40K service checklist

Cincy_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SE TDI
After getting crazy prices for the 40k service I ordered the kit from ID Parts when it was on sale.

Total time was about 5 hours including greasing the sunroof tracks and cleaning out the inside of the car. Time also included test drive and stopping for fuel.

I will be able to do it faster next time as I know the entire process now. I did do the top fill method, DSG drained out 4.5 liters plus or minus a few drops. Put back The 4.6l to account for the filter as others have recommended.

I had built a DSG service tool for about $40 but once I got into it all figured top fill will do it just nice. I had purchased the $5 funnel as well and was going to be used as part of my bottom fill tool. No problems at all and figured I saved a few hundred bucks. Next time i will end up saving more since I won't have to purchase VCDS again.

It really is easy to do and if you can spare part of a Saturday, can follow directions go for it.

amtun13892

TDI
passat tdi SEL
question regarding DSG service for 40k

when I read closely 40k maintenance schedule for 2013 tdi passat model, it said DSG Fluid change is for nonautomatic model tdi. I dont see how often DSG fluid to be changed for automatic tdi model . anyone can comment on this question.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
when I read closely 40k maintenance schedule for 2013 tdi passat model, it said DSG Fluid change is for nonautomatic model tdi. I dont see how often DSG fluid to be changed for automatic tdi model . anyone can comment on this question.
DSG fluid / filter change = 40,000 miles, and every 40K thereafter. I don't know of any recommended fluid change for the manual. Our 11 year old SAAB is a 5-speed manual, and there is NO maintenance interval (I changed it at 125K anyway).

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Remember, the DSG is not considered an automatic transmission. It is an automated manual, hence the wording they use. So the DSG needs the fluid/filter changed every 40k miles.

Deezil_n_Dachs

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Finished the 40K service today. Thanks to the posts here in the forum I was well informed about some of the things to watch for. The engine oil filter came out with relative ease, no mess. A small fuel splash when I popped the fuel filter cover plate loose. The disassembly/reassembly needed to change the DSG filter went without a hitch. I did make a mess when I loosened the DSG filter cap though. I'm definitely interested in hearing if anyone's found a way to get the oil drained from it before pulling off. I did the measure/refill method and got 4.5 liters to drain.
Used a turkey baster to remove the fluids that remained in the filter housings. It worked quite well.
I'm going to make a list of all the torgue values needed, as well as the wrench/socket sizes required. That'll help next time.
The entire service took some time, but I feel it's thorough.
I'm glad I had two jacks to use while rotating the tires.

Deezil_n_Dachs

Veteran Member
TDI
40,000 mile tdi w/dsg service tools and torques

I've compiled a list of the tools, their sizes and the torgue recommended for most of the fasteners that are used in performing the 40K miles service. I've searched and feel confident in the accuracy of what's listed, but free to make call out anything that needs corrected.
If you have the Dieselgeek skid plate:
-30mm or 1-3/16 socket - 50 ftlb
-M8 triple square socket - 18 ftlb
Plastic belly pan:
-T25 Torx
-T45 Torx (these aren't used with the Dieselgeek plate)
Engine oil change:
-Drain plug - 19mm or 3/4" socket - 22 ftlb
-Plastic wire harness guide - T30 Torx
-Coolant tubing - T30 Torx
-Oil filter cap - 32mm or 1-1/4" socket - 18.4 ftlb
Fuel filter cap:
-T20 Torx
Air filter housing:
-T25 Torx
-5mm allen wrench
-12" channel locks
Battery:
-Cable clamps - 10mm
-Hold down clamp - 13mm socket
-Shelf - 10mm socket
DSG fluid change:
-Drain plug - 14mm allen wrench or socket - 33 ftlb
(I had a 5/8" allen wrench, and I cut 2" from the long end. I filed the flats just a bit and it fit very well)
-Snorkle - 8mm allen - 2.5 ftlb
-Filter cap - 24mm or 15/16" socket - 15 ftlb
Tire rotation:
-Lugbolts - 17mm or 11/16 deepwell socket - 103 ftlb
Diesel exhaust fluid:
-Adblue bottle from the dealer
Hope you find this useful!

