Phase 2 Dealership Experience

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDi 6 Speed Manual
Finally bringing my '15 Passat in this Monday (11/19) for P2
The claims portal does not do a good job of documenting the two part fix process:
I've only had P1 completed, but it makes it look like the entire process is complete. Heck, it even states that you should recieve your check within three days, when in fact I've received payment for P1 in December 2016. No big deal, just an observation.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
The portals main goal was issuing payment for buy backs and or single phase fixes, I think the phase 1 and phase 2 stuff of the '15's came out well after the portal went live and never was updated.

Phase 2 is primarily for making the emissions systems components last the warranty period, continuing to make EPA happy as well as. Phase 1 was enough for the EPA with it meeting the agreed to limits.

If you are getting phase 2 and there still is money left on the table (IE you are original owner bought in 2014-15) I don't believe there is any action needed on your end, the check/deposit will show up eventually.

twinflyer17

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SE
Phew. After getting the run around from my local dealer and the people on the settlement hotline - the dealer stating that parts are on back order and the settlement hotline stating that they weren't aware of back ordered parts but telling me to work with the dealer - I finally got phase 2 completed on my '15 Jetta. If anyone else in the mid-Atlantic is running into the same issues, keep pushing the dealer. I called them early last week and was told that parts were still unavailable. I then called the next closest dealer and they stated that all parts for mid-Atlantic dealers come from a NJ distribution center and they could get the necessary parts in 1-2 days. When I called my dealer back again and told them this, they magically were able to get the parts and schedule my fix.

DieselDavid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6M, 2015 Golf SEL TDI DSG
A quick update. This last Monday I was finally allowed to drop off my car at the first VW dealer for completing phase two. They said the oil and filter change is only for the Audi TDIs, not the VW TDIs. So far 5 days have passed and they still have not begun to work on my car. More to come...

yurkin89

TDI
2015 GSW TDI x2
A quick update. This last Monday I was finally allowed to drop off my car at the first VW dealer for completing phase two. They said the oil and filter change is only for the Audi TDIs, not the VW TDIs. So far 5 days have passed and they still have not begun to work on my car. More to come...
Not true, my dealer tried charging for both of my vehicles. https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/wp-content/uploads/documents/PSC/Approved Exhibit 1 - Benefits.pdf

Pull up the last page.

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDi 6 Speed Manual
Picked mine up last week from a Gen 3 Phase 2B service. So far appears to run well. To early to comment on fuel mileage. I'm going to hold off on an alignment until I see how these tires wear. I'm replacing them shortly and may just get it done then. Steering wheel is centered and car tracks straight.
I did get a new DPF with kit B. Some have said the alignment does not change. Others say it could.
Little disappointed in the attention paid to small details. 4 belly pan screws were missing. Jacket of the cable to the new sensor was cut. Cable was not guided thru the support clamps. Other than that I can't tell what else. But with the extended warranty and the restitution money, I guess I can't complain. If something is not right, it's covered. :)
Hopefully my last post in this thread. Cheers

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I could be wrong, but with the NMS they may not need to drop the subframe, again I could be wrong but way more room under there than the MQB Golfs or tiny Jettas.

DieselDavid

Veteran Member
TDI
I gave the service adviser the printed PDF document which shows engine oil change and engine oil filter replacement is part of this recall. They added it to the work order and said it would not be an issue.

The service adviser said to keep driving the loaner car because there is one TDI ahead of my car and they won't get to mine until next week at the earliest.

DieselDavid

Veteran Member
TDI
The service adviser called and said they are going to start working on my car "early" meaning tomorrow. I just hope before the end of this month they complete this recall work on my car!

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
That's an awful long time to be sitting on their lot without being worked on. I hope they gave you a decent loaner car to use.

