www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old December 28th, 2018, 18:43   #46
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
I suspect the EA288 turbos see similar egt's during regens. No doubt that elevated regen. temps stress the turbos. But, I'd bet that the majority of EA189 cars on the road with 150k+ miles(might not be that many here post dieselgate-yet) are sporting their factory turbos. Quite a few get replaced just because the actuator went bad.
Why would you assume that? With the DEF system regens might be less sever and damaging to the turbo. Also with the new EA288 design, VW has had a chance to tweak operating conditions that killed the EA189's turbo. No. The EA189 design should never have seen the light of day and a lot of people got shafted by it.
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Blue tint aspherical mirrors
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook
VCDS Hacks: DRL Disabled-Seatbelt Chime Disabled-Key fob Power Windows
Adjusted Cam to Crank Timing
Ol'Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2018, 18:57   #47
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Not me. My car was amazing for 175k miles and 7 years. No cams needed. Nothing needed actually, other than lube, filters, wipers, brake pads, 1 timing belt job, and tires. And today VW cut me a check for 15k. Plus the $1300 goodwill/Bosch money. Can't beat that!

Btw- the SCR system (DEF) is downstream of the DPF and accomplishes a completely different task. I'm sure the regens are every bit as toasty. The turbo is different though, and could well be more up to the task.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2018, 19:27   #48
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

We have more than a few customers with CJAA TDIs with well over 200K on the clock and original turbos.
Old December 28th, 2018, 22:38   #49
nectarguru
Veteran Member

Quote:
Not me. My car was amazing for 175k miles and 7 years. No cams needed. Nothing needed actually, other than lube, filters, wipers, brake pads, 1 timing belt job, and tires. And today VW cut me a check for 15k. Plus the $1300 goodwill/Bosch money. Can't beat that!

Btw- the SCR system (DEF) is downstream of the DPF and accomplishes a completely different task. I'm sure the regens are every bit as toasty. The turbo is different though, and could well be more up to the task.
$15k for 175k miles on a 7 year old car?? That's amazing!! I bought my MK7 fresh in June 2015 with only 8 miles on the clock, 10k when the scandal broke two months later, and I was only offered $13k. They countered with a very generous extended warranty and a so-so restitution check, but still, I can't help but roll my eyes at VW. More reason for me to bail after this Golf runs its course.
Old December 29th, 2018, 12:38   #50
bizzle
Veteran Member

Quote:
I don't think it's accurate to understand one part of it, like SCR, as a "completely different task" from the rest of the engineered system because emissions controls are engineered as a complete system from air nozzle opening all the way to the tail pipe.

At a basic level, cleaning up right before the tailpipe means everything in front of the SCR system doesn't have to work as hard. For example, increased use of SCR means decreased use of EGR. Also, more SCR allows for more NOx during combustion, which allows for more passive regeneration of the DPF (rather than active, which is when the turbo, etc. take the hardest beating).
bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2018, 12:59   #51
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nectarguru View Post
$15k for 175k miles on a 7 year old car?? That's amazing!! I bought my MK7 fresh in June 2015 with only 8 miles on the clock, 10k when the scandal broke two months later, and I was only offered $13k. They countered with a very generous extended warranty and a so-so restitution check, but still, I can't help but roll my eyes at VW. More reason for me to bail after this Golf runs its course.
Close to 8 years now that I think of it. It served me well. Kinda sad to see it go, but I have to remind myself that it was just a car. I'm seeing the fixed ones around for dirt cheap now, so I may not be done with tdi's just yet. Of course my truck decided to blow a brake caliper a couple of hours after returning my car. I guess that's just part of the joy of owning an old truck in the rust belt.

Last edited by turbobrick240; December 29th, 2018 at 13:01.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2019, 10:40   #52
JeffsSportWagen

Count me in as a new TDI enthusiast... although I've long been a TDI fan. I just never was able to justify the premium the TDI always commanded.

With increasing pressure from the Mrs to replace my beloved '09 Mazda 6 (a wholly brilliant automobile) I had been expecting to replace it with a newer Mazda 6. But I also had my eye on the Mk7 Sportwagen. Then at the end of April 2017, I took the opportunity to test drive a Platinum Gray '16 Sportwagen TSI. I was hooked! (my stepson ended up buying that GSW a few days later)

I became obsessed with finding a Blue GSW with a clean history in my $12-14k price range. With all of the TDIs being bought back, I was sure I had missed any chance of ever owning a TDI.

Then in November of 2017 I found my first post DG GSW TDI in Orlando and we went to go look at it. It had very obvious collision repairs and I wouldn't even drive it. But I told the Mrs on the way home that if I found a suitable Blue GSW TDI we would go get it and bring it home.

A few weeks later my patience would be rewarded. In December I found a GSW S TDI 165 miles away in Miami. Clean history, Night Blue, with 40k miles for $12,999. It was perfect, still smelled new and even had a hitch on it. I bought it within hours of them putting into their inventory.

A full year later with about 55k miles on it now, I luv everything about it... even pulling up to the diesel pumps. I'm also a huge fan of the availability of parts from other models across the platform as well as the large following of aftermarket support. (things the Mazda lacked severely)

For now I'm all in for the extended factory warranty, but I am well aware for the potential for modifications... so time (and budget) will tell.

Oddly enough I credit the DG fiasco for my having been able to buy this car, had it not been for the very meaningful way DG impacted resale values.

"I have a car-sickness. I need to be checked into the HENRY Ford Clinic." -Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor
JeffsSportWagen is offline   Reply With Quote