Last edited:

Skoal

TDI
Passat TDI SE 2014
40K service with 23N5 recall

I just had my 20k service at my VW shop they also did a recall 23N5. My concern is that now my Passat smells of diesel when I start it and my garage has that diesel smell (no leaks). The car never smelt like this prior to the service. The dealership said to bring it by for a looksee but they are 2 hours round trip not to mention I'll have to take the day off work to do this.
Has anyone else had this happen? :confused:

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I just had my 40k service at my VW shop they also did a recall 23N5. My concern is that now my Passat smells of diesel when I start it and my garage has that diesel smell (no leaks). The car never smelt like this prior to the service. The dealership said to bring it by for a looksee but they are 2 hours round trip not to mention I'll have to take the day off work to do this.
Has anyone else had this happen? :confused:

They probably spilled diesel fuel when they changed the fuel filter. Check the area on and around the fuel filter housing for wetness and wipe it off with a rag. If there are any active leaks, you may need to take the car back to have it corrected.

mplatt911

TDI
2010 TDI cup
My local dealer in Watertown NY was $508 for 40k which included DSG service too. Thought is was a fair price.

breadfan011973

TDI
13 Passat SE
Got a quote from local dealer (SE PA) $420 DSG and $245 oil, filter, fuel filter and cabin filter. More then I want to spend but went to a local shop that specializes in foreign cars and diesel and was quoted same price.

jhinsc

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Got a quote from local dealer (SE PA) $420 DSG and $245 oil, filter, fuel filter and cabin filter. More then I want to spend but went to a local shop that specializes in foreign cars and diesel and was quoted same price.
To get the price down somewhat, change the engine air filter and cabin filter yourself - you might shave $50-$100 off. Get a detailed quote so you know how much you'll save before you do it, or else they may only knock off $20 when you state you don't need those items.

I plan on getting a detailed quote at my 30K service for the 40k service - should be accurate since 10k can roll around about every 5 months for me.

Last edited:

tc1uscg

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD TO VW
Avg Price

Seems 600.00 is the standard price. I just put Mich IX3's on all 4's so they didn't rotate. Saved me a few bucks there. The only filter they gave me back was the cabin filter. Looked clean. Next time, I'll leave it in. :D

1gunther1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL 2012 Passat SEL
I just got a quote from Wes Greenway of $850 for the 40K service to include DSG. Anyone in the metro area got any recommendations on better pricing? Doing it myself is not an option at this time.

luomlds

TDI
2012 Passat
40k Service

I live in Minnesota. I got a nice quote for $650. However, at Luther VWs, they quote you at $850-1000...

If you live in Minnesota, shop around and message me if you want to know were I am getting mine serviced at.

Almir1

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
Running Wish list for 2013 Passat

I usually go on Amazon and keep a running wish list of things I want to buy for my car. This includes oil, filters, etc etc.

Feel free to look at it and compare prices at other places.

I did some research and the 50k, 60k, and 70k service will be about 30-40 bucks cheaper with Amazon parts than idparts.com... but they do sure make it easier with those kits...

http://amzn.com/w/MSK5H0IPRCY2

Let me know if the link (doesn't) works

Almir1

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
PS. I'd like to kick the guy who designed the oil filter and the clearance to get it out of the engine bay.
I broke that stem in the oil cap after frustratingly spending 15 minutes trying to wiggle it out. Ordered 2 the next day, replaced the broken one and now I have a spare one in the garage just in case

titleist1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI
I hit the 40k mark this week and got through everything but the DSG oil & filter change today. I noticed my allen bit set hadn't been returned so I couldn't get the drain plug or insert out. Luckily I noticed that before wresting the topside stuff off to get to the filter.

I think the german engineers are holding a grudge for losing the wars and are torturing us through their idiotic oil filter location.

By the way, has anyone else tried using the screw jack that comes with the car on the front and did it actually lift the car high enough to clear the tire? While rotating the tires, it hit the stops before the tire cleared on the front so i went to the pump jack up front and the screw jack with a 2x8 under it on the back.