DieselDavid

Veteran Member
TDI
Yesterday I got my 2015 Passat TDI SE 6-speed back with the recall completed. According to the receipt they also changed the oil, oil filter, and drain bolt with washer - but they also charged $49.95 for "shop supplies/environmental chg" and said that wasn't covered by the recall. So the free oil change wasn't really free after all. The oil level was low by half a liter, and the oil I wiped off the dipstick wasn't super dirty so they must have changed it. I topped off the oil no worries. I know it is early but so far the only thing I have noticed different with my car is the radiator cooling fan runs more frequently. I haven't looked under the car yet...

My car was not washed, the fuel tank was not refilled, and the DEF tank was not topped off. I thought I read somewhere those things were going to happen. No big deal. At home a bit more than 3 half-gallons of DEF were needed to top off the DEF tank, and today here it started raining which will last through the weekend.

The free loaner was a 2019 Chevrolet Malibu, pronounced "ma-LEE-boo." I always thought it was pronounced "MAL-lab-boo" LOL. The heated seats, LED interior lighting, their version of "Kessy," and tire pressure readings in the color "MFD" were all nice. The engine auto-stop/auto-start was okay just something I was not used to. The ride was pretty smooth. But there was an intermittent issue with the ABS or traction control system which sometimes made the whole car shake wildly when stepping on the accelerator, and rob the engine of serious power and cut into the fuel economy. So for the most part I parked the loaner car and just drove my 2005.5 Jetta TDI instead. I returned the Malibu loaner with a full tank of gasoline hassle-free.

VW and Chase Bank are moving fairly quickly with the last one-third of the settlement direct deposit. Once that happens this saga will have ended. So far I am still glad we kept our car rather than doing the buy-back.

Grady

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta
DD, when you complete your VW Customer Survey, put these findings in your comments and request to be contacted by VW. You should receive an e-mail from the Father-Land within a couple of days.

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
On the survey, if you plan to not give them 10s, tell the dealer about it and give them a chance to make it right before you do it. That can directly cost employees thousands of dollars in bonuses, and it might be because of policies from the general manager rather than what the employees would like to do.

If they still don't help, feel free to blast them.

peq

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI S 6M
I got the fix for my 2015 GSW TDI S 6M.

When I was picking the car the oil had not been changed so I explicitly asked about it and showed them a printout like other people here did. I was only asked if I bought the car new (yes) and they changed the oil for free.
The car runs very well, I like it.
I'm providing an itemized list below. Please let me know if it all looks good or if there's a problem that I may be missing.
J#1 00VWZ24 *27 POINT INSPECTION
QAULITY VEHICLE INSPECTION VW SERVICE STORE COMPLETELY FILLED OUT COMPLETED
J#2 04VWZ23Y8 Emission Mod 2.0 TDI
23Y8 RECALL 2.0L TDI Engine (GEN 3 - Phase 2 A & B) EMISSION
S MOD OPEN IN ELSA
23Y8 RECALL
PERFORM CAMPAIGN 23Y8, INSTALLED KITS 2A/2B, ECM UP DATES
PARTS------QTY---FP-NUMBER-------------DESCRIPTION-----------
JOB #2 1 1KO-298-101-D CONV. KIT
JOB #2 1 5QO-253-301-H PIPE
JOB #2 1 1KO-298-101-GX CONV. KIT
JOB #2 1 1KO-298-201 GASKET SET
JOB #2 1 G-013-A87-S0 COOL.ADD.
JOB #2 -1 1KO-298-101-GX CORE RETURN
JOB #2 1 G-013-A8J-1G COOL.ADD.
JOB #2 1 N-907-611-03 NUT
JOB #2 1 N-908-159-03 WASHER
J#3 00VWZDAGWASH D.A.G WASH
DAG WASH AND VACUUM
COMPLETE WASH AND VACUUM
J#4 4+00VWZOOEXPRESS SYNTHETIC OIL CHANGE
CUSTOMER REQUESTS OIL AND FILTER CHANGE
4 CY
PREVENTICE MAINTENANCE
2005 VEHICLES REQUIRE SYNTHETIC OIL ONLY
PERFORMED OIL AND FILTER CHANGE
4 CY
PARTS------QTY---FP-NUMBER-------------DESCRIPTION-----------
JOB #4 1 PKCRUA OIL 10K
JOB #4 1 N-908-132-02 SCREW
JOB #4 1 03N-115-562 FILTERELEM
JOB #4 1 GUS-052-910-A3 UREA
JOB #4 1 B17055 WASHERFLUI
JOB #4 6 G-052-192-1Q ENG.OIL

