www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Old March 3rd, 2020, 12:36   #16
Daemon64
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Fuelly Average 27.9

Also just to add a little fire here... Watched this a few weeks ago. Quite funny, a few valid points. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLxPAwIeL0w
Daemon64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2020, 15:14   #17
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

It's looks as though VW has come to terms with the fact that they will be playing second fiddle to Tesla in the EV revolution.
https://thedriven-io.cdn.ampproject....-task-ahead%2F
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2020, 06:31   #18
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98002 View Post
I would get the Ram diesel in a heartbeat, but my wife has no intention of giving up her '05 1500 short bed V-6 (before they renamed them Ram, it's still a Dodge). No towing power, bad mileage, but it only has 40,000 miles, is almost spotless, and it's used so little there's no valid justification to replace it. I can't convince her to let me replace the radio with something that has Bluetooth. No power windows, seats or door locks, just the basic base model with carpet and the auto as the only options.
The truck I replaced was on 07 canyon with about 60k miles on it. 5 speed, no power anything except steering. For most of the five years I owned it, it was the third car and mostly used when I needed a truck. My problem was that I either had a short in the rear brake lights or my abs was going out. Everytime the cel popped up, the codes pointed to the abs. It was due for state inspection and the lit up cel is an automatic failure. We discussed options and the wife said let's get a new one. We are also talking about a travel trailer for retirement, so having the truck fist shortens the trailer models to look at.
Old March 5th, 2020, 08:57   #19
El Dobro
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 115 MPGe

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
It's looks as though VW has come to terms with the fact that they will be playing second fiddle to Tesla in the EV revolution.
https://thedriven-io.cdn.ampproject....-task-ahead%2F
As stated in the article, GM just had their EV day.
https://chargedevs.com/newswire/gm-s...attery-system/
Now, I drive more, worry less.
Penguin -The other white meat.
El Dobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2020, 09:59   #20
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dobro View Post
As stated in the article, GM just had their EV day.
https://chargedevs.com/newswire/gm-s...attery-system/
I hope GM makes it work. Ultium, Unobtainium, etc.- corporate buzzwords don't impress me a whole lot. They would be so much further along if they hadn't killed off the EV1 20 years ago. LG Chem on the other hand is a business I think I'd like to invest in.
Old March 8th, 2020, 01:07   #21
pkhoury
That guy with the goats

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
I hope GM makes it work. Ultium, Unobtainium, etc.- corporate buzzwords don't impress me a whole lot. They would be so much further along if they hadn't killed off the EV1 20 years ago. LG Chem on the other hand is a business I think I'd like to invest in.
The concept is cool, but I don't see it working for rural areas yet. And GM is definitely something else, and I don't mean that in a good way.
2013 JSW 02Q - Malone Stage 3, CR170, rawtek 3" straight pipe, PolarFIS, Panzer plate, front fogs, Bosal towhitch, Neuspeed 28mm swaybar, Sachs racing clutch, Peloquin LSD, dieselgeek shortshifter, CP3
2004 Golf GLS 02J - Malone Stage 4, VNT17, DC Stage 2 clutch, darkside 2.5" downpipe/intercooler/TIP MFA cluster swap
2003 Jetta GLS 01M - EGR cooler delete, Melett VNT17, Darkside SMIC. Future Ute/02J project
pkhoury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2020, 08:27   #22
johnsTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: oh gosh alot better than burning Gasoline.?

Daemon64
I will also put Teslas through the fire by saying they are not all perfect like there made to look like. they do have draw backs just to name one of them is the big 20 inch rims fitted with Low profile tires they use.? why? Tesla used them is beyond me asthetic looks maybe? maybe a little better handling able to fit larger brakes? not sure. all I no is it don't mix well when you mix a 4.100 pound vehicle with them and hit a pot hole hard enough just right your damaging the tire or rim or both at an alarming expensive price to fix.! ouch..!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6sPc9dFsGw
johnsTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2020, 14:10   #23
tikal
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsTDI View Post
Daemon64
I will also put Teslas through the fire by saying they are not all perfect like there made to look like. they do have draw backs just to name one of them is the big 20 inch rims fitted with Low profile tires they use.? why? Tesla used them is beyond me asthetic looks maybe? maybe a little better handling able to fit larger brakes? not sure. all I no is it don't mix well when you mix a 4.100 pound vehicle with them and hit a pot hole hard enough just right your damaging the tire or rim or both at an alarming expensive price to fix.! ouch..!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6sPc9dFsGw
But isn't the point of luxury vehicles, Audi included of course, performance and 'looks' rather than repair-ability and most 'bang for the money' cost of ownership?
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2020, 08:43   #24
Daemon64
Veteran Member

