Side effect of settlement: Used TDIs worth a lot more?

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
So anyone who purchases a used TDI from a VW dealer after June 28th is not elligble for emmisions fix or buyback?
More accurately, anyone who buys a used TDI from a VW dealer, that the VW dealer owned on (not after, on) 6/28, may not be eligible for the buyback or the cash incentive to do the fix.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
FWIW, VW dealers were allowed to sell used TDIs up until June 28.
I can't speak to what is or was allowed, but I know that at least one VW dealer sold at least one used TDI after 6/28, too, and I'm pretty sure that isn't the only one.

dmanb2b

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2011 335D
Not sure. I'm reading conflicting info on that. And I wrote "dealer," not "VW dealer." However, I've seen TDIs advertised for sale from VW dealers. Hard to tell if they're legit or ads that just haven't been taken down. FWIW, VW dealers were allowed to sell used TDIs up until June 28. Just not CPO.
Agree, very confusing, just trying to figure all this out. I have a deposit down on a 2014 TDI from VW dealer and not sure if I should buy it or not. The price is very fair...ugh.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Interesting point. So anyone who purchases a used TDI from a VW dealer after June 28th is not elligble for emmisions fix or buyback? Why is VW allowing VW dealers to continue selling TDIs, post 6/28?
Dealers can sell used TDIs

generally speaking at a good (or better) price.

wmichaelis

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta SE TDI
Agree, very confusing, just trying to figure all this out. I have a deposit down on a 2014 TDI from VW dealer and not sure if I should buy it or not. The price is very fair...ugh.
From a common stance standpoint, VW is subject to be fined for every vehicle that it doesn't remediate, whether via buyback or repair. I would think they'd want to fix it or buy it back, but it's probably best left to a lawyer to decode whether or not your eligible for anything, and if so, how much.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I also think that a lot could change from now until this finally rolls out. Payout amounts, discounts for condition/repairs needed, changes in how restitution is calculated...buying anything now to sell back is a gamble. I've been looking casually, but only for a vehicle I'd want to keep. I'd be happy with getting a CR at a low price regardless of whether or not I get an payback from VW.

dmanb2b

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2011 335D
I also think that a lot could change from now until this finally rolls out. Payout amounts, discounts for condition/repairs needed, changes in how restitution is calculated...buying anything now to sell back is a gamble. I've been looking casually, but only for a vehicle I'd want to keep. I'd be happy with getting a CR at a low price regardless of whether or not I get an payback from VW.
That is exactly my thought, but would still be nice to know.

The CR I am looking at is a 2014 Jetta Prem with Nav & DSG. Car sold new for at least $25-27K and now with just over 58K miles on it and impeccable service records for just $12.5K

Same car I currently drive, but two years newer and 20k less miles. Not really sure if it is much of a gamble...worst case if I can't regester it in NY in 2yrs (not eligible for fix or buyback) I'd bet id still get decent private resale from someone in a state without emmissions testring.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver

Same 'o same 'o

The rough condition car owners vs the clean condition car owners.

:eek::rolleyes::confused:;):D:mad:

jables

TDI
B5.5 Passat
It seems like yes, but careful reading of the settlement suggests that a car purchased on or after 6/28 and that was in inventory at a VW dealer on 6/28 (even if purchased later from somebody else) is ineligible for any buyback, repair or compensation because it wouldn't be an "Eligible Vehicle".
Why would a vehicle purchased from a dealer after 6/28 not qualify?

I checked the vin of a vehicle at a vw dealer i'm thinking of purchasing and its showing it is eligible.

Last edited:

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
Why would a vehicle purchased from a dealer after 6/28 not qualify?
The definition of Eligible Vehicle requires that the car be registered with the DMV (or local equivalent), or held by bill of sale by a non-VW dealer, "as of" 6/28/16. If "as of" means "on", as it usually does, that would mean that a car owned as inventory by a VW dealer on 6/28 would not be an Eligible Vehicle. There's no logical reason for this that I can see--a car traded in to a VW dealer after 6/28 and then sold is still eligible, as is one sold by the VW dealer before 6/28, and one owned and sold by a non-VW dealer on any date--but that's the meaning that best fits how the words are usually used.

