Kerma now has DSG tune for MQB Golfs and Wagons

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Would love to get the DSG tune until the emmissions warranty runs out then get the ECU tune and off road package. I think with a DSG tune a guy could really enjoy the car without changing emissions on goings in the ECU.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
Would love to get the DSG tune until the emmissions warranty runs out then get the ECU tune and off road package. I think with a DSG tune a guy could really enjoy the car without changing emissions on goings in the ECU.

If the car didn’t have paddle shifters, I’d agree. As it is it seems unnecessary to me.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
DSG controller is different than the ECU, the ECU isn't touched for a DSG flash.

With that said I'd wager if VW wanted to they could determine a non stock DSG flash is installed and deny DSG related warranty work.

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
If the car didn’t have paddle shifters, I’d agree. As it is it seems unnecessary to me.
what do the paddle shifters have to do with it?

i have Kerma stage 2, which is great. but of course i'm tempted by the DSG tune (and some new rubber!)

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
what do the paddle shifters have to do with it?

i have Kerma stage 2, which is great. but of course i'm tempted by the DSG tune (and some new rubber!)

I would prefer driving in manual mode with the paddle shifters to any DSG mode, regular, sport, or super duper tuned. The only times I take my TDI’s out of manual mode is going 75 for long stretches on the interstate, or at tollbooths or in other bumper to bumper situations when manual mode is pointless. A DSG tune would also be pointless in those conditions.

As to your opening question, I’m surprised you asked it. Paddle shifters change gears, no? The DSG also changes the gears, yes? The driver picks one mode or the other mode in order to move the car anywhere, correct? Do you really not understand why I said if the vehicle didn’t have paddle shifters, I would be more interested in a DSG tune?

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I just changed my steering wheel from standard to one with paddle shifters. I did not do it because I like to shift myself, I think the tranny does a better job than I can. But there are situations when I want to override the DSG. I have the Malone DSG tune and now I can see what gear the DSG chooses. It will shift down to a lower gear on some not so steep grades where I know it can really stay in the higher gear and I want to be able to do that. Yes I can do it with the console shifter, but I've had it happen twice when I forgot that I was in "D" and moved the shifter to neutral, scared the hell out of me. Also the large city I live in with much stop and go traffic I prefer to do my own shifting to let me use engine braking. I also drive on some fairly steep mountains twice yearly and there I want to be able to shift up or down quickly myself at my choosing.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Tune is on order. Its a Malone cause this time next year my car is gona be losing some weight and waving good bye to stupid regens.

dutch.mafia

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Tune is on order. Its a Malone cause this time next year my car is gona be losing some weight and waving good bye to stupid regens.

Do you think the DSG tune will really do much in a MK7? I thought the issues/benefits seemed to be more from the previous Gen. DSG cars. I’ve contemplated one as well. Just cant decide if it’s worth the money.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
If it's a choice between the two, a Malone DSG tune, IMO, is the one to get over the engine tune. I appreciate the DSG tune EVERY time I drive, whereas, how many times would I need/feel the 170-instead-of-150hp?

Oh - and it's really, really good. It shifts pretty much exactly where I'd be shifting just about every single time, whether driving through town, passing on the freeway, or having to merge.

Last edited:

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Im hoping the sluggish take offs from a stop will be improved. In fast traffic the car is damn near dangerous when trying to merge in a hurry.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Wait this wont be picked up on a dealer flash count? That is interesting to hear... Makes the idea more tempting... I have noticed that at times I am not happy with how the DSG shifts, mainly on pulling hills and holding rpms high which can kinda sorta feel like the power level drops off.

Also at times keeping rpms too low lugging the motor in some traffic settings.

I am surprised I am not seeing more people comment on how first gear in these cars are crazy useless, anything over 5mph and the car rides the clutch in 2nd gear.. I am sure there is some reason it was geared like this from the factory, but to me its laughable. If it rides the clutch so hard, why not elongate 1st gear, and rearange the rest of the gears to get better MPG on the highway like the manual cars do? Okay rant over lol.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Given that the DSG tune is writing to a completely different ECU (as far as I'm aware), I would think that a DSG tune would not get "noticed" by dealer flash tools. But then again...?

