www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Sightings

Sightings Saw a special TDI. Trying to find out if that TDI you saw was a club member. Or have some other sighting that might interest club members. Post it here.

Old October 27th, 2016, 09:54   #16
MarsBar
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: B4V - 37 combined; ALH - 53 best highway so far

If they're stuck "in port", that sounds like they haven't finished the importation process and could still be sent elsewhere.
MarsBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2016, 11:07   #17
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
Except that the only ways they're leaving the country are either fixed, or scrunched up into little bales of scrap metal.
That may be correct, I haven't read the documentation, but it's illogical to think that if this is the case that these vehicles will be anything other than scrap after they're taken back. Financially it's too expensive to fix / refit these to be complaint, I would expect them to all go away one way or another.

I will say though that if VW anticipated exporting all of the cars repurchased it seems excessive for the EPA to mandate that they be US complaint before they depart for another location. They might already be complaint depending on where they're going or the new destination might not care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsBar View Post
If they're stuck "in port", that sounds like they haven't finished the importation process and could still be sent elsewhere.
This may be true for the new ones that weren't allowed in to the US. I would have thought that the first sign of trouble about this that VW would have loaded them back up and sent them elsewhere, but apparently that didn't happen.

Steve

You didn't poison the coffee, did you? Not anymore than I usually do.
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2016, 12:24   #18
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Since these cars are on US soil, they have to comply with US regulations before they can go anywhere. That's why VW couldn't just throw them back on the ship. In addition to the emissions needing to be complaint with both EPA and the receiving country, the saftey requirements can be (probably are) different. This could be a much more expensive under taking than reprogramming the ECUs on these cars. Remember, these are all 15 (and possibly a few 16s) and the speculation is that these will need an ECU tweak to start with and then another adjustment later.
Old October 28th, 2016, 15:12   #19
drucifer
Veteran Member

I work part time at a national auto auction. At the specific auction I work at there are at least 1600 vw cars being stored. I believe they are '15 & '16 gas and diesel cars. Again only storing. There are 90 plus auction locations.

Last edited by drucifer; October 28th, 2016 at 16:17.
drucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2016, 09:24   #20
MrSprdSheet
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '09 JSW TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johhny04 View Post
This I didn't know. I do agree with you, its a complete waste of resources......unless they (VW) already know that a fix is possible.
Is the definition of "destroy" going to be crushing, or just the 3 inch hole in the engine blocks?
MrSprdSheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2016, 20:09   #21
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSprdSheet View Post
Is the definition of "destroy" going to be crushing, or just the 3 inch hole in the engine blocks?
... and what would the difference be?

If there is a 3 inch hole in the engine block (and by the way, nothing in the consent decree requires them to do that! - it is the ECU and the DPF and the LNT that have to be rendered inoperative, not the engine itself) the rest of the car is headed for the recyclers.

There is nothing in the consent decree that stops VW from stripping and selling useful parts from these cars - just not the ECU and not any of the emission control components.

What will limit the usefulness of that course of action ... is the enormous oversupply of all non-engine-related parts that this would cause. It isn't cost-effective to strip and save ALL of the useful parts from ALL of the bought-back cars - most of them would end up never being bought anyhow.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2016, 10:23   #22
TDIMeister
Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI

What will VW do with TDI diesel buyback cars? It's not what you think

TDIMeister's German-imported 1998 Audi A4 Avant TDI quattro

Are you receiving unwelcome sales solicitations or inappropriate, harassing messages in your PM? You can report them by pressing the image on the top right of the message in a similar way as reporting inappropriate posts.
TDIMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2016, 15:39   #23
meerschm
Veteran Member

this story, with the speculated need for DEF system in the 2009-2014 cars with NSC, ignores the proposed fix for gen 1 cars outlined by VW in January, and described in the draft we saw in June.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/file/871306/download see page 92

this is consistent with video recently posted, lifted from Audi training sites.

(not "yet" approved, but consistent)

looking again at this, the detection of particulates from the DPFs that tend to crack is included....

Free advice: it is worth what you pay for it. (sometimes)

Last edited by meerschm; November 3rd, 2016 at 15:43.
meerschm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2018, 17:54   #24
Doc
Veteran Member

Last week I was at Quonset Point in Rhode Island and saw hundreds of VW diesels in a large fenced in lot. This area is a shipping and receiving port, as there were hundreds of new cars there also. My guess is that the diesels are to be shipped out.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2018, 06:00   #25
bbexotics
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51mpgs in 96 passat,41mpg in 2004 passat,42mpg in 2006 jetta

BS. They are selling them at Dealers Auction, two largest dealers Auctions being Manheim, and Adessa!!!!!!!!
bbexotics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2018, 08:40   #26
1854sailor
Resident Curmudgeon

Fuel Economy: Great!

Thousands at the marine terminal here in Baltimore being loaded on RORO ships...
Old January 1st, 2019, 08:00   #27
Ton
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42-51

Scrap iron prices are improving. A good scrap yard uses a crusher to flatten cars into pancakes.
Ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2019, 01:43   #28
2000alhVW
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2000 Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ton View Post
Scrap iron prices are improving. A good scrap yard uses a crusher to flatten cars into pancakes.
Literally worthless.

My local scrap yard is now paying 4 cents per pound for iron/steel.
You can bring a literal ton of steel in and walk away with $120.

Or...you can bring in about 50lb of copper for the same $$$.
Scrap iron is a joke.
2000alhVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2019, 19:55   #29
Ton
Veteran Member

I just met someone in Millbank, Ontario,Canada that makes his living cutting up old cars for scrap iron. It's not get rich scheme that's for sure.
Old January 3rd, 2019, 20:33   #30
Ton
Veteran Member

2000alh you are right about scrap metal being worthless. The problem with high scrap prices is that you have druggies pulling up man hole covers and selling them for scrap.