DSG 40K service-to do or not to do?

suparag

Veteran Member
TDI
None now.
Hi guys,

I am very confused. According to VW website and few folks here at TDIClub DSG needs to be serviced every 40K miles, which includes a filter and fluid change.

According to dealer and other folks, DSG is a sealed transmission with lifetime service. Not that I trust the dealers, I trust the folks here who drive the TDI's everyday.

I am just confused. Should I do it? if so, where?

Suparag

redlm

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta
Trust VW for now. I think the service may have been added after initial introduction and some experience.

WOOCHOW

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS-GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
I would opt for the preventive maintenance. That tranny is going to be expensive to fix. Fluid and filter every 40-50K is reasonable.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
Do not be silly - ECS has complete kit fluid and filter and seal for 139.00 - If you do not have VAS 6262 write me for intructions and make it. You need VAG-COM for proper temp or a way to be sure you get the trans to 35-45 C. I wrote TDI and asked when they will accomadate us.

VISIT THE DSG database link below

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
suparag said:
According to dealer and other folks, DSG is a sealed transmission with lifetime service.
They're probably still thinking about the older "automatic" transmissions that were supposedly no-maintenance for "life"... (whose ???)

Then again, how many drivers actually keep their cars longer than 100,000 miles, anyway ? (I'm not talking Diesel owners here...)

Yuri.

soberups

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Just out of curiosity...what would a rebuild or replacement cost on a DSG trans in a Jetta? I've onlt got 6000 miles on mine so far, but I hope VWOA figures out what sort of preventative maintainence needs to be done on these by the time I get to 40K.

raybo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW DSG White Gold
soberups said:
Just out of curiosity...what would a rebuild or replacement cost on a DSG trans in a Jetta? I've onlt got 6000 miles on mine so far, but I hope VWOA figures out what sort of preventative maintainence needs to be done on these by the time I get to 40K.
A new unit is around 7K, remanufactured 3 or 4K (can't remember), according to a long-time mechanic at a local dealer. Plus installation, and re-coding the software.

Ray

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Well, although the DSG has its attraction, I'm afraid that it's not a great option for those of us who drive about 60,000 miles per year...

(I really should work on reducing that, of course...)

Yuri.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you drive normal there is no reason not to go 250k, the clutches are replacable. Remember is a manual

Dynamic shift gearbox

suparag

Veteran Member
TDI
None now.
wjdell,

I did register myself in the DSG users database. I do not have VAS6262 or VAG-COM. I would not mind getting myself a VAG-COM or VAS6262. Even if have both I am not sure whether I want to do this myself. I would rather have someone with more experience do it and gladly pay for it or guide me.

The local stealership is of no use, and I can drive to anywhere in the midwest to any of these GTG's have anyone of the more experienced TDIer guide me so I know it is done correctly.

I searched for VAS6262 but could not find anyone who sells it. I did find the fluid/filter kit at ECS tuning. I contacted KCTDI who reffered me to his son who works at VW dealership about 200 miles from my place. But according to him also DSG does not need any service. But after I mentioned about the TDI club forum, he said he will find out more and call me later.

Suparag

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you do not feel your skill level is enough then do not, you feel you are not mechanically inclined. But if you read the instructions you will see its idiot proof. At first I thought the Germans did it to prevent us from doing it ourselves. After thinking about it and looking at the process, they did it so the average tech could do it and not mess up. You empty like a oil sump, you change the filter, you fill 5.5 litres and you let the excess run off its done.

Last edited: