2015 Golf brake upgrade

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
after a few hours wandering around google and various forums i think i am a little more confused and now so here is a new thread on it.

basically i bought a 2015 SEL 6spd golf TDI last week, rotors are warped so i need a brake job. i figure while I'm in there i'd like to upgrade to larger rotors and better pads. i'm ok on what pads i want but more questions on rotor/carrier option......

My questions is what works on these cars?

i came from years of MK4 ownership so i know VW likes to used the same caliper but different carrier brackets to push it out for a larger rotor and those are an easy retrofit onto other vehicles.

then the rear brakes......
i see that many of the larger 3xxmm rear brakes have an electronic Ebrake caliper, is that an entirely different deal than what i have with the older style cable E-brake.

does anyone sell just the caliper carriers so i can just buy larger OEM rotors and swap the carriers so its not just less cost but easier/faster/no brake bleeding?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
check out 312mm carrier upgrades, real cheap and easy to do once you're souring replacement rotors.

I'd leave the rears alone and only upgrade them if you're going to play with the big boys and upgrade the fronts to 340mm.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26006

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
In addition to larger brakes, you can also investigate the Audi parts bin as many Audi models that ride on the same platform get higher performance brakes of the same size. You'd have to do some investigating, but the Audi A3 rides on the same basic underpinnings. I have found that if the brake pads and rotors are the same dimensions, Volkswagen vs. Audi, but are different part numbers, then they are often a "grippier" material for both the pads AND the rotors. They will not last as long, but will stop better.

May not be an option for every model, though.

For instance (just looked it up):

The brake pad set for a 2015 Golf w/ 312mm front rotors:

8V0-698-151-G

The brake pad set for a 2015 Audi TT w/ 312mm front rotors:

8J0-698-151-F

In this case, both cars use the same rotors, but the pad difference and the type of car difference suggests strongly that the TT's pads are formulated for much higher performance driving, and thus will work better albeit at the cost of shortened life. However, shortened life could mean 100k miles of use instead of 200k miles of use, so....

But they'll fit right in with zero modifications and may be similar in cost. Keep in mind, this would be for an OEM type of pad (Textar, TRW, Pagid, Ate, etc.). Some aftermarket stuff may not make the distinction, and you get what you get because they'll only have one choice for both models.

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
ok cool i'll have to look into that.

do you know what i can use for the rear brakes?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Measure your front and rear rotors, it will be easier for me to narrow down the choices if I know what size to look for.

DSIre

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf TDI (sold), 2011 A3 TDI, 2015 A3 TDI (Returned)
For my A3, I put on MK6 GTI brakes. I found a seller that had new car take off's. Red calipers, red brackets, and new rotors. 312mm front ATE calipers and 286mm rear Bosch calipers. Very happy with the improved braking. He sold with the dust shields and brake lines, so everything fit right up. Look on Vortex classifieds. They do pop up occasionaly

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Definitely get the larger dust shields when you upgrade. I have 18z brakes with no shields and my wheels are filthy in NO time. I'm gonna eventually try and retrofit the larger ones on there.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
another perk of 288 to 312 rotors, no need to change the dust shield as it's the same part. for both sized rotors.

Insane

TDI
MK7 Golf
I just recently (month ago) did the upgrade to the 312mm in front.

Went with 312mm slotted Stoptech rotors, GTi caliper carriers, Red Stuff pads.

The difference is amazing!

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
I just recently (month ago) did the upgrade to the 312mm in front.

Went with 312mm slotted Stoptech rotors, GTi caliper carriers, Red Stuff pads.

The difference is amazing!
where did you source your parts from? these were just bolt on correct?

i think i'll just do this as well so i can run 16" snows

Insane

TDI
MK7 Golf
where did you source your parts from? these were just bolt on correct?

i think I'll just do this as well so i can run 16" snows

Went to a local shop and explained what I wanted to do. They were super accommodating and said if they source the parts they will warranty the parts as well as the work. That was an easy choice, took them a day (after parts came in) and I had my car back with crazy levels of stopping power.

https://imgur.com/Ri74V0y

Kinda crappy picture but you get the idea. I enjoy that the upgrade isn't flashy, just highly practical.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
looks like gti carriers, kinda surprised they didn't offer to paint the caliper to match, but then again red is tough to match.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Will the 312 rotors and gti calipers fit using stock golf s 16" wheels? Or rather will the wheel clear?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
should, i run biolines (16x6.5 et50) from my 2010 jetta on our Alltrack wit 312's, just be sure of wheel weights, you want them on the inside of the rim and low profile as well, otherwise the rotor will clean them off for you.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Thanks 740, I just bought a couple 3k mile gti calipers. Textar rotors supposedly are top tier quality so it might make sense to use them. Should add a little bling with the red calipers.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
report back, I really enjoy the pedal feel of our Alltrack 312, for a DD I couldn't really ask for more.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I will report back 740, but it might not be right away. They may go on my friends newly acquired 17k sportwagen with 16" or on mine with austin 18".

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Same seller 1aauto.com sells pair of rear 252mm rear drilled/slotted coated rotors for 26 bucks.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Installed the 312's on my friends gsw under the stock 16" wheels. there is about 11mm clearance caliper to wheel. The pads aren't seated yet so far they feel good compared to the crappy pitted ones that came off. The red calipers give it added bling as well as the drilled, slotted look.

sprstu

Veteran Member
TDI
mk1 TD, GSW TDI 6spd
Here is my upgrade to stock GTI non-performance front.

The stock Caliper is the same only item needed is the caliper carrier. Many people who upgrade their GTI to the PerformancePack or Golf R sell off the old stuff. I bought these used for $75shipped on VwVortex. I opted to not buy the red caliper, I can paint my own stock units later.
I just need to remember to shop for 2015 GTI brake parts when they need replacing again in the future. I did not do any stopping tests and really day to day I don’t think it makes any difference except for the peace of mind and vanity of the larger brakes. I’m sure they do stop better and handle more load but while sitting in traffic...

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm sure you could lock up and activate ABS with 288 front rotors, what the 312 will get you is better heat dissipation and improved "performance" under repetitive stopping.

Also Alltracks and passats have 312 non painted carriers,

Either way cheap upgrade if you already needed rotors. Also I hope you prepped the mating surface of the hub and tossed on some antisize, you're future self will thank you.

Last edited: