Dieselgate, The Canadian Edition

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
actually to update its a funny situation as I finally got hold of the paperwork.
My dad bought the car brand new in Nov 09 and put it under my name but he paid for it.
Then march 2011 he transferred it back to his name so he can use it and insure it.
Now when completing the forms online, there is a section if I needed a power of attorney to represent him. But it says if I'm just assisting him in doing the registration process, I don't think I need to check that option do I?
If he is still capable of making his own decisions and signing the paperwork, you don't need POA.

You'd know if you needed POA because you would have gotten it long before this case. It's used when the person you have power over can no longer make those decisions either mentally or physically.

philmcneal

TDI
None
If he is still capable of making his own decisions and signing the paperwork, you don't need POA.
You'd know if you needed POA because you would have gotten it long before this case. It's used when the person you have power over can no longer make those decisions either mentally or physically.
tyty for your response! :D

copperbeech

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI MT Sportwagon.
At the time of purchase of a brand new 2015 TDI GSW we opted to include the VW 5 Star Mechanical Breakdown Warranty (10 years). We are accepting the buy back offer with trade in. In advance of the actual return of the car is there a way to obtain a prorated refund of this warranty?
Depends who the underwriter is. If it's one that is administrated by LGM, then No, VW told them to stop issueing refunds due to the scandal a few months ago.
For those of you who did the "Buyback Trade in" of your TDI that still had outstanding years of coverage under the VW Mechanical Breakdown Extended Warranty, I am wondering how the dealer may or may not have 'compensated' you in the purchase of your replacement VW.
(I have read that the dealers can/will apply the pro rated amount towards the purchase of an extended warranty on the new purchase).

CDN_TDi

TDI
2002 Jetta TDi (sold) | 2011 GSW TDi (turned in)
Used 2015 Golf TDI - recent postings

Thoughts on 2015 Golf TDIs ? ...recent FS postings on vw.ca this month (incl manual trans). Perhaps some may be interested in BB w/ Trade-In on the above

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Thoughts on 2015 Golf TDIs ? ...recent FS postings on vw.ca this month (incl manual trans). Perhaps some may be interested in BB w/ Trade-In on the above
Well, they'd be ones that have had the first phase of the fix done.... so there's that. You'd need to go back and get phase 2 done next year. And you won't be getting any money for it.

Some may still be leftover.... but I highly highly doubt it.

That means that VW has purchased these back from owners and fixed them... meaning they are already out a ton of money on them, which means they are likely going to cost a pretty penny.

If you will get the benefit of a TDI (like, you drive 6000km a month or more) then it might be worth it in the long run.

Me - I don't drive near enough to really get all the benefits of a TDI so I'm looking for a low mileage gas wagon to replace my TDI. Hopefully using the buyback money to pay for the whole thing...

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
I hate car shopping... and have yet to find a replacement car.... Once I do though, it's back to the portal to play with the values and find my optimal turn in date....
I hear ya.
I jumped on it as soon as I could...value was good at the time and that was it. But yeah, car shopping.....lots of fun.:)

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Me - I don't drive near enough to really get all the benefits of a TDI so I'm looking for a low mileage gas wagon to replace my TDI. Hopefully using the buyback money to pay for the whole thing...
Same with me on the TDI benefits. When I bought my '16 Golf in Aug. '15, I was already retired and no longer commuting. This was just before dieselgate and the '16 TDI Trendline was a full $3k more than a TSI so I went with the latter, no regrets, very good fuel consumption for a gasser, more power and quieter than a TDI. And no DPF, HPFP, pee tank...

We did go for the buyback with my wife's TDI wagon. Payout was $20.8k for her '13 GSW, a brand new Trendline with connectivity+ package was $23.8k. So for $3k plus PDI and taxes she got into a brand-new wagon.

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Well, the end is in sight.... I've verbally agreed to purchase a replacement car ('09 Passat Wagon with super low miles)....

So long as everything checks out okay via the safety and etest - I should be initiating my buyback (I've been on step 11 for months), by next weekend.

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
Anyone doing a buyback on their VW?

I am looking for a VW Alloy Wheel Center Cap

Some douch stole one off of my Jetta at Costco in Ajax.

Part Number: 3B7601171XRW ; 3B7601171; 3B7601171BXF

Same part goes back to 1990.

Replacement Center Caps for large number of Genuine Volkswagen Factory and Accessory Wheels with exposed wheel bolt holes.

btrumper

TDI
2003 wagon, 2011 Golf Wagon
I’ve posted this in another thread before finding this one- please forgive the duplication. I know many Americans have been receiving settlements for cars with rebuilt titles but I understand the language is different in the American and Canadian documents. Have any Canadians been successful in receiving settlements on cars with rebuilt titles?

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon

Replacement Center Caps for large number of Genuine Volkswagen Factory and Accessory Wheels with exposed wheel bolt holes.
Go to the dealer. They are not that expensive.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)

I ordered a set off eBay, still have 2 sitting in my tool box. You pay for postage.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I’ve posted this in another thread before finding this one- please forgive the duplication. I know many Americans have been receiving settlements for cars with rebuilt titles but I understand the language is different in the American and Canadian documents. Have any Canadians been successful in receiving settlements on cars with rebuilt titles?
Yep! I bought almost exactly a year ago - 2015 GSW with rebuilt status in BC.
Got phase 1 work and payment ($1750) from VW in the fall.