Last edited:

DieselDavid

Veteran Member
TDI
Things sort of worked out. The $49.95 "shop supplies/environmental chg" was given back to me, but as a credit which will get applied the next time any service is done.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
So I never put my car in the garage, but I started to the last week or two, because it's been raining a lot. I been noticing small amounts of oil stains in my garage. I thought it was my wife's Q7 TDI, because we only put it in the garage. Anytime she leaves or I get home, I never notice stains.

Today I know there were no stains in the garage in the morning, because I had cleaned it all out a day or two prior. When I got home I parked my car in the garage (wife working) because it was raining. I stayed for a little, then left to pick up my girls and take them to gymnastics. When I got home I parked the car outside like I normally do, and as soon as I walked in the garage I noticed 2 small oil stains.

My car never leaked oil that I know of till my last visit with the dealer when they done phase 2 and changed my oil (that I paid for). They said my next one is on the house, and I have emails confirming that, but that's another story. I'm going to call them tomorrow to explain the situation and ask them if they'll look at it. I'd look at it now, but it's raining, so I can't.

The stains are very, very small, but still, the car is leaking oil somewhere. I most likely don't have proof that it's their fault, since phase 2 was done back in early November, and that was about 4k miles ago. My car has been working flawlessly, so hopefully it's nothing major.

unique_name

TDI
2012 jetta 6sp (sold back with 151k miles) 2015 jetta sel 6sp (purchased with 15k miles)
scheduled my gen3 phase 2 last week and took it in today. just got a call that they are pretty much finished. they will call tomorrow for me to pick it up. hoping its all good. they gave me a rental, a nissan versa. holy crap, i drove 2 dodge neons for a combined 500,00 miles and would take either one in its final days over this thing. i swear i hear clown music every time i start it.

yurkin89

TDI
2015 GSW TDI x2
Got my phase 2 done. 2015 GSW, drives like its got a sock in its mouth. Very noticeable decrease of power. Use to be able to pick up a little bit of smoke from start, nothing now.
The fender well has few missing screws, the usual sloppy work by the dealership. Maybe they would care more if they were charging me.

elcid86

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
I have owned my '15 TDI for about 14 months and was told I didn't qualify for $$s (I figured the PO must have gotten the payment). I just called the dealership in Fredericksburg, VA and they looked up my VIN and said I do need phase 2 done and it needs to be done by 12/31. She asked me to drop it tonight so they could start work on it tomorrow. I asked what needed to be done and she said she wasn't sure but thought some parts needed to be replaced and computer updated (not very confidence boosting...). We shall see...

Oh, and this dealer no longer provides loaners, only rentals :(

Last edited:

elcid86

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
Got my car done today. No wash or fuel top off (assume no DEF). No sign of an oil change (I did ask when I dropped it and service rep said she didn’t think it was included). I can’t tell that the DPF was done based on receipt (I have 113k on the car).

Updated EPA sticker

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Why do you guys not have the settlement paper in your hands and ensure that the things that are supposed to be done are done? Why haven't you talked to someone there that can show and explain what was done? I don't really understand this pick up and leave without checking anything or getting a clear answer about the short comings. Much less why it all wasn't discussed pre drop off and agreed what was to be done.

Graham Line

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Golf TDI 6M
Oil stains

Oil stains mentioned up in #79 could be the result of the oil changer pouring the contents of the filter into the splash pan/stone shield under the engine. At least, that's what they did with mine.