Noise on Hard Lefts after Peloquin LSD Install

Dante

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2000 Golf GLS TDI
Sorry if this is a duplicate post, but I can't find my first one.

I had a Peloquin LSD installed in my modified 2000 Golf GLS TDI with a clutch upgrade. Now it makes a noise on hard left turns undeer power. Id didn't make the noise before the clutch upgrade and LSD install and doesn't make it on right hard turns undeer power or on left turns with the clutch depressed.

Anyone else experience this? Is it normal (LSD slipping)?

The mechanic was recommended by several Fred's members and has done at least one Peloquin LSD before. He's offered to take a look at it and I will take him up on that, but I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this.

Thanks

TDIRyan

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI Black
Under power in turns, you may hear some noise.
I'm not sure how the peloquin unit works, but I've worked with LSD's and lockers in trucks before.

A locker in a truck will ratchet as you turn, and unlike a LSD, it will lock up and keep both tires spinning the same speed in a turn if you hit the gas (yeah, the back end comes around when that's done).

The LSD should have the same affect to a point. The LSD will have a mechanism to let the outside tire speed up in a turn and then when you punch the gas, it will try to gain control of that tire and when it does it'll make noise. Most LSD's use a clutch mechanism that will try to grip the wheels under power and when it does, it'll slip a little bit, causing some noise.

KI4HOK

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Reflex silver Jetta wagon
The peloquin is a torque sensing dif. It dosn't lockup like a clutch or locker dif.

Eck

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf TDI 2003 reflex silver 2dr, 5 speed
I have a Pelo LSD and it never made any sounds at all. Your concern is correct. I just don't know how to help. Is it still tracking straight? Maybe one of the gears is staying squezzed? I'd call Peloquin and ask.

Dante

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2000 Golf GLS TDI
I got this from Gary Peloquin after e-mailing him my question and the best description of the sound I could put in writing:

Hello Mr. Driver,
Yes the diff. will make a slight amount of noise on hard left and or hard right under hard acceleration. All is fine though.

Regards
Gary

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
I have one in my 01 and it does not make any noise. VW had a problem back in late 01 I believe with some trannys makeing noise only on hard turns and changed to a differant Oil so it may be the Oil you are useing.