WTB 2003 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon 5-Spd Silver

nautica44

TDI
none yet
I know, right? :p It's like a broken record. Little did I know the car I wanted was going to skyrocket in demand while I was out of the country. Before the obvious retorts, I realize this is a hard(est) find, and I am searching almost nonstop on this and many other sources...this is just in case something misses my attention or I get a lucky hint. :D

I'm looking for a 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon with the following characteristics:
-5 speed (required)
-Silver (strongly preferred, but not absolute)
-In the 100~135k range
-GLS Trim, (or GL with heated seats...would kind of like leather, but don't really care that much...can live without sunroof/monsoon)

Obviously, a good service history is a huge plus. This is going to be my daily driver for many, many years to come. I live in middle Tennessee, but am willing to travel anywhere. I have plenty of time to travel in the next couple weeks and plenty of cash in hand. I'm realistic and willing to pay a fair current market value and ready to buy immediately once I find what I want.

I'm already looking as thoroughly I know how--along the lines of what's suggested in the "read this first"--but am always open to more suggestions.

Any help is much appreciated! I had a close encounter with buying a convertible Rabbit many years ago, but the deal fell through :( ...so now I look forward to entering the world of VW!

Thank you for reading and any tips/advice you might have!

-Keven

nautica44

TDI
none yet
Ha...yup. I made an offer on it. Declined. Wish I would have been a little more aggressive on that one!

**continues kicking self**

Last edited:

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Keep an eye on Autotrader(just do advance search w/ diesel engine and tdi diesel as keywords).Be prepared to put immediate deposit down on it-they are getting harder to find & more expensive w/ fuel prices where they are-

blownaway

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI (waiting for my 02M conversion) 99.5 TDI(totalled) 2002 gasser wagon, 2012 Golf
I couldn't even get one in 2002-2003 when they were brand new!!

nautica44

TDI
none yet
d-bob:

Thanks for the tip. I've been trying to watch it like a hawk when possible. I spoke with the place selling the one on there for $11,999. It's in great shape...they just replaced TB and WP, etc...good maint. history. He said he'd email me the Carfax today but didn't. Tires are at about 40% life and it's missing the cargo cover. Those are the only flaws (as far as I know). Perhaps trivial, but it's hard for me to justify paying 12k...slightly more than most I've seen...for something with slightly less than most I've seen...not to mention the cross-country trip. (They won't budge a penny on the price).

I would like to visit Seattle, though...haha.

JBjunior

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat Wagon/05 Passat Sedan/03 Jetta Wagon
d-bob:

Thanks for the tip. I've been trying to watch it like a hawk when possible. I spoke with the place selling the one on there for $11,999. It's in great shape...they just replaced TB and WP, etc...good maint. history. He said he'd email me the Carfax today but didn't. Tires are at about 40% life and it's missing the cargo cover. Those are the only flaws (as far as I know). Perhaps trivial, but it's hard for me to justify paying 12k...slightly more than most I've seen...for something with slightly less than most I've seen...not to mention the cross-country trip. (They won't budge a penny on the price).

I would like to visit Seattle, though...haha.
You're looking at ones from Green Car Company?

nautica44

TDI
none yet
Updates

Heads up to all looking...here are the results of my day:

This silver one that posted on CL today in Portland is going to sell tomorrow. Person drove it tonight and plans to pick it up tomorrow. This was exactly what I'm looking for, so major :(:(:( I can hope they back out, but yeah right. That's what I get for helping a buddy take out the transfer case on his Jeep after work...:eek:
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/2274810607.html

Moving on...

And the red one in PA on cars.com already has a deposit on it.

Tomorrow is another day....

JBjunior

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat Wagon/05 Passat Sedan/03 Jetta Wagon
I called to get the info on it. What's the word on them? Besides that they want dollars on top of top dollar...

But to actually answer your question: Yes.
I live in Alaska and will be be moving to the east coast in a couple of months. Buying from a place like them would be ideal for me because I will be going right through Seattle. Unfortunately after seeing some information about them on here it was mostly negative. They overhype all of their cars and there are a few threads on here where people paid top dollar for what should have been a top-notch car and then had issues shortly after. It was enough for me to shy away from them even though they are one of very few options in the area.

BTW: I am looking for a wagon also (have a thread, probably on the second page) but I am not specific at all and it is still hard to find one that meets my needs. By the time I spend $12,000 and then have to update all the maintenance I would probably be better off buying a new JSW and getting an extra 150,000 miles out of it.

Last edited:

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
There's also a place in Tennesee that usually has TDI's that they either list on ebay or autotrader-National Auto Warehouse.You could also try cars.com. Good luck in your quest:cool:......

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
My quick story, hope it doesn't bore y'all-
In 2002, I chose to commute ~ 100mi each way to work, so started looking to get rid of the Pontiac for something more fuel efficient. Decided on a TDI. What i really wanted was a TDI wagon. Early 2002, Birmingham AL or Atlanta GA and surrounding areas. Good luck. I managed to lay my eyes on ONE actual 2002 TDI wagon 5spd. It was red with camel interior. I really didn't want red. Turned out that didn't matter, because by the time I walked from the back of the lot (parking garage- big dealer in Atlanta) where they kept the cars, to the front sales showroom, that red TDI wagon was sold. So I ended up buying a 2002 silver Jetta sedan TDI 5-speed in March 2002, which I still own. 290K miles, continues to be a great car.

So, we grew to love the 02 Jetta Sedan TDI through the next several months of ownership. That would have been into early 2003. We used to enjoy kicking tires at the auto dealerships on weekends etc. So one weekend we were at a VW dealership in Birmingham AL. Asked the sales person what they had for TDIs. They only had one diesel Bug on the lot at the time, but he said let him check to see what they had on order. He came back out with a clipboard, and they had two TDI Wagon 5-speeds on order. One was silver GLS with grey leather interior. On a whim, we bought the car before it had been produced. Loved the leather interior and cruise control buttons on the steering wheel, and the extra storage room to accommodate the occasional TV box etc. in the back. As my signature says, I traded that car in at a dealership in GA in 2005 when I bought a Dodge Cummins truck. The TDI wagon had about 35K miles on the ODO at the time. The truck has been good, too. But I have never forgot about that wagon. There's more than a slight chance I will be looking for this same year / model car again in the used market. Good luck!

nautica44

TDI
none yet
Thank you, Corsair! It's definitely frustrating to find one these days...especially when none of them are anywhere near you. I have been a button click away from flying to Phoenix, Seattle, Maryland, San Diego, Wisconsin... Most have sold, a couple came up with a CARFAX surprise lien or accident history. But I'll keep on looking and keep my fingers crossed! :)