Probably best to ask Malone or Kerma.

But yeah - the thing that drove me to the tune was the constant desire of the car to upshift. I'd be driving around town at 35mph at 1100rpm. Just...ugh!

dutch.mafia

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
As far as I’m aware I thought the extended warranty said it did not cover anything transmission related. So it should in theory not matter. But I guess if they can find anything to deny warranty claims they will.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
some people are still under their original power train warranty 5yr - 60K such as us (well minus that malone thingy ;))

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
Also at times keeping rpms too low lugging the motor in some traffic settings.
Putting it in sport mode gets the RPMs a little higher in traffic.

Do you have the Phase 2 emissions software? That seemed to improve the DSG a little.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Putting it in sport mode gets the RPMs a little higher in traffic.

Do you have the Phase 2 emissions software? That seemed to improve the DSG a little.

Yes I have phase 2 done on my gsw. And yeah I’ve noticed sport does, but on the flip side then sport also holds rpm at times awkwardly long then I almost feel like it should have shifted. Maybe an in between between drive and sport is really what I’m looking for?lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
...and yeah I’ve noticed sport does, but on the flip side then sport also holds rpm at times awkwardly long then I almost feel like it should have shifted.

Maybe an in between between drive and sport is really what I’m looking for?lol
That was exactly my feeling, too. And that's what Malone's DSG tune delivered for me, only better. Like, it seems to take into account a lot more/better than stock tune how much throttle your applying, so if you're accelerating hard, it'll rev a bit higher before shifting, but if you're light on the pedal, it shifts earlier.

Like I said, it matches pretty much spot-on where/when I'd be shifting in pretty much every situation.

Last edited:

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
That was exactly my feeling, too. And that's what Malone's DSG tune delivered for me, only better. Like, it seems to take into account a lot more/better than stock tune how much throttle your applying, so if you're accelerating hard, it'll rev a bit higher before shifting, but if you're light on the pedal, it shifts earlier.

Like, I said, it matches pretty much spot-on where/when I'd be shifting in pretty much every situation.

This is the kinda info I like to hear my friend. I’ll have to give it some thought in that case...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Finally got the DSG tune done from Malone. Car is immensely more driveable. Ive only had the tune for half a day but over that 100 miles the car is completely different. No longer do I have to worry about pulling out in traffic. The takeoff delay is GONE. Accelerating threw traffic used to be lug lug lug as you press the accelerator further down and nothing happens till all the sudden it down shifts two gears and smokes the tires GONE. The car now down shifts 1 gear as it should and accelerates instantly. The DSG behaves more like a standard slush box as far as being in the correct gear with no more notchy shifts at that take the rpms from 1500 down to 1100 rpm. The car seems to stay in the 1500 rpm range during normal crusing and 1700ish to 2700ish range while accelerating. Obviously if the acceleration is more aggressive so will be the rpms. The car no longer pisses me off when i drive it. I used to go from D to S to M all the time to get this car to behave in the same manner that Malone has done with this tune. I just put it in D and forget it. The DSG now knows what its doing. I couldnt be happier. Thank you Malone Tuning and TuneMyEuro.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yep - totally in line with my experience as well. :D

Curious: Does your gear indicator show the gear you're in (like D1, D2, D3 - similar to the M1, M2, etc.- as it goes through the gears), or does it still only show "D" and "S" when you're not in the manual shifting mode?

brew1

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI
Kerma Stage 2 here. I'm hearing that the Malone DSG tune is a happy medium between regular mode and sport mode. How does the DSG tune feel in combination with sport mode?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I wouldn't characterize the Malone DSG tune so much as a "happy medium", but more "fixes the shift points" - it shifts when I would shift. And in Sport mode, it shifts when I'd shift when I want to drive at higher revs.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
I wouldn't characterize the Malone DSG tune so much as a "happy medium", but more "fixes the shift points" - it shifts when I would shift. And in Sport mode, it shifts when I'd shift when I want to drive at higher revs.
Id agree with this. It keeps the car in a better more workable rev range. In sport mode I think its even better because now itll rev higher than D but will actually shift before red line. The biggest improvement is the slow take off is completely fixed. There is still a pot hole during the 2nd to 3rd gear shift and is more noticeable in sport.