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Believe for Canada it needs to have been rebuilt/branded AND purchased from a salvage yard in order to not be included.

might take some time to prove that, but I believe that's the gist of the documentation.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
The approval process didn't seem to take any longer with our rebuilt GSW vs. our "clean title, purchased in March 2017" Golf TDI (although both were lonnnnnng - like over a month after all the documentation and forms were completed and sent to them.)

Getting the cheque on the "clean" car, though, was significantly faster.

Q-town Ranger

TDI
We have a '09 Jetta with 200K km on the odometer. We like the car and weren't in a hurry to go through the process, but this week we pulled the trigger. Sent in the documents on Monday, you know the process, offer letter to us Thursday morning. The offer is as per the estimator and more than fair. I read all the grief people were having early in the process, and learned from that, and I guess the bugs have mostly been worked out of the system.
We are probably going to hold the car through the winter driving (road salt) season and do the buyback in the spring.

It's been interesting trying to decide on a replacement, which will be a small SUV:

- considered Subaru Outback, Honda CRV but ruled them out.
- still considering Rav 4, Tiguan, CX-5 diesel if it ever appears.
Nothing will beat the TDI for economy and performance in one package.
Wife makes the final decision as it is mostly her car.
QR

tomakathestig

TDI
09, Highline Jetta 12 Highline Passat....I wish my wife was as dirty as my TDI
Anyone have any idea of the timeline or speculations on court actions regarding the Canadian 3.0l settlement?
I seem to remember December being mentioned....

Thanks,

Q-town Ranger

TDI
"How come we’re not looking at the 1.6 Equinox?"

We prefer the Japanese and Euro makes. Tiguan seems to be at the top of the list despite VW perfidy.
QR

KrisA

TDI
2010 Golf SportWagen
"How come we’re not looking at the 1.6 Equinox?"

We prefer the Japanese and Euro makes. Tiguan seems to be at the top of the list despite VW perfidy.
QR
I was thinking the same thing until I drove the new Tig and an Alltrack back to back. Long story short there is zero comparison, unless you need the small increase in space of the Tig the Alltrack is:

1) way better to drive
2) way better to look at
3) way quieter
4) way better built, the two Tig's I drove were already suffering from small squeaks around the b pillars
5) the Tig engine is a droning POS compared to the 1.8 in the Golf
6) Alltrack with 6MT is 6k cheaper than a comparably equipped Tiguan Highline

Again unless that extra few inches of height and 6" of potential cargo depth when the rear seats are forward, or the option 3rd row, are must haves for you I don't get why people would buy these over a Sportwagen or Alltrack if you need the clearance.

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
Again unless that extra few inches of height and 6" of potential cargo depth when the rear seats are forward, or the option 3rd row, are must haves for you I don't get why people would buy these over a Sportwagen or Alltrack if you need the clearance.
Its easier to get in and out of a suv
Sitting higher gives you a slightly better view
Soccer mom/dad stickers dont look as cool on an Alltrack
;)

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
PST response form the Gov today - right out of the blue. I had given up hope, still not getting excited until the cash is in hand!

File # x xxx xxx

Good morning, Mr. Murdock:

I am responding to your request for a refund of Provincial Sales Tax (PST) paid on VW Golf purchased on June 12, 2010. Before proceeding with the claim I require additional information.

• Please provide a copy of the original bill of sale for the purchase of the vehicle.
  • Please provide a copy of the letter of offer of settlement from Volkswagen Class Action Administration.
  • Please provide a copy of the transaction receipt
  • Please provide a copy of the cheque stub from the VW payment.

You can email the requested documentation to Louise.Sundberg@gov.bc.ca, or fax to my attention at 250-387-7887.

When forwarding the required documentation, please quote the file number noted above.

Upon receipt of the required documentation, the application will be further reviewed. If all of the requested information noted above is not received in our office by noon on December 20, 2017, the file on this claim will be closed.
BoS - Check!

RP settlement forms - Check!

Cheque stub - It was given to the bank, I never took a copy why would I? (Was part the 2 pieces of RP paperwork from turn in.)

Transaction record - Perhaps the paper the RP representative gave us at the dealer the day we turned it in? (See above.)

Last edited:

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
Ugh - where are the Settlement forms? I can't d/l from the portal and I can't find my copy.

Calling RP has been less then helpful as it took them 15min to tell me that my "claim is now complete"... I told the CSR that to start the conversation. Oh, what system are you using, it must be an IT problem :eek::confused::rolleyes:

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
It took almost 30min but after being told 4x they couldn't send me a copy BOOM I got what I need. Forwarded everything on to the Gov lady so now fingers crossed a cheque shows up!

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
PST response form the Gov today - right out of the blue. I had given up hope, still not getting excited until the cash is in hand!

BoS - Check!

RP settlement forms - Check!

Cheque stub - It was given to the bank, I never took a copy why would I? (Was part the 2 pieces of RP paperwork from turn in.)

Transaction record - Perhaps the paper the RP representative gave us at the dealer the day we turned it in? (See above.)
Yes, it seems they are relaxing the '4 years' limit....

Lucky BC'ers.... more buyback money than Ontario AND PST rebates....

And don't get me started on the nice weather :)

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
$937 refund - Boom!

Merry Christmas!