Buyback: IF condition doesn't matter, lets make them Art Cars

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
For the last month before the car goes back:

1. No slowing down for speed bumps.
2. Drive on gravel roads whenever possible and as fast as possible.
3. The only allowable accelerator positions are 0 and 1. Light switch.
4. All starts from a stop shall be done by mashing the accelerator all the way to the floor (engine at redline) then side-stepping the clutch.
5. All corners are to be taken by cranking the steering wheel to full lock and as fast as you dare.
6. Only use the hand-brake for coming to a stop ... no using the foot brake except in an emergency.
7. Field car? No problem.
8. Kids throwing up in the back seat? The more the merrier.
9. Eating fast food inside? Sure. Smoking? If you're into that sort of thing. Maybe even wacky-tabacky.
10. Last but not least, strip out everything not yet broken that is not necessary for the car to function under its own power.

:)

If it's going to the junk pile, it's going there as worthless as possible. No parts left on it that are worth the time and effort to remove. No tread depth left on the tires. Nothing left on the brake pads. It will stink and it will look like armageddon struck.

newWorldTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW 6SPD
You're welcome!

I bought the car for similar reasons... performance, efficiency, function and design. I guess I was reacting to the disposable society we seem to be and how a car is now being treated as a disposable item. It seems like a waste of resources and manufacturing energy, to just crush the cars.
They're going to the crusher - no doubt, just like Cash for Clunkers (more US GovCo stupidity, but I digress . . .)

I'm too lazy to art mine up, but you better believe I'm pulling the BBS wrapped in Michelin Pilot Sports and slapping the OEM wheels with a set of used tires back on there. And pulling the Curt Hitch.

Speaking of, I got a sweet set of BBS with Michelin Pilot Sports and a Curt Hitch that will fit 2009-2013 Jetta Sportwagens :D Anybody interested?

newWorldTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW 6SPD
On another note, is is slightly out of alignment and the rear brakes are about 1 mm - neither of which I'm doing.

I'm still scratching my head why I just had them change the oil and do the cabin filter, used the $500 dealer only card. Went to look at Golfs they had on the lot. Really liked the GTI Autobahn with Perf package, very nice for VW. Also drove a hot Stage 2 2013 Golf R but couldn't find a good place to really test it out.

Mark SF

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDi
To anyone thinking of deliberately damaging their cars, either by painting them or by any other means, the question I'd like to ask you is this :

Do you only behave like a decent human being if you stand to profit from it?

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
Removing upgrades and replacing with original equipment is fine.

Vandalizing your own car is juvinile.

newWorldTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW 6SPD
To anyone thinking of deliberately damaging their cars, either by painting them or by any other means, the question I'd like to ask you is this :

What's with the sanctimony here? They are going to DESTROY the cars. Crush them. Art car is at least a semi-cool way to send them out, I mean, think of the original vee-dub zeitgeist hippy van.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
When we buried Grandma, we didn't first cover her in tattoos.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Mines just getting a wash, wax, and some love. It's also probably not going back.

newbury

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW
I find it hard to believe some of the sanctimonious responders on here.
First of all the thread seemed to be ONLY discussing crusher bound cars.
Or even beyond purposely defacing your car, what if it is not in running condition? Can you tow it in? Or what about someone out there with body damage, or other mechanical issues....will those be accepted?
Why the freak is painting your car as an art car "defacing it"?
I would love to see a pic of someone driving up in one with doors, body panels and glass removed...lol. Everything off of it except whats needed to start it and drive it around the block to the dealer. Can you imagine the dealer having to cut you a $29K check for that.
I can't imagine a dealer paying $29K for a crusher bound car. More like 16K But if I find a duplicate gasser I could use the spare parts.
Call me a wet paper bag, but this is a stupid idea. Act like adults, treat the cars as you normally would. I can't think of anything my immature than trashing a vehicle simply because you feel like you won't have to pay for the damage done.
Wake up - what damage is "done" if it's going into a crusher? Do you carefully refold all your newspapers and make sure your cans are not dented before they are recycled?
If it's going to the crusher, what difference does it make?
Some will probably wash and wax before it's crushed.
Obviously, the environment is a low priority for those that want to sabotage their cars before selling it back. I'm surprised that you people even bought a TDI in the first place. Was it purely for selfish reasons of paying less for fuel? Seriously, why did you buy a TDI if you want to dump it after only a few years of ownership? Do you buy $5 bottled water at whole foods to be healthy and then burn the plastic in your backyard or something? I'm really perplexed by the sentiment of a lot of people on this forum.
Why do you ASSUME we REALLY WANT to sell them back? Many of us don't have much for options - keep it without a fix, don't pass inspection, just put it in a garage? If you'd like to buy mine and mount it on your mantel make me an offer better than VW.
Why do you ASSUME we PROFIT from it? Two years ago I expected to be driving it for another 15 years. Now I need to buy another car.
What's with the sanctimony here? They are going to DESTROY the cars. Crush them. Art car is at least a semi-cool way to send them out, I mean, think of the original vee-dub zeitgeist hippy van.
Or think of a hippy VW Beetle, a love bug (if you took out the back seat).
If it wasn't for "safety" concerns I'd like to try some bumper car action on turn in day. Maybe some jumps.
I had started another thread months ago on what we should remove before turn in for "precrushers" and the sanctimonious peeps jumped all over anyone who didn't turn it in the same way they bought it.
Well when I bought mine it had new tires and the sunroof didn't leak. There was no worry that the HPFP was going to explode or that the DPF was going to crack at 73K.
According to them I probably ought to pay $5,000 to get it back to "new condition" so it crushes just right.

Someone should start a picture oriented thread for the best painted turn in.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I say jump her over the grand canyon. Think of how great the youtube video would be!

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI
2x 2013 JSW (1 manual BOUGHT BACK 12/20/16, 1 DSG BOUGHT BACK 1/14/17), Audi A3 e-tron gas-plugin-hybrid, gas Volvo V60
While I am not going to do anything more than strip the mats, the cargo stuff (the liner and those velcro blocks), the first aid kit, and maybe take the wheels and pretty new Michelin tires off and either sell or use them on the e-tron (they are the same size as the e-tron uses when outfitted with 16" tires) -- just need to buy an Audi center plug to replace the VW one :) . Put some junk steel wheels on or trade someone who has a gasser and steel wheels with covers for real wheels (plus some cash). We'll see.

I'll vacuum and quick wash (not wax) before turning in.

But I understand the sentiment here on wanting to do more.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
Even if the cars are to be crushed, you will be dealing with a newly trained VW buy back rep. Why do anything that may put them out of their comfort zone in making the transaction? The rep doesn't know which cars will ultimately be crushed.

And as for "art", I think, at best, you are considering 1975 New York City subway car graffiti style art, not Beatles Rolls Royce, or even R. Crumb cartoon murals.

USCGTO

TDI
Passat TDi 6M
I drive mine daily.
I take it thru car wash twice a week ($15/ month - unlimited)

That's been the routine for the past 2 yrs 65k miles. And, I intend to keep it in good condition, as long as I am driving it.

That being said, the only thing I might take from the car is the cargo blocks in the boot.

langer

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 a3 & '07 gasser gti
They're going to the crusher - no doubt, just like Cash for Clunkers (more US GovCo stupidity, but I digress . . .)

I'm too lazy to art mine up, but you better believe I'm pulling the BBS wrapped in Michelin Pilot Sports and slapping the OEM wheels with a set of used tires back on there. And pulling the Curt Hitch.

Speaking of, I got a sweet set of BBS with Michelin Pilot Sports and a Curt Hitch that will fit 2009-2013 Jetta Sportwagens :D Anybody interested?
I wasn't going to pull my curt hitch until I looked up what they go for new. I don't remember paying 300 bones. I guess I'll be returning the car with the bumper sitting in the trunk, after I remove the hitch. Ah, nevermind, wally world has 'em for 140.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
They are not going to the crusher.

VW has an special exemption from the emissions standards as part of the settlement deal! They will still pollute more than they were supposed to, but if that offends you then that's why there's a buyback. You get the restitution money regardless!

There will be no loss of economy or power. (that was one of the requirements set forth as a condition of any settlement being approved)

Buyback cars will be turned around and sold on the lot after the fix is applied. There will be a fresh 4yr 48k mile warranty on everything you would be afraid of failing: turbo, injectors, HPFP, DPF, etc. I don't see how you can go wrong keeping it.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
Kerma, nothing is yet approved concerning modifications. But if what you say turns out to be true, we can always drop by the VW dealer, and buy one back.

They will have hundreds of thousands to sell.

newbury

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW
They are not going to the crusher.
VW has an special exemption from the emissions standards as part of the settlement deal! They will still pollute more than they were supposed to, but if that offends you then that's why there's a buyback. You get the restitution money regardless!
There will be no loss of economy or power. (that was one of the requirements set forth as a condition of any settlement being approved)
Buyback cars will be turned around and sold on the lot after the fix is applied. There will be a fresh 4yr 48k mile warranty on everything you would be afraid of failing: turbo, injectors, HPFP, DPF, etc. I don't see how you can go wrong keeping it.
Can you provide links to where the information is for a fix on the '09's?
Where can I find information on VW's "special exemption from the emissions standard"?
Or are you just trying to start an internet rumor?
Is that going to fix my sunroof drains where the hoses fall of?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Can you provide links to where the information is for a fix on the '09's?
Where can I find information on VW's "special exemption from the emissions standard"?
Or are you just trying to start an internet rumor?
Is that going to fix my sunroof drains where the hoses fall off?
If your car is an '09, and in terrible condition, there is a good chance it will be destroyed. You can pretty much guarantee it will be destroyed if you choose to vandalize it prior to selling it back. Not too earth friendly if you ask me.

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
'If there's an unfixable car, there's no deal.'

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/08/19/vw-diesel-plaintiff-lawyer-elizabeth-cabraser-q-a/

The decision that people have to make at this point in time is really the front-end threshold position. Do I participate in the buyback now or do I wait for the fix to be approved to see if it's something that's going to work for me? And that's the choice people have, and of course, they can change their minds at any point in the process. The one safeguard that was very important to us to build into this, because we didn't have a fix that had been approved and was in operation, was that if there is not an EPA/CARB-approved fix for a particular car, then the decision the consumer can make is either the buyback or no settlement, no deal. If there's an unfixable car, there's no deal.

If the cars can't be fixed then you won't be able to do the buyback either.

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Kerma, nothing is yet approved concerning modifications. But if what you say turns out to be true, we can always drop by the VW dealer, and buy one back.

They will have hundreds of thousands to sell.

I'll bet pink slips there will be an approved fix for all these cars.

the key here is "approved" and it does NOT necessarily have to be to the original standard.

And yes that is my plan, to purchase a nice "buyback" car that someone had hastily taken the trade-in value for instead of continuing to drive it. I can't wait. They will all have 4 yr/48k additional warranty from when they are "fixed" on everything that people worry about like the HPFP and DPF.

Redgrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 jsw

Nope, I chose to either kneel or sit!

But seriously I'm going to pull my aftermarket wheels and new tires and racks. Hell anyone want to buy a set of rubber mats?

Last edited:

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently

I plan on keeping my 2012 JSW for between 1 and 2 more years. A few weeks ago I had the 60K mile servicing performed.

When I return the car, I will take off the 17" alloy wheels so that I can use them as wheels for snow tires for my GTI, and I will put on the 16" steelies with snow tires that I bought last year.

I've told my kids (a late teen and an early 20s) that they are free to paint it if they wish. I hope they do, although I don't expect that they will. It would be art, not deliberate damage.

Last edited:

Mark SF

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDi
"Why do you ASSUME we PROFIT from it? Two years ago I expected to be driving it for another 15 years. Now I need to buy another car"

0/10 for written comprehension. I didn't think it was a complex point I was making.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I guess if you like being a distraction on the road and a magnet for the 5.0.

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive

I suggest you ask that question of VW's engineering and management groups before you ask it here... :rolleyes:

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Some people are taking this all way too seriously.

Janis Joplin painted up her 356. John Lennon painted his Rolls. It increased their values. :D