98 Jetta cam lock tool question

cohomology

TDI
Jetta
Hi,
I just picked up a 98 Jetta and will try to replace the timing belt. When I searched for the tools I came across with this tool . It is a lot cheaper than the metalnerd version but will it get the job done? I noticed that it has a rectangular metal piece as the cam lock tool, in contrast with the metalnerd "M" shaped tool, will it work? Thank you all for reading.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Why won't it work? Need the fancy cam tool for the ALH. The flat bar works for the AHU.

BUT, I wouldn't buy from that seller for the reasons alluded to above.

Look on Amazon for the tools. Probably can get them cheaper.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
They will work, apparently, but they look like the cheapest thing I've ever seen.

I don't recall spending all that much for the tools I bought and they looked significantly better than this.

The part numbers for what you need are:

2064 (VW lock pin)
2065A (VW cam plate)
V159 (VW belt tension wrench)

There are lots of vendors on Ebay selling this, EWK sells the set here.

The V159 wrench is sold separately for $15, the 2065A lock plate I see for $20 shipped. the 2064 looks like it sells for $13 shipped. These are all on Ebay btw, but you might find better products sold as complete kit not on ebay, for less.

I think both wrenches and lock plate I have a Stahlwille brand, the pins I have are generic but fit well, one is nicer than the other, both have knurling for better handling but still I think a 10mm socket works if you don't have one.

All I know is I wouldn't give that much for the tools you pictured, they looks pretty shoddy.

Steve

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
You also need something to hold the cam gear while loosening/tightening the cam bolt.

The cam positioning plate is not used for that.

cohomology

TDI
Jetta
brilliant!All is very useful information. Thank you all for chiming in. Hopefully I can bring the 98 back to life without spending an arm and a leg.

PS, here is a little background about this 98: I picked it up from a Honda certified mechanic who works for a dealership. He did quite a bit to the car recently: replaced the stock springs with coilovers, new cv, new wheels, new tires... He also put on a new TB but then the problem started! The car sputters badly and stalls randomly. He thought it is a fuel problem and put on new fuel pump, new fuel filter but yet to see any difference. I asked him how he installed the TB and he said he did not use the special tools and just relied on his TB light! I was quite astonished the car still starts and runs so I assumed there was no head damage done to it and picked it up for a song with the intention to bring it back to life. Wish me luck guys!

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
brilliant!All is very useful information. Thank you all for chiming in. Hopefully I can bring the 98 back to life without spending an arm and a leg.

PS, here is a little background about this 98: I picked it up from a Honda certified mechanic who works for a dealership. He did quite a bit to the car recently: replaced the stock springs with coilovers, new cv, new wheels, new tires... He also put on a new TB but then the problem started! The car sputters badly and stalls randomly. He thought it is a fuel problem and put on new fuel pump, new fuel filter but yet to see any difference. I asked him how he installed the TB and he said he did not use the special tools and just relied on his TB light! I was quite astonished the car still starts and runs so I assumed there was no head damage done to it and picked it up for a song with the intention to bring it back to life. Wish me luck guys!
I always think it's funny when a 'mechanic' does a TB replacement and it causes problems but they ignore the evidence and start fussing with the unrelated things.

If a person installs a new TB and the car sputters and runs badly then logic would suggest that the TB replacement is the culprit, not the fuel pump or fuel filter etc. That is especially since the mechanic does the TB change in a manner contrary to 1)what manuals sugges and 2)contrary to best practice.

This is always the problem with non-TDI doing work on TDI cars, it's always represented as being the finest available but in the end the work is crap.

If you can't do the work properly just don't touch the car at all people.

Steve

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
I asked him how he installed the TB and he said he did not use the special tools and just relied on his TB light!
His timing light gun, huh? Did he attach the inductive pickup to spark plug wire #1, or #4? Our engines are mounted in the opposite direction as Hondas, so maybe that's where he made his mistake.

:toomanyemojistochoosefromhere

Good luck. Before seeing "prothe" on the ad, I was going to comment on the junky-looking flat bar, and the seller's statement that "you don't need a fancy tool anyhow." My comment is: some people just use a door hinge in place of the proper cam tool. If you're looking for Cheap, there's always something cheaper that what that guy is selling. Personally, I would get the ALH version of the tool, in case I ever upgraded to a Mk4. That tool works with Mk3 also.

cohomology

TDI
Jetta
Yeah that guy kept declining to admit he installed TB wrong b/c he "double/triple/quadruple checked with his TB gun". Well I know that he just tried to fool me into believing that the Jetta "just needs a new fuel filter to run perfectly". So when I left I asked him which dealership he works for and just put that place into my blacklist :)

Last edited:

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
There are timing lights that sense the pressure pulse in the fuel pipe.

I don't know where he'd get the specs to turn that into usable info on a TDI with only a TDC mark and does the thing detect the pilot pulse or the secondary.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Yeah that guy kept declining to admit he installed TB wrong b/c he "double/triple/quadruple checked with his TB gun". Well I know that he just tried to fool me into believing that the Jetta "just needs a new fuel filter to run perfectly". So when I left I asked him which dealership he works for and just put that place into my blacklist :)

I don't know where he'd get the specs to turn that into usable info on a TDI with only a TDC mark and does the thing detect the pilot pulse or the secondary.

Wouldn't be the first time a mechanic made it up. I've had mechanics lie to me in the face of photographic evidence. Mechanic years ago did the rear brakes on my Quantum Syncro and he left the small rubber boots off the cable ends where they belonged. Middle of winter and the brakes froze and I had to take it back in, with the photo to prove it. He still refused to accept responsibility.

Steve

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
I like to give people the benefit of the doubt.

But I agree he probably did the ole M&P wrong assuming the original belt wasn't wadded up in shreds under the cover.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Yes, there are, a friend of mine has one and used it on his Nissan Maxima diesel 6 cylinder, worked like a charm in a situation where setting timing was odd.

In a nutshell it's the wrong tool for the job and VW does not have specifications (or does not publish specs) to support the use of one on TDI cars. VW does however have specifications to set timing with 1551/52 devices or with VAG-com.

Regardless of what the mechanic says he didn't do it right. He should be publicly flogged for doing it the way he did but that's not likely to happen since his ego can't even allow him to admit he did it wrong.

In closing, 'triple checking' does no good when the whole procedure is incorrect.

Steve