or interested in TDIClub as very few are registered. When I ask TDIers at the pump if they're a member here I often get a blank stare. I'm sure as hell not going to then say, "Would you be interested in helping me plan a festival dedicated to TDIs that will host up to 200 fellow TDI drivers?". There are 4 people in Western Mass that I see post here with some frequency. Are they interested in forming an exploratory committee? Beats me.Unless they posted in this or a similar tread, I'd have no idea.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
You're not? With the exception of maybe one post, all you've posted is negative comments. And that one was a "wish" for Chattanooga. Why can't people toss ideas in the ring? There have been several productive mini-discussions in this thread, like the no FL in Sept.

I agree that not everyone knows what it takes to plan a large event like Fest. I have been on the planning committes for a couple of concert band festivals. Without a doubt it takes a lot of work. Lug, Hamster, and Zippy were all spot-on with their comments on page 1.

I stand by my statement that these types of threads do serve a purpose: I don't know every TDI driver in my region. There are many TDIs in my area but very few of them are aware of or interested in TDIClub as very few are registered. When I ask TDIers at the pump if they're a member here I often get a blank stare. I'm sure as hell not going to then say, "Would you be interested in helping me plan a festival dedicated to TDIs that will host up to 200 fellow TDI drivers?". There are 4 people in Western Mass that I see post here with some frequency. Are they interested in forming an exploratory committee? Beats me.Unless they posted in this or a similar tread, I'd have no idea.
Think what ever you want..... I have been to every fest but 2! how many have you been to? I am close friends with all the people you mention and have been on the planning committee for the Dc fest and have been a volunteer on several others! I have been a member here since before this site was in this format! and have been through several generations on TDIers in my experience 1 in 8 are members here and that is the person you are getting to a Fest.
also I am a recipient of the Bug Pwr award! do you know what that is??
by the way FYI I went back and deleted all my "negative" comments.....;)

Last edited:

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Thank you for allowing me to have an opinion. I'm not looking for approval from anyone, but at least one person thinks I'm not totally crazy for having the opinion.

Seriously, Tomo, I'm not trying to have a pissing contest with you. All I'm getting is that the "talk" shouldn't be discouraged. The bulk of the "maybe here" comments seem to come from newer members. It's not very welcoming to be told "Put up or shut up!" when making a comment.

Last edited:

manual_tranny

TDI
If I'm really reading these posts correctly, I don't think I want all of the past committee members and award winners to get any angrier with me for suggesting ideas and offering hospitality.

Have fun with your party pooper planning platoon, people!

manual_tranny

TDI
Sorry for my grumpiness. I'll call up Anthony and see if they're going to offer something like this next year. It would be easy to plan a Fest near/around an event like this... where TDIClub members are already invited to a discounted track day.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
I haven't been to this thread for a week, and wasn't intending to revisit. I didn't need to: Everything that was said has been said before (and will undoubtedly be said again).
I came back here because I had this in my PM mail-box: "Jon, This dumb thread is still going and these folks still don't get it...."

It's NOT a location... It's NOT a venue... It's NOT an event... It's PEOPLE, that decide where a fest will be.

It doesn't have to be a group based locally to the desired fest location: The Montreal fest had a number of planners based in and around Montreal, but the proposal was initiated and directed by a group from the Providence R.I. region.

It doesn't absolutely HAVE to be a group either, but the size to which this has grown is such that it may be absolutely overwhelming for one person to do now. The initial TDIFest in N.C. was pretty much a one man operation.

Go back and re-read the first post in this thread (and the same copy-paste post from prior years, if you wish).

The Ripster

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time
Michigan TDIFest 4 good voluteers, Race track, Shine, tour to the race track, sessions on Saturday morning, ralley at VW dealer, Bio on site with truck, Banquet, Auction, and awards. Great time, plenty of time to do your own thing, catered breakfast, and money left over for Fred's site. Everyone showing up made it all worth it. Just do it!

TDI Stevestr

Veteran Member
TDI
Former 2011 Golf 4 Dr TDI DSG; Looking at the '17 Chevy Colorado
You're not the only one who feels this way. Sometimes trying to participate on here feels like rushing for a Fraternity. And not in a good way.

That's all I'll say on here.

And no, I haven't gone to a "fest" before because I just purchased my TDI in May. And I really don't care what awards a person has or hasn't won.

The TDI community is still pretty small. You would think any kind of idea exploring among the new blood would be good.

Putting on my asbestos suit now (and yes, I'm willing to risk asbestos for all the flaming that will follow.)

TDI Stevestr

Veteran Member
TDI
Former 2011 Golf 4 Dr TDI DSG; Looking at the '17 Chevy Colorado
Thank you for allowing me to have an opinion. I'm not looking for approval from anyone, but at least one person thinks I'm not totally crazy for having the opinion.

Seriously, Tomo, I'm not trying to have a pissing contest with you. All I'm getting is that the "talk" shouldn't be discouraged. The bulk of the "maybe here" comments seem to come from newer members. It's not very welcoming to be told "Put up or shut up!" when making a comment.
That is the common mantra around here. And yet these same people will whine when no one steps up to plan an event next year. Ironic.

Who the hell who is not an "old timer" would want to step up for fear of saying something wrong or suggesting a new idea for how to do something and being shot down before anything even has a chance to come to fruition?

It seems like folks want it both ways sometimes. They want to keep the old buddy buddy circles and yet they'll whine when there is no new event in 2012 because "someone" didn't come forward with a proposal.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
No one is trying to discourage anyone from planning a TDI Fest!however it is a Massive effort and a huge commitment is required....For the last 5 years someone stepped up at the last minute and agreed to plan one.....and in almost everyone it almost didn't happen until these folks stepped up!...... If you want to do it "go for it!" there are plenty of experienced folks here that will give you advice! We are not trying to shoot you down! Historically a thread like this jumps up evey year! and it is always the same TALK and no action.
I personally do not care what any of you do! I will be there and I will assist as needed.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
How things change and not... Ihust got a PM from TDIpoet. He did dump his gasser and got a 2011 Jetta TDI. Most of you will not remember the Boston Fest he and the Fest team really did put in a HUGE amount of effort to get that one off the ground.

Like Lug_Nut, Fred I have beed to every fest. These are not easy to do.

Remember why there is a Fest. NOTE to all there are NO pop up ads here. WHY the forum contributes DO you.... A lot of us "veterans" have over the years have you? the internet is really not free.

manual_tranny

TDI
No one is trying to discourage anyone from planning a TDI Fest!however it is a Massive effort and a huge commitment is required....For the last 5 years someone stepped up at the last minute and agreed to plan one.....and in almost everyone it almost didn't happen until these folks stepped up!...... If you want to do it "go for it!" there are plenty of experienced folks here that will give you advice! We are not trying to shoot you down! Historically a thread like this jumps up evey year! and it is always the same TALK and no action.
I personally do not care what any of you do! I will be there and I will assist as needed.
Open your eyes. I was willing to offer lots of help until you and the other good 'ol boys shut me down. You guys are your own worst enemies.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
knock it off guys....acting like the whoretex.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
PM sent to manual_tranny and a couple others. :cool:

tdipoet

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'11 Jetta TDI
ok, i'm gonna weigh in here. try to have an open mind about all this.

tomo and lugnut know what they're talking about. every single year there is a thread, and every year the bulk of the posts are essentially a lot of "we should do it here!" or "it needs to be where everyone can attend!" those posts aren't brainstorming, and they're nothing more than chaff. they have never made a fest happen. brainstorming is good, but a lot of these ideas are old ones. there's a reason why the fest is generally structured the way it is.

believe me, we discussed things like track days and the like extensively, and the simple fact is they're incredibly expensive. at best we're talking full participation to break even, and a lot of people don't care about driving fast, or are flying, or for whatever reason won't be involved. what happens if someone crashes? what happens if someone is hurt? you can't just find asphalt and drive fast. that's why in 2004 we had a track even at a kart track. it still wasn't cheap, but it was a lot more affordable, a ton of fun, and anyone could participate without any risk to their car or having to mod the hell out of it. for tdi driving, there were various low speed events like the obstacle course (backwards, if i recall?) and the low speed rally.

i think what the veterans are trying to say here is that putting on the fest is a lot of work, a lot of time, and a bit intimidating when you have to start putting down deposits. most people don't buy a ticket very far in advance, so you have no idea how many people will show up until basically the day of. not knowing if you're going to make money, break even, or lose money is kind of tough on the nerves. that's why it takes a group of people in their area to say "ok, we're gonna do this." suggestions for areas are well intentioned, but ultimately the fest isn't a centrally managed thing. it's a different entity each year so suggestions don't matter. that's not stifling people's creativity or discussion, that's just how it is. it's just talk that can have literally no affect on the final product.

honestly, this thread is ultimately less useful than a thread discussing activities and the like would be. anyone who wants to do the fest is talking about it locally and is unlikely to make noise until they have a solid group and plan. i don't think "the veterans" are attacking or trying to muscle out the new folks, they're just trying to avoid the nonsense that comes up each year and get right to the useful discussion. throwing darts at a map, recommending parts of the country because they're central or not part of the east coast, etc have been suggested several dozen times, i promise you.

manual_tranny

TDI
tdipoet- Don't members generally go to GTGs/Fest, get tuned, and try out the power on public roads? (Often illegally?) It seems to me that THIS is more of a risk/liability than sanctioned autox with liability waivers.. Just my 2c.

If Fred and others who are often responsible for such things are opposed to racing, that is NO PROBLEM. (Completely reasonable!)

I've got a lot of racing-ish ideas that don't involve racing tdis.

Last edited:

tdipoet

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'11 Jetta TDI
tdipoet- Don't members generally go to GTGs/Fest, get tuned, and try out the power on public roads? (Often illegally?) It seems to me that THIS is more of a risk/liability than sanctioned autox with liability waivers.. Just my 2c.

If Fred and others who are often responsible for such things are opposed to racing, that is NO PROBLEM. (Completely reasonable!)

I've got a lot of racing-ish ideas that don't involve racing tdis.
you think a liability waiver will protect us if someone gets hurt in a racing event on anything other than a rented track? do you think we could rent a track without having emergency support?