Last edited:

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
Remember to crack the filters loose pror to pulling the drain plugs, or as they drain like me- quite a bit more came out after I loosened the filters. I didn't get quite 4.5L out of mine and I let it drain for 36 hours, I left my battery tray and intake all together, just loosened the 4? bolts (one stays in the plastic) disconnected the mass airflow and one of the vacuum tubes near the firewall and un-clicked the snorkel from the splash shield near the hood latch and removed the entire thing as one piece. I had to tilt it up and pivot towards the passenger side to get the U shaped intake around a rad hose. You can remove the U thingy as there are 2 snaps in the square part. As I re-assembled I sprayed silicone spray onto the rubber holders that the plastic clicks into- instant easy button
Let us know if your filter that came out looked like this? This is mine, and the last digit is a D on the part number rather than the common (and reinstalled) white foam style C as the last digit in the part number.

Last edited:

titleist1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI
Mine was/is the white foam style. It came in the kit I got from IDParts.

I got 4 liters drained from it so that is how much I put back in. I had about 1-1/2 liters drain out before i removed the snorkel, I guess that is because i had it on ramps. The remainder of the 4 liters came out after i took out the snorkel.

The tool list that Deezil_n_Dachs compiled a few posts above was very useful and saved me some time fiddling around for the correct socket, thanks for that.

It took about 1-1/2 hours to do the DSG portion and i would bet 1/2 hour of that was waiting for the oil to fill topside.

To me the DSG filter was less frustrating to deal with than the engine oil filter.

jsm172

TDI
Passat
The hardest part of the DSG change was

getting the air filter housing out. It took me at least 30 minutes to figure out everything and remove it.

Another thing I have noticed after I changed the DSG oil, is that I smell the oil every once in awhile while driving. I must have spilled a little bit somewhere when filling.

domano 68

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6spd manual
I've compiled a list of the tools, their sizes and the torgue recommended for most of the fasteners that are used in performing the 40K miles service. I've searched and feel confident in the accuracy of what's listed, but free to make call out anything that needs corrected.
If you have the Dieselgeek skid plate:
-30mm or 1-3/16 socket - 50 ftlb
-M8 triple square socket - 18 ftlb
Plastic belly pan:
-T25 Torx
-T45 Torx (these aren't used with the Dieselgeek plate)
Engine oil change:
-Drain plug - 19mm or 3/4" socket - 22 ftlb
-Plastic wire harness guide - T30 Torx
-Coolant tubing - T30 Torx
-Oil filter cap - 32mm or 1-1/4" socket - 18.4 ftlb
Fuel filter cap:
-T20 Torx
Air filter housing:
-T25 Torx
-5mm allen wrench
-12" channel locks
Battery:
-Cable clamps - 10mm
-Hold down clamp - 13mm socket
-Shelf - 10mm socket
DSG fluid change:
-Drain plug - 14mm allen wrench or socket - 33 ftlb
(I had a 5/8" allen wrench, and I cut 2" from the long end. I filed the flats just a bit and it fit very well)
-Snorkle - 8mm allen - 2.5 ftlb
-Filter cap - 24mm or 15/16" socket - 15 ftlb
Tire rotation:
-Lugbolts - 17mm or 11/16 deepwell socket - 103 ftlb
Diesel exhaust fluid:
-Adblue bottle from the dealer
Hope you find this useful!
Thanks for posting.

Correct or incorrcet: If filling DSG from top, you do not need to get all 4 wheels off of the ground?

I "assume" you have to get all 4 wheels off the ground to get the car level if you do the bottom fill method so you can have the level correct at the top side of the 8mm allen plastic snorkel insert? If this is true, how much fluid can I get out if I only get the front end off of the ground (ramps)? I plan on doing the top fill method. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Deezil_n_Dachs

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for posting.

Correct or incorrcet: If filling DSG from top, you do not need to get all 4 wheels off of the ground?

