Left Hand Turn Noise at Right Front

oEo

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf TDi PD ::Indigo Blue::
Slow speed only... (Like driving through neighborhood or turning from a dead stop) Turning left, heard from the right front-noise? (sounds like blowing into a empty coke bottle). Rubber bushing?

EDIT: Doesn't happen when turning right.

Last edited:

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
oEo said:
Slow speed only... (Like driving through neighborhood or turning from a dead stop) Turning left, heard from the right front-noise? (sounds like blowing into a empty coke bottle). Rubber bushing?

EDIT: Doesn't happen when turning right.
Similar problem last May, it was a grinding noise at slow turns. It turned out to be the front struts, they were totally toast and actually moved at the bottom attachment clamps. These were replaced under a life-time warranty through Bilstein. Noise went away after both front struts were replaced.

MrChill actually jacked up the car in his shop and physically moved the struts up front ...exposing the play- or -wear in the struts itself. I had 140,000 miles on the front struts, ...these were installed in 2003 after the OEM dampeners and struts wore out.

oEo

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf TDi PD ::Indigo Blue::
david_594 said:
Did you check in the wheel well to see if anything is rubbing?
good point, but i know it started before i lowered it.

I'll double-check.

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
I was having a similar problem. Turned out to be a slightly bent fender liner. Try removing it and driving around. If there is no noise, there's your problem.

Gut Fahrt

Similar experience

I had a similar experience with my 2002 Jetta wagon, it sounded like a spring binding or something. It started about 7 or 8 months ago at about 65k miles and could only hear it when turning a fairly sharp corner, like when parking or making a slow turn. I tried looking at the struts to find the problem but couldn't see anything obviously wrong. Yesterday, at 84k, there was a large pop from the right side as I was turning a corner. I found the top size inches of the front right spring had broken off. There was corrosion on the inside of the spring which caused the failure. I had new tires and a 4 wheel alignment a couple of months ago at a reputable shop and there was no mention of any unusual wear with the struts or bushings.