Question on Propel HPR fuel compatiablity

phillke

TDI
1996 passat b4 now with 376,000 mi
So can anyone confirm that in California the Propel Diesel Fuel HPR is compatible with the Touareg Diesel???

Thanks

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
There is already a large posting about this here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=434322

Bottom line: HPR is a safe drop-in replacement for D2. As far as the engine is concerned, it is diesel. There are no issues with using it in a modern CR engine. Most people have reported smoother, quieter operation. Some have reported a very minor reduction in MPG, while others report no change.

deegingerkid

Beware the Ginger! Vendor
TDI
"Blurple" 2000 New Beetle 5M 2006 Jetta has been SOLD
Like has been said it's good for all TDIs. That being said, it is sulfur free, and that's what provided the lubrication in D2 before ULSD was mandated. I think it's a bit prudent to use it with a lubricity additive like Optilube XPD for PDs and newer. Just as a fail safe. Other than that, I've used it straight up in my ALH and in the boyfriend's BHW (A PD), and our 1Z Passat. Good stuff!

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
I could be wrong but my understanding is that it is not the sulphur that is providing the lubricity but rather in the process of removing the sulphur from the fuel the lubricity ingredients of diesel are lowered/removed (at the refinery).

Like has been said it's good for all TDIs. That being said, it is sulfur free, and that's what provided the lubrication in D2 before ULSD was mandated. I think it's a bit prudent to use it with a lubricity additive like Optilube XPD for PDs and newer. Just as a fail safe. Other than that, I've used it straight up in my ALH and in the boyfriend's BHW (A PD), and our 1Z Passat. Good stuff!

phillke

TDI
1996 passat b4 now with 376,000 mi
thanks for the input. my concern is around injection pump and seal compatibility (long term)

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
thanks for the input. my concern is around injection pump and seal compatibility (long term)
First, I am running the Propel fuel and am happy with it so far. My injection pump is a fresh $1000 rebuild. I don't have a concern.

BUT, if you have any concerns about it bothering your injection pump - just do not use it. It is just not worth ANY loss of sleep/piece of mind in my book.

I am not saying anything about the Propel fuel, Just if you are not comfortable - don't use it. Stick with standard D2, then if/when your pump has an issue - you will have no guilt because you tried a different fuel.