www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General VW Discussion

General VW Discussion This is a place for General VW topics (the company, not your vehicle). General topics about a specific vehicle should be posted in the General TDI Dicussion Forum sections for that vehicle platform. A4, A3 & B4, B5, etc.

Old May 16th, 2020, 12:59   #1
gmcjetpilot
Veteran Member

Default USED Values are insainly LOW

WHAT THE HECK Happened to use price values last 2 years? Does anyone know what happened in last 2 years? I think it's BS.

I have not looked at value in a few years. The value of my 2010 TDI Sportwagen with 115,000 miles, very good to excellent condition is $3000 to $6000. Ha ha why.

Not that it matters my engine is a 2013 with 65,000 miles (long story). I looked at the Kelly blue book on a 2013 TDI JSW and it was still low. NADA gave slightly higher values than Kelly. That is insainly low.

Needless to say I'm keeping my VW (still under emission mod warranty for 2 years) is I excellent condition and drives perfect. $6000? I would not sell it for $12,000, but would not sell it period.

Last edited by gmcjetpilot; May 16th, 2020 at 13:04.
gmcjetpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2020, 13:19   #2
TLH_TDI
Veteran Member

Default USED Values are insainly LOW

No, you canít trust those car buying guides for diesel vehicles. They donít give much consideration for the Diesel engine over the gasoline, and may have down graded them because of diesel gate. Beauty is in the eye of the owner or the one who knows the value and wants one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TLH_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2020, 15:22   #3
turbocharged798
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-50mpg

Dieselgate, cheap fuel prices, Americans leaving cars in favor of SUVs, and coronavirus are all culminating to make TDI prices absolutely tank. Great time to buy one, no so great to sell.
Old May 16th, 2020, 15:29   #4
DivineChaos
Veteran Member

my 12 jsw tdi dsg, nav, pano, 17 wheels, 80k. i paid 10k out the door. dieselgate ruined the prices of them.
DivineChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2020, 19:10   #5
2.2TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbocharged798 View Post
Dieselgate, cheap fuel prices, Americans leaving cars in favor of SUVs, and coronavirus are all culminating to make TDI prices absolutely tank. Great time to buy one, no so great to sell.
This and 95% of people don't give a damn that diesels in North America are rare, it's only us diesel fanatics who can understand it... and personally, I still wouldn't pay more then 5000 for a 2010 with 115k, that's what they're worth
2.2TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2020, 08:47   #6
tikal
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)

Don't sell. Buy.
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2020, 09:36   #7
JesseTDI
Veteran Member

If you think the last 2 years are bad with about 6 more months. EVERY used car value is going to tank and TDI's will sink even lower. Cars coming in off lease, garbage tier sales numbers across the board until people get back to work and move out of the coronavirus shell-shocked phase, and massive incentives on new cars (only) like zero percent for 80+ months, massive "cash back allowances" to boost new car sales are all going to culminate in the perfect storm of super inflated used car inventories rotting on dealer lots that they cant even give away, and auction lots packed full of cars that dealers don't have room for. The good news (at least in the short term) is that you'll be able to find great deals on used vehicles of all types as sellers will be motivated to turn over units. The not so good news is you will get absolute bottom dollar offers on trade-ins I'm talking insultingly low offers here. The terrible news is that automakers and dealers are already lobbying for Cash-For-Clunkers v2.0 and if that happens get ready to see millions of decent (and crap) used vehicles literally scrapped overnight and wiped from the market. If you don't think VW in the United States won't use a second round of that program to get rid of most, if not all, of the remaining dieselgate cars that they have or can convince current owners to turn in then you are dreaming. It would be the perfect way to get rid of a standing liability and help stop some fiscal hemorrhaging (less dieselgate cars on the market less possible dieselgate warranty claims possible). Just a thought...
JesseTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2020, 20:16   #8
gearheadgrrrl
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Other than the JSW, hard as I try, can't seem tio get below 40 MPH!

Not many bargains in new cars, the automakers have borrowed billions so they can sit on their bloated inventories for months. And good luck buying online- I've been dickering on a Ford Transit Connect and while it might be possible to buy online, to get Ford's 0% financing you have to go into that sleazy little office in the dealership and let the finance guy yell at you for an hour or two. In the used market, Hertz is on the verge of bankruptcy yet their "no negotiation" prices on used rentals are still too high. A lot of CEOs in the auto biz think the economy will bounce back in a few months and refuse to cut in to their profit margins while their corporations bleed billions they borrowed at darn near 10% rates.