Tikal,

I dont know... that kinda seems like a stretch. If were just comparing audi to tesla.... atleast with the audi I have the option to self repair, and shop for affordable alternatives. I mean in the instance of engineering explained we're just talking about rims here. But with Tesla they try to control the whole process end to end. Rich rebuilds on youtube has good info on people who cant repair their crashed cars for months if ever, fitment issues, etc... etc...

I think my biggest gripe with Tesla themselves is this very point. And is a major reason I will never purchase a Tesla. We purchased a VW electric just for this reason....
Old March 9th, 2020, 09:40   #25
tikal
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)

Daemon64, I see what you are saying. Hopefully there will be much more non-Tesla affordable EVs in a non-distant future with local places to repair them if needed.

Paradoxically low fuel prices are bad news for the sale of TDIs, gasoline hybrids and EVs simultaneously :-(
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2020, 10:55   #26
Daemon64
Veteran Member

Tikal,

Exactly. That is my hope as well. Many of the normal car systems still need local maintenance, like tires, brakes, in the event of quatro it still has driveshafts and etc...

I agree on the low fuel prices meaning adoption will not be as strong. People are largely motivated by their wallets, which is why 40k + Evs haven't been particularly strong sellers but < 20k kias, toyotas, vw's etc...etc.. have. Which is why I want to see the adoption of synthetic diesel and gasoline from carbon capture. This is a way to get this into the hands of people now.... Also, consider this, if we produce the fuel domestically then we would not rely on foreign oil at all.... things that make you go hrmmmm....
Old March 9th, 2020, 11:49   #27
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

We already pump more oil from the ground in the US then we import.
Old March 9th, 2020, 12:26   #28
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Most of the brightest scientists and engineers in the field think direct air carbon capture by mechanical/chemical means is a waste of resources. Big oil seems to be pushing the tech. to greenwash their profits. They're more interested in using the captured CO2 to extract more oil from the ground than making synthetic fuels. We really need to focus more on reducing emissions than hunting for a magic bullet that doesn't exist.
Old March 9th, 2020, 17:59   #29
Daemon64
Veteran Member

I can't speak for an entire industry. I can speak based on the company Carbon Engineering or carbonengineering.com which is what I am specifically refering to. The direct air capture carbon, use water to get the other parts of the hydrocarbon, and use primarily green energy, and are planning to produce diesel and gasoline to sell in Canada and California for the time being.

Silver bullet? No. Reducer of current emissions yes.

As of 2019 there were 284.5 million registered vehicles in the US alone. The current global sales of EVs yearly is 2%, the US sells 17.9 million new cars per year. Even if EVs were to sell as 100% for the vehicles it would take 16 Years to phase out. But if the industry went gangbusters and grew by 1000% from their current that would only be 20% of new cars sales. But I'll go all in and say adoption is 50% in the near short term.... or 9 Million cars per year that would mean to replace all the cars in the US alone with electrics would take 32 years..... EVs are helpful, but they are not the only solution. We need to find a solution for the existing ICE cars because it will be a long time before they go away even if electrics took every sale going forward tomorrow....

What we need is not a "silver bullet" which is what EV proponents think they are, but a ton of smaller and incremental changes ASAP to get us moving in the right direction which other things phase over, or adjust. Numbers don't lie and those are the numbers. Also one last thing to think about Tesla struggled HORRIBLY to produce 400k vehicles per year. We're talking that what needs to happen is EV's would need to be produced at a rate of roughly 50 times that every single year to just replace US vehicles.... its an enormous task.
Old March 9th, 2020, 19:10   #30
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

There is no industry. There are a few experimental direct carbon capture operations. The numbers just don't work. The operating energy is much better used to replace existing fossil fuel usage.

I wouldn't underestimate the industrial might of this country/continent when we really focus our energy. We could be producing 100% EV's in just a few years if we felt the need urgently enough.