Anyone gone from a TDI to a TSI?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
30% of new cars are leased, and that includes fleets. So far fewer and "most" of the population.

I've leased cars in the past and bought them at the end of the lease term, usually to take advantage of a manufacturer sponsored lease incentive that was less expensive than financing or cash. If the buyout is competitive and you plan to keep the car leasing can be a good deal. But that's not why most people do it.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Fleets do leases because they already have planned replacements. This can vary sometimes, depending on some things. For instance we service several fleets that have over the years tended to run Ford E-vans. Even with some of the cheapening in recent years, mainly due to the use of the lighter duty 4R70/75W (the car transmission) instead of the 4R100W (the TRUCK transmission), the venerable E250 has proven to be a solid, known, tough, reliable workhorse. However, the switch to the Transit has left a sour taste in the mouth of many of these fleets. So sour, in fact, that the E-vans they currently have in service, are now kept in service. Either open-ended (meaning, no mileage/year limit, on a case-by-case basis) or a generous extension. And the fleets that cannot stomach the Transits, are switching to the G-van. Our neighbors in Wentzville, MO are certainly happy about this. That is the G-van's sole assembly point. Ironically, many E-vans and now all the US-market Transits are made across the state at Ford's ClayCoMo assembly. :p

But yeah, the funny thing is a bunch of E250s that were at the end of the lease were recently purchased by the company that had been leasing them, in large part due to there not being a direct replacement for them.

Sad, the Transit actually has a lot of good features, it just needs some tweaking to allow it to follow in the E-van's footprints.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Glad you think my customers are "unfortunate to end up here". Thanks for the thinly veiled insult, Mr. 2.2TDI.
You really don't get it do you? That comment wasn't aimed at you or your shop, it was aimed at the poor people who ended up with a POS car, they could've ended up at any shop or the dealer

Whatever I'm not going to argue anymore. This is a tdi forum after all...

If anyone reads this and is wondering about TSI engines, newer or older gen, there are plenty of other forums to get more unbiased information

oilhammer

TDI
Heh, I'm poking around on those forums (as well as many professional VAG tech forums) too. And there is no secret about the EA888's shortcomings. Of any generation. :p

Unbiased.... LMAO.... you don't know me very well. I've had more spark-ignited dubs than probably anyone reading this. I'm DOWN to just four right now. :D

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Every shop we work with that sees gasser VWs complains about the EA888. One local shop had two dropped off over a weekend for failed timing systems. They just appear.

It's too bad because they're in some cars I find pretty attractive, like the GTI and R.

oilhammer

TDI
And that is my biggest complaint: most every car they are used in are in some form a pretty decent package. And they run fantastic when they are all in good order. They just don't like to stay that way.

I was finishing up a brake job on a newer A6 quattro sedan with one last week, and I have to say it is quite amazing how easily and seemingly unstressed that engine feels pushing that big heavy AWD sled up to speed, through a slushbox and all. And its reported fuel economy of 24 MPGs in the MFA, if it is to be believed, isn't too shabby either. That is better than my much smaller much slower AWD Passat can manage. But the Passat has managed 16 years and 240k miles without any major engine work. And it still does what it did when new. I don't think that 2016 A6 will be able to claim that.

But at only 50k miles it was still doing OK. ;)

But all the Audis are great to drive. The Tiguan, even, if you are into that sort of package, is really excellent outside the engine. Eos, again, was excellent if you are into that sort of thing. But man, the engine issues just ruin it.

At least the replacements are 100% new, and have any applicable updates to them from the date the car left the factory:

I fear VAG's six cylinders have gotten no better, either.

This is a newer Audi A6 V6 getting some oil and coolant leaks fixed:

This is the CGXB supercharged DI V6 in a 2012 A6 sedan, although it is used in some other models too. Darn near impossible to do much with the engine in the car without fighting everything. So out it comes.... 118k miles.

Last edited:

TDILeo

Veteran Member
TDI
CW 2011 Golf TDI 6M Repurchased By VW 1/30/17 1985 VW GTI
I guess I can't complain about my 1.8 CIS in my 1985 GTI. Leaks a little bit but still feels pretty strong for 306K miles. :)

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Many of the DI gassers suffer from oil dilution, especially ones that are short tripped.

The 1.4L is no exception, however it does not seem to be especially drastic, and so long as the oil level is checked/added if necessary it should not be an issue.

It also still specs good ol' 502.00 5w40, and holds a reasonable amount (4.25 L) for its size. And you can screw on the longer oil filter (many VAG applications use them, just look it up for a 2005 BEV 2.0L if you like) and gain a little bit more oil capacity. I think the 1.4L got the short filter because in some applications the longer one will not fit. But in the NCS Jetta at least there is plenty of room.

I like that 1.4L. It is no TDI, but it does pretty darn good I think, and so far we've not seen any systemic chronic problems with them.
Hi Oilhammer! I have another question about my son's 2016 Jetta with the 1.4 TSI engine. Do you know the timing belt interval? My 2010 Golf TDI was 120K, then updated to 130K a year or two later. Is 120K a reasonable interval for the 2016 1.4 TSI?

Thank you!
Ken