How often do you change your wiper blades?

How often do you change your Wiper Blades?

• Total voters

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 SportWagen TDI DSG (Buyback 2018.01.30)
Just curious to know how often everyone here changes their wiper blades, and if they go OEM or not.

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
BMW Advanced Diesel...2011 BMW 335d
I always go OEM, I change them when the rubber separates from the blade itself, about once a year, In AZ the sun does a lot of damage...

TDiSkater

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG Salsa Red
I replace as needed - usually every 7 to 9 months. Not exactly twice a year, but more than once. I probably could get more time if I cleaned them with alcohol wipes more often. However, I've only replaced the rear blade once. I just don't use that very much to bother. I suspect it will work out to every other year.

Last edited:

Dirtracr95

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Sedan DSG
As needed but I use rainx washer fluid so I dont even bother using wipers in light rain. Are they replaced at the 10k and 20k service? I have not changed them on my own yet and Im about to do my 20k.

Anonymous911

Veteran Member
TDI
'16 DBP GTI SE 6MT PP/LP
Got new BOSCH wipers from Pep Boys and they do better job than the OEM wipers.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
Only when necessary. On three VW diesels (they are out in the elements 24/7) they have lasted 11 years /4 years. The jury is still out on the third one as it is only 2 years old (2012) So far I have used oem replacements. If anyone can clue me in which aftermarket replacement wipers can last past 11 /4 years, I'd consider switching.

Four tricks that I am guessing will extend wiper life: 1. use of rain x or rain x type products on the windshield, they seem to reduce friction as well as letting a lot of water sheet off 2. when using wipers using the wipers variable interval settings, rather than on @ all the time (consistent with safety obviously) 3. using a scotch brite sponge, one with the scour pad and on some schedule running it up and down each blade with a soapy water solution to remove dead rubber. 4. in hot sun, rather than let the wipers BAKE onto the windshield, put wipers in the AWAY (from windshield) position.

Last edited:

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
Only when necessary. On three VW diesels (they are out in the elements 24/7) They have lasted 11 years to 4 years. The jury is still out on the third one as it is only 2 years old (2012) So far I have used oem replacements. If anyone can clue me in which aftermarket replacement wipers can last past 11 /4 years, I'd consider switching. Three tricks that I am guessing will extend wiper life: 1. use of rain x or rain x type products on the windshield, they seem to reduce friction as well as letting a lot of water sheet off 2. when using wipers using the variable wiper interval settings 3. using a scotch brite sponge one with the scour pad and on some schedule running it up and down each blade with a soapy water solution to remove dead rubber.
It doesn't rain that much in San Jose, does it?

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
It doesn't rain that much in San Jose, does it?
Got to love this "global warming";):D We also got to Tahoe a lot (winter ice, slush, rain and snow)

Last edited:

Early8Q

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI 3 pedal
I try to maintain mine and keep them clean. Lately it seems that I get tagged with blade replacement at inspection time when a tech gets picky... I find that maintaining them at each wash seems to give lots of life.

I forgot to mention that I am also an Aquapel user.....

Black11TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI (Gone But not Forgotten), 2013 Tiguan SE 4 Motion
My Only if necessary was 4 times last year all OEM from one dealer, new set put on in November from Dealer #2 have seems to be the best. Dealer #1 was Valeo's priced at $55 for the pair. Dealer #2 are Bosch and I got them with a 10% off coupon for $40 out the door, including a new rear. Had a special going on. Some punk stole my rear wiper a few nights later went back to Dealer #2 and they replaced it for $15 with a Bosch. Funny How dealers can charge what they want and what brand they chose. Dealer #1 does not even stock the rear wiper for the Golf or JSW and are labeled under Special Order Only. Dealer #2 Stockes 10 sets for both Cars.

The Valeos seemed to get eaten up fast, this time of year since I park out side the car gets covered in pollen, and with all the farm machinery running around on public roads making them nuddy it just seems to eat the Valeos up. The Bosch seem to be doing well so far, only complaint is on the last wipe it leave a thin trail of water at the outer most edge of the arc. The courtesy wipe or what ever its called that wipes 20 seconds after they stop usually takes care of it..

fowvey

Veteran Member
TDI
(2014 Jetta TDI DSG) -Gone, but not forgotten, 2014 Audi A6 TDI
I always go OEM, I change them when the rubber separates from the blade itself, about once a year, In AZ the sun does a lot of damage...
+1...unfortunately :(

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
happy to see so many responses on this thread.

Interesting to see that 70% report changing when necessary (Reactive), although I wonder what that means for each responder, and 26% report changing once yearly (Pre-emptive).

My blades are sixteen months old (!) and are finally beginning to streak. Think it's time to replace them, though only after a good cleaning to see if I can squeeze a little more time.

I used to be a Rain-X user many years ago but got bored (frustrated) by the application process and replacing so many blades. The Rain-X was drying out my blades and causing them to crack early.

Thx for all of the responses everyone!

halfast3

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG
happy to see so many responses on this thread.
Interesting to see that 70% report changing when necessary (Reactive), although I wonder what that means for each responder, and 26% report changing once yearly (Pre-emptive).
My blades are sixteen months old (!) and are finally beginning to streak. Think it's time to replace them, though only after a good cleaning to see if I can squeeze a little more time.
I used to be a Rain-X user many years ago but got bored (frustrated) by the application process and replacing so many blades. The Rain-X was drying out my blades and causing them to crack early.
Thx for all of the responses everyone!
Interesting. I'm a long time time Rain-X user and have never had an issue with blade life. One of the advantages of Rain-X is that, since you rarely need to use your wipers, the blades last much longer. Our 2011 still has the OE blades on front and they still perform like new when we need to use them.

DRbillZ

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle, Jetta, one totaled Passat....RIP.
Our '06 went three years with the original blades and I'm a freak when it comes to streaking blades!! In fact I think I've only changed those blades twice since '06 and 127,000 miles.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
My blades are 18 months old and the car has 44k miles on it. I apply rainX when I wash the car and the wipers are still doing their job fine. I do have a set of oem blades in the trunk for when the time comes.

edman007

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Just did mine, replaced with Trico NeoForm from AutoZone (wanted the Bosch Icon, but they didn't have it and the ice ripped it the rubber right off that morning). Still made it right up to the 2 year mark with no issues (except the rear, that went quite a bit faster due to the road grime on the rear).

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
As often as necessary and not a moment sooner. ;)

zagato27

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDi CW Titan 6MT Pano Nav Interlagos
Just replaced my original blades on my '12 JSW as they just started seperating. Got some Michelin Ultra's at Advance Auto. They have the correct plastic bits so they go on easy. Waiting for rain;)

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
I decided that wipers are a pretty cheap pre-emptive replacement part. Why wait for them to start streaking (cracks, nicks) or chattering (getting hard)? So after the winter beating they take with road salt and sand/grit, I replace the front wipers every spring with fresh rubber. And the rear wiper every other spring.

For the first replacement, I used the Bosch that are considered OE-equivalent. But I found them to have harder rubber, and not work as well. So I've gone back to the OE-VW blades, which I believe are made by Valeo.

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
Good point Frugality. Driving through the rain in NYC yesterday I realized that my crappy blades are done. Streaking in the center of my line of sight. I've tried cleaning them to no avail. Like your handle, I was trying, butTime to order a new set of Valeos...

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
My blades last about a year in the CA desert. Like the Bosch OEM blades, but went with the Costco Goodyear blades a few months ago @ 7.99 each. Much better value and they have performed just like the OEM since installed. We'll see how long they hold-up.