Opinons/advise on a used Toureg or Q7

Yai

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, 2014 Touareg- R Line
Hi,

I posted on the Toureg thread, and looking to get some opinions/perspective from Q7 owners. I'm looking at picking up either a used Treg or Q7 Vorsprung edition.

Currenty have a 2012 tdi golf, and plan on keeping. I've always wanted a Toureg TDI, and now Looking for one, for those long family road trips. I've been searching on the forums, and figure probably easier to ask for some opinions/advice.

My budget is going to range from $25k-$35k CAD, preferably on the lower end of the scale but no problem spending a little more for a lower mileage one. I was looking at 2013-2016 models, and do not plan on towing, and lookng for reliability and comfort. Treg will be a 3rd car, so no problem waiting for one that checks off the list. I can do some minor maintenance & repair ie.) replacing brake rotors/pads. I do have a local TDI mechanic, that won't rip me off. I also understand that repairs aren't going to be as low as my Golf.

Off the top of my head, a few of my questions are below:

#1. What model/year tend to be the preferred? (ie. earlier years had transmission, less occurence with HPFP failure etc.)

#2. What is a "decent" amount of milage for a toureg you would consider. Is 80k-100k miles consider on the high side for a used TDI Toureg? I purchased my 2012 TDI with 65K miles and has been pretty good, besides having to return to the dealership 4-5 times after emission fix.

#3. I considered a Q7 TDI but preffered the Toureg. I test drove an Audi Q7 Vorsprung edition, with 80K miles on it ($33kCAD). It drove very nice, and very smooth. I'm assuming Q7 repairs/maintenance would definitely be higher than the Treg's? I have 3 kids, and would love to have the 7 seats in th Q7, but I just have my heart set on the Treg. with that being said, the Vorsprung Q7 is making me 2nd guess myself, for the family car. We have a Toyota, Sienna, so I'm thinking 5 seater Treg is worth sacrificing for!

Any advise and opinions greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Ron

da.hs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf, DSG, silver (from new). 2010 Audi Q7 (from 2016), 2004 Touareg V10 (from 2018)
2011 went from 6 speed to 8-speed transmission - better fuel economy

2013 got a revised engine (still 3.0 V6) - again better fuel economy. I read that this engine is a bit easier to maintain too - 2 rather than 4 timing chains, and a little more space to work around it. Prices would, of course, be higher for the later years.

All of these have the CR HPFP - failures in the V6 seem to be quite rare but disastrous when they do happen. 2004 V10 - well, no HPFP, no timing chains and no DPF and Adblue system but plenty else to go expensively wrong!

The Q7 seems more prone to irritating rattles in sunroof and seat centre console. The ergonomics are different and on the whole I prefer VW but I do get used to the Audi. The extra length makes it a very practical vehicle even if you seldom use 3rd row seats.

I have 170,000km now on the Q7 - it doesn't feel "old", apart from sunroof rattles. No repairs needed in the two years I've had it.

2004 Touareg is new to me, 200,000km. It does feel a little older - and is, of course, from an earlier model generation. Some switchgear from a 2004 Golf/Jetta. More to go wrong: even apart from the V10 there is air suspension and transfer case. It is obviously going to be a temperamental car: often comes up with a warning on startup about some feature needing workshop attention and the warning is gone on next startup (or a different one). It's 14 years old after all...

I did test drive a 2014 Touareg (emissions "fixed") before buying the 2004 - a more practical car. If I was going to replace my Golf as daily runabout this would have been a far better choice - but I do like the 2004/V10. It may be my imagination but the 2014 seemed a somewhat smaller car. I also found the acceleration on the 2014 to be less than I'd expected - engine has slightly more power than that in my 2010 Q7 and in a slightly smaller vehicle but it didn't feel like it. Maybe the emissions fix.

Q7/Touareg maintenance costs: a visit to an Audi dealer would be more than a visit to a VW dealer but if you have an independent it may not be a big issue. VCDS works with both. Dealer needed for additional keys, for example: $500 for Audi, $300 VW

Yai

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you! Very good insight and info gathered from your response. The Q7 probably makes the most sense for my family if 5, but just torn on not getting a Treg. I’m going to keep my options open, and if a relatively low mileage Q7 pops up, I may jump on it.

Thanks!

Ron

da.hs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf, DSG, silver (from new). 2010 Audi Q7 (from 2016), 2004 Touareg V10 (from 2018)
A rule of thumb from the motorcycle world way back when: buy what you really want - because you'll probably end up buying it later anway

Yai

Veteran Member
TDI
Absolutely! I thought about it and I don’t think I would regret getting a Toureg, being my first choice. I may second guess myself if It wasn’t. Either way, I’d likely be happy with a Toureg, or the Q7 Vorsprung edition =)

A rule of thumb from the motorcycle world way back when: buy what you really want - because you'll probably end up buying it later anway

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
Your budget should be about right. We also have a Venza, but FWD thing that has zero useful cargo space (inherited, not bought) and the T-Reg vs. Q7 question was also in our minds. In the end the occasional 3rd row but NICE cargo with it down won out. Wanted a '15, but the lowest mileage, least optioned Q7 in the prairies was a 14, so that's what we bought. A sub-60k kms car (truck??) came up just over $35k (with a second set of wheels and new winter rubber), so you should be able to do at LEAST that well in the rust belt.