Sales Tax paid on purchase

Dezmond

TDI
2012 VW Sportswagon TDI
I have been talking to California Board of Equalization about the return of sales tax paid on the purchase of VW TDI Diesels. Currently their legal team are looking into it. I was told that may be a chance of a refund as the vehicles could be considered defective.

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
I hope it works out for you. I'll be amazed if a state agency gives up any money to a citizen.

BuyMeBackSoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 golf
Governments give back money all the time, just need to know how to get it done. CA will probably do something since CARB was a major part of the deal.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
That's a great theory. Its not a sale.....its a refund of your money. I like it.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
IMHO, this would be a more likely strategy to employ anywhere, i.e., a buyback is essentially a refund of 'X' amount of my purchase price, so -at least proportionally- why would I not be entitled to a refund of sales tax? Stores refund the sales tax all the time when an item is returned, so why not this?

......but I imagine the Illinois Department of Revenue can think of a reason or twenty why that won't happen.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
I have been talking to California Board of Equalization about the return of sales tax paid on the purchase of VW TDI Diesels. Currently their legal team are looking into it. I was told that may be a chance of a refund as the vehicles could be considered defective.

One heck of a good idea:D

This Okie will do a little research :rolleyes:

BPofMD

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
This is a very good question to EVERY state that has sales tax!! Think I will pose the question to Maryland .

daesania

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Jetta Sportwagen
On the flip side of the coin, if they did that, would that not also affect those of us who got a federal tax rebate for energy efficient cars?

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
On the flip side of the coin, if they did that, would that not also affect those of us who got a federal tax rebate for energy efficient cars?
Yes, if we extend the logic that's being presented in this thread, then any sort of "rebate" (actually a tax credit) should be proportionally refunded by the car owner who received the credit to the Fed. It would be treated just like any other mistake or irregularity with taxes. They screw up and take too much, they refund the overage; somehow we pay too little, we get a bill from the IRS for the amount of the underpayment.... if we're lucky and don't also get a penalty tacked on.
But...I think we've gone a long way here in deciding that the buyback will in fact be viewed as the return of a product, for whatever reason. The real question isn't whether we decide it's a refund, it's whether the government agency involved considers it to be one.

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB, 2003 NB, 2006 Touareg, 2015 Jetta, 2013 Beetle, 2013 Touareg
Statute of limitations on income tax is 3 years. If the claim is fraud, then that should end up back on VW. They sold you something marketed, and accepted as the efficient vehicle, you in good faith took the credit, based on that approval. Now years later VW admits it wasn't what they claimed, I can't see how that's on you, or if it was on you, that wouldn't pass directly through to VW.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
Exactly. The tax credit was a federal subsidy to the manufacturer for its asking prices for "green" cars. As it was the manufacturer who committed the fraud, any claw back should be from the manufacturer.

And indeed, it was tax fraud.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, either way, I think if this would fly then most of us would come out ahead, so I'm for it.

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
This sounds like pure fantasy to me. But then again it is football season. Anyone with liens should have a proportionate amount of his interest refunded. Same for registration, insurance, etc etc. Everyone wants more. Like Richard Gere said in 'Pretty Woman', "I invented the concept."