However, "as of" can also be interpreted as "on or before" or "by". With that meaning, this part of the definition operates to exclude new TDIs that hadn't been sold (at all, ever) by 6/28. This is a less common reading of "as of", but the result makes much more sense.

grimmrimmer

TDI
2013 Golf TDI
However, "as of" can also be interpreted as "on or before" or "by". With that meaning, this part of the definition operates to exclude new TDIs that hadn't been sold (at all, ever) by 6/28. This is a less common reading of "as of", but the result makes much more sense.
I think this intent is probably correct. As you say, it makes zero sense otherwise and common sense should prevail. Here's a note from the Preliminary Approval the other day that helps back this up:

The proposed Settlement Class consists of a nationwide class of all persons (including individuals and entities) who, on September 18, 2015, were registered owners or lessees of, or, in the case of Non-Volkswagen Dealers, held title to or held by bill of sale dated on or before September 18, 2015, a Volkswagen or Audi 2.0-liter TDI vehicle in the United States or its territories (an “Eligible Vehicle”), or who, between September 18, 2015, and the end of the Claim Period, become a registered owner of, or, in the case of Non-Volkswagen Dealers, hold title to or hold by bill of sale dated after September 18, 2015, but before the end of the Claims Period, an Eligible Vehicle in the United States or its territories.
After that, it references the eligible vehicle spiel in the settlement docs, but the intention is fairly clear. I believe this is just a small blurb to allow non-VW dealers to get a piece of the pie and to prevent VM dealers from participating in the settlement.

Oddly enough, I recently tried to get a TDI from my local CarMax, but they wouldn't sell it to me based on the fact that there was a "recall" which doesn't make any sense to not sell it as their are often recalls. My suspicion is that they just wanted to sell it back themselves and get paid a hefty chunk from VW... I'm sure that it's well more than what they could have gotten by selling it themselves.

jables

TDI
B5.5 Passat
At the dealer now. They took a jetta sport wagon on trade June 20.
Would I be considered an eligible owner if I buy it today?

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
Are they a VW dealer? If no, no problem, you'd be an eligible owner and the car would be an eligible vehicle. If they are a VW dealer, I'd say you're probably OK, but see the discussion above. It isn't clear.

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB, 2003 NB, 2006 Touareg, 2015 Jetta, 2013 Beetle, 2013 Touareg
The definition of Eligible Vehicle requires that the car be registered with the DMV (or local equivalent), or held by bill of sale by a non-VW dealer, "as of" 6/28/16. If "as of" means "on", as it usually does, that would mean that a car owned as inventory by a VW dealer on 6/28 would not be an Eligible Vehicle. There's no logical reason for this that I can see--a car traded in to a VW dealer after 6/28 and then sold is still eligible, as is one sold by the VW dealer before 6/28, and one owned and sold by a non-VW dealer on any date--but that's the meaning that best fits how the words are usually used.

The "as-of" impacts how much VW has to pay out. If the car was on the VW lot, and you took it off the lot for less than the buyback price, they are basically giving money away, or more to the point, the dealer may be inclined to cut sweetheart deals on the cars, thus making money off them, when the dealers are explicitly excluded from the settlement. The only way to prevent that is to blacklist cars on VW lots.

jables

TDI
B5.5 Passat
Are they a VW dealer? If no, no problem, you'd be an eligible owner and the car would be an eligible vehicle. If they are a VW dealer, I'd say you're probably OK, but see the discussion above. It isn't clear.
Actually the Vehicle was at a sister dodge / jeep dealer so i completed the sale there just to make sure i wouldn't run into any issues.
paid 12500 plus ttl buyback amount should be ~22k

*fingers crossed*

TDI
Golf
So is there a definitive consensus yet on whether a TDI purchased from a VW dealer after 6/28 but held in their inventory on June 28th qualifies?

TDIsaver

TDI
Multiple
This troll is posting the same nonsense over and over on 3 different threads in the last 10 minutes
He might be a troll. But he is right that many VW dealers are/were saying, incorrectly, that you are not eligible if you buy after 6/28.

I talked to several dealers back in July and August and they were all clueless. Several salesmen and the used car manager at my local VW dealer told me i would not be eligible if i bought their used TDI wagon they were selling on their used car lot. I asked him if he read the settlement agreement and he said no. hahahaha. I was like, what do you do all day? No time to read the agreement? This is what you do for a living!

I passed on the car because it was priced near buyback +50% restitution (so somebody was in the know). Maybe had 2K profit potential after tax. And that was when the restitution % was not known to be 100% for post-6/28 buyers.

Bottom line..... most dealers are idiots and you can't trust anything they say.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
You asking about TDI values? If so, yes, I have thoughts. Values are falling. The flood of reasonably priced fixed cars coming on the market is driving prices down, a lot. If you want more TDIs in the fleet, that's good news. If you have one you want to sell, not so much.

2011JettaSW

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
Newbie here w/ "new" 2011 Jetta SW

Thought I'd chime. Recently joined this great TDI resource because I bought a used/fixed 2011 Jetta SW last week from a non-VW dealer. It's an extra car for us. Empty nesters...

Body in excellent condition, 80k miles, good service records on carfax by local dealer. New tires, battery, and detailed.

$8.7k. The dealer had 4 to pick from, all very similar, and couple of Audi's as well.

I think the TDI prices are very reasonable for the car you get. My kids who were visiting for Xmas all want the car. :)