Single mass flywheel for DSG

cujet

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Here is my thought for the day. If I were to remove my rattling DMF and install a much heavier single piece flywheel that I machined (yes I have a machine shop) How would it perform. Other that the obvious slower RPM pickup in the lower gears, the single mass flywheel might be just the ticket.

What do you guys think?

Chris

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
How do you cut the teeth for the starter? Anyway, from my experience, a flexplate doesn't seem like much of an engineering feat so I say go for it.

maloosheck

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6 1K2 BRM, 2K8 7L6 BWF, 85 16 MF
I think you might have problems with tranny in the future. One of the reason DMF is installed is to reduce knocking effect of TDI engine on the transmission gears. I am not sure if there is any thicker gearbox fluid for DSG.

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
Cujet, mal has a point, the DMF is there for a reason, minimize driveline vibrations and prevent driveline shock..It would not work for most people who shock the heck out of there driveline, because they dont know how to drive for longevity..

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
What about a clutch hub from a standard clutch assy, welded to a standard flywheel?

Thinking out loud....

Tony

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
what about welding the DMF shut and make sure it's centered well and rebalanced?

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
... for now.

There has to be a vibration-damping function somewhere between the crankshaft and the transmission input shaft. Traditionally, this was done inside the clutch disk (the output side of the clutch). The DMF concept moved that function to the flywheel but took it out of the clutch disk.

With the manual transmissions, the SMF was in conjunction with installing a traditional-style clutch that has vibration damping in the clutch disk.

If you just "seize" the DMF, the transmission input shaft will "feel" every power stroke, and I'm pretty sure that will shorten the life of the transmission. Whether that shortening will be relevant ... is probably something that no one has the answer to.

bl00tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Good points GoFaster. With manual tranny's it's either DMF with solid hub disk or SMF with sprung hub, never SMF with a solid hub disk.

Stutgart

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Machining your own flywheel would be an experiment. Would you make it lighter or heavier or the same weight. I would tend to think heavy would be better.... but wait. If you were to decide to make your own, one question would be superiority of design and materials. Would the one you fabricate be superior to the one from the engineers at Wolfsburg? Another question would be cost.

My opinion of the VW DMF is pretty low, the center bearing design is completely inadequate. But the concept of a DMF is very superior to a solid flywheel for a high performance diesel car to be driven on the road. The driveline harmonic distortions are not always completely understood, and damping them are very desirable

morpwr

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta DSG Highline Red w/tan
V6 dmf

Is there a V6 DMF that could be adapted? Due to the higher output, the DMF should be heavier duty, and last longer on the 4 banger. Or plan B is to adapt some of the V6 torsion dampening into a 4 cylinder flywheel. Might take some machining, but less work than building a flywheel from scratch.:)

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
Haha, gotta love the thread bump.

The SMF has been tried in the DSG by one of the diesel shops, it was replaced pretty quickly by a DMF.

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
Crazyrunner33...you been here a while as well..Oh yeah I wouldnt put a SMF in a DSG, especially not one that is up to the job(borderline). I would think it would push all that torque and driveline backlash right on each other, vice versa...

backfast61

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI automatic,2006 VW Jetta TDI 5 speed
So.. instead of replacing the clunky bad dual mass flywheel with the new one I bought. I could have just taken it out -the bad one-and welded it shut and put it back in.. ? I don't think so.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
So.. instead of replacing the clunky bad dual mass flywheel with the new one I bought. I could have just taken it out -the bad one-and welded it shut and put it back in.. ? I don't think so.
Agree , No way to do this .
I had car that was in flood and DMF got frozen from rust , Car was shifting very hard , like transmission is bad , and when you put in D and let brake Off car will jump and speed very high .
If they can go with SMF what makes peole think they would not do that .

dtrvler

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5 spd
Sticking a new dmf is not an expensive or time consuming job....if you do it yourself! And you only gotta do it every 100k miles or so....and they really do smooth everything out until they fail again. When mine rattle perceptably i just shop for a good price and stick one in. I have tricks that shorten the install. On a lift i can do one in an hour or two.

Tdiguy89

TDI
01 beetle alh 5mt, 02 jetta alh 5mt 12 jetta sportwagen cjaa dsg, 13 A3 cbea dsg
Sticking a new dmf is not an expensive or time consuming job....if you do it yourself! And you only gotta do it every 100k miles or so....and they really do smooth everything out until they fail again. When mine rattle perceptably i just shop for a good price and stick one in. I have tricks that shorten the install. On a lift i can do one in an hour or two.
Sorry to revive this old thread, but I am looking at replacing the DMF in my 2013 (8p) a3 tdi with dsg. I am very interested in hearing your tricks as I've only pulled the transmission on a 95 altima so far. Im looking to replace my 02j in my 02 alh soon so I'm not terribly afraid of the job, just in the researching stage.
Thanks!

Rx7145

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
Yeah, it’s a little more involved than a Altima. If you pull out the radiator fans and the flanges for the axles, that seems to be a big help. I don’t remove the lower control arm or the subframe..

Tdiguy89

TDI
01 beetle alh 5mt, 02 jetta alh 5mt 12 jetta sportwagen cjaa dsg, 13 A3 cbea dsg
Yeah, it’s a little more involved than a Altima. If you pull out the radiator fans and the flanges for the axles, that seems to be a big help. I don’t remove the lower control arm or the subframe..
Yeah, just called the shop I frequent for jobs if I don't do them myself, $2500 for the job... guess I'm gonna get really familiar with this transmission! I'll eventually have 2 to do anyway...

privateTDIjet

TDI
2009 Jetta 2.0 TDI and 2014 Passat 2.0 TDI
I think whatever was written here is true. When I had my bad flywheel, the car would shudder really bad under 1400 rpms and when braking, i could hear a zipping / cricking noise from my transmission as if it was begging me to stop. I paid 500 for the labor and now it really is good as new. My old flywheel wouldnt have a slight side to side play between the two "plates", it would only rock back and forth the second "plate", making that clanging noise at idle.