www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old December 31st, 2018, 13:15   #16
Alchemist
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '04 ALH Golf

After comparing the Auto Zone and Mitchell drawings, I have determined that they are the same, just organized differently.

Your diagram will work as drawn.

Since you are concerned about not fusing the line to the charge relay it could be modified to do this. Just take the Yellow wire from the charge lamp and connect it to the VW alternator Blue wire before Fuse 7. The top of Fuse 7 would then remain connected to the ignition switch, and the bottom of Fuse 7 would go to the Charge Relay.

When wired this way, the fuel pump will run when the key is on, even if the engine is not running. This wouldn't be a problem unless you had an accident where the fuel system was damaged and the pump continued running, pouring fuel out.

Equipped with VCDS and a hoist in a heated shop.
I was told I have every tool known to man.
Alchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2019, 20:24   #17
superhl
Veteran Member

I wired the yellow/white to Blue/White. Now when I turn on the ignition switch, I hear the charge relay come on. However, the fan still is not working. I need to test the fan switch for current. Not easily accessible. Will attempt this weekend. I can remove the charge relay fuse (5) and the fuel pump continues to receive current. So charge relay has no control over the fuel pump. The schematic above show a white wire that feeds the fuel relay. Correct?
superhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2019, 07:46   #18
Alchemist
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '04 ALH Golf

For reference purposes, and to avoid confusion, there is a convention used in wiring. The first colour is the basic one and the second is the stripe. Black/Red would be a black wire with a red stripe, while Red/Black would be a red wire with a black stripe.

I am assuming you connected the White/Yellow and White/Blue wires to supply the charge relay with switched 12V. This should activate the Heater relay and supply power to fuse 7B.

The blower motor Blue/Black wire is grounded through the resistor pack and speed selector switch. Grounding this wire will prove the motor works and point to the switch or resistor as the cause.

The fuel pump relay is operated by the White wire from the Charge Relay through fuse 6 and the White/Red wire on the diodes, or the Yellow wire which comes in on the left from some other source. Or is that fuse 5A? It is hard for me to make out the print on that part of the diagram. The other source may be what is keeping the fuel pump running.

Equipped with VCDS and a hoist in a heated shop.
I was told I have every tool known to man.
Alchemist is offline   Reply With Quote