Scangauge 2 vs Scangauge E vs Maxitrip

redlinedave

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jetta wagon
I dont know if PA still sell them, I couldnt find on the web page.

The E appears to be like the Scangauge 2 but just shows less info.

what would you buy and why?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I have the SG II, Other then the LCD bleeding in cold temperatures, it has been fine. I have not used the E or the maxitrip.

I set mine for Intake air temp, coolant temp, Engine voltage, and ECM RPM. I used to have and Xgauge for l/100, but don't need it in the present car with a reasonably accurate MFA.

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
I like my sgII......I use it to monitor intake air temp, coolant temp, voltage, and boost via map......very handy.

j_martell

Veteran Member
TDI
Reflex Silver 2006 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon
I also have a SGII. Monitors Boost (MAP), Load, Coolant temp and Trans Temp (Auto).

I like it, but, i have no experience with either of the others mentioned. Got a killer deal on it from a memeber here, he put an MFA in his golf :)

TonyG

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf Wagon DSG
I have a ScanGauge 2 that I used in my Mk4 to monitor all the parameters listed above, then moved it to my MK6 wagon to monitor regens, but no longer have a use for it. PM me if interested.

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
I like my scangauge 2, but id like to try the ultra gauge too

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
I also have a SGII. Monitors Boost (MAP), Load, Coolant temp and Trans Temp (Auto).

I like it, but, i have no experience with either of the others mentioned. Got a killer deal on it from a memeber here, he put an MFA in his golf :)
Hehe indeed I did but the golf has been gone for almost a year now... The one thing I do miss about the MFA is fuel consumption, and average speed per tank... It's really what I used the scan gauge 2 for, the other stuff was just nice to have but didn't really need it, the coolant temp was probably the nicest one of all... Now I would look at getting something like a scan gauge e but I can't justify that money just for some fuel economy numbers

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
With me, the F/E #'s were good (had instant and tank F/E on x-gauges), but the real draw for my retentive nature was being able to see the actual coolant temperature (vs the idiot gauge) and the voltage.

Should the car ever develop a small leak and cause the low coolant lightshow, I would be able to gauge how far I could go on the actual temperature, not just the "shut down now" MFA message.

Same thing with the voltage should the alternator ever develop a problem , I would get a sense of how far I could go with (DRLs disabled) the car should it stop charging.