I "assume" you have to get all 4 wheels off the ground to get the car level if you do the bottom fill method so you can have the level correct at the top side of the 8mm allen plastic snorkel insert? If this is true, how much fluid can I get out if I only get the front end off of the ground (ramps)? I plan on doing the top fill method. Thanks in advance!
You are correct about the bottom fill method, the car must be level. The top fill, measure/refill procedure that I followed did not require that. I was able to drain 4.5 liters while my front tires were up on ramps, and I'm confident that was everything that's capable of coming out through the drain plug.
Hope this helps you!

domano 68

Veteran Member
TDI
You are correct about the bottom fill method, the car must be level. The top fill, measure/refill procedure that I followed did not require that. I was able to drain 4.5 liters while my front tires were up on ramps, and I'm confident that was everything that's capable of coming out through the drain plug.
Hope this helps you!
10-4, much thanks!

domano 68

Veteran Member
TDI
Performed the DSG service, new air filter, DEF top off and new fuel filter this weekend with no problems.

Fuel filter very easy: unbolted, removed old filter, added new filter, topped off housing with PS. Cranked right up.

Get the VW 1/2 gal adblue bottle for the DEF. Great design and very easy to fill. Plan on getting the walmart 2.5 gal tote of DEF and re-using the adblue bottle.

If doing the top fill method, measuring amount of fluid drained, then no need to get all 4 wheels off the ground. Got the front end of the car up on two ramps then started taking stuff out to get to the transmission filter. Air intake was the toughest. I unscrewed all top bolts of the intake and put the top side of the intake to the side without disconnecting the hose to the throttle body.

I discovered the base of the air intake was connected to the battery tray in two spots with two plastic grommets/plastic bolts. This was the most difficult part of the process since I had not read about this prior to doing the work nor had I seen anything like this before. Basically I just pulled these apart. Then I removed battery. Blew some compressed air around to move all debris from filter area. Then removed filter cover, pulled old filter out and threw away.

Removed belly pan from rear. Pulled 14mm drain plug, then pulled 8mm plastic snorkel draining rest out fluid into catch pan from bottom side. Then dumped used dirty fluid into 5 qt Mobil 1 jug. Had just over 4 liters drained out. Then poured oil fluid out that was above the 4 liters mark of the Mobil 1 jug into a measuring cup which equated to 300ml. Now I knew exactly how much was drained. This method seemed easier than measuring everything that was drained in a seperate one liter funnel as I have seen others do.

Got the new tranny fluid warmed up in hot water and this really did help. Put 4 liters of new fresh fluid in through the oil filter hole on the top of the engine, then measured out 400 ml in a measuring cup (the extra 100ml was to account for the fluid that was saturated in the filter). Snapped new filter on, put housing cover back on. Then started to reassemble. Dropped new air filter in. Putting everything back together was much easier than taking it apart.

Started the car and going through all gears and let run for a bit. Got several dash lights but they went away after a few minutes. I assume this was due to the battery being removed. Put the car back up on ramps and looked for leaks. None found so belly pan was reinstalled.

Overall this was a pretty straightforward job and everyone that is mechanically inclined and wants to have a little fun should do this themselves. There are enough people on this forum to answer any questions or concerns and offer shortcuts and advice for those who are willing.

Don't go to the dealership to have this done! Do it yourself and know that it was actually done and done correctly. The Huntsville dealership quoted over $1000 for the 40K service so it was an easy decision for me to go to idparts.com and get the kit and do it myself! Three years ago I went to this dealership when searching for a Passat. They wanted their "market adjustment" on top of MSRP. I guess some things don't change.

Hope this helps!

jsm172

TDI
Passat
Performed the DSG service, new air filter, DEF top off and new fuel filter this weekend with no problems.

Fuel filter very easy: unbolted, removed old filter, added new filter, topped off housing with PS. Cranked right up.

Get the VW 1/2 gal adblue bottle for the DEF. Great design and very easy to fill. Plan on getting the walmart 2.5 gal tote of DEF and re-using the adblue bottle.

If doing the top fill method, measuring amount of fluid drained, then no need to get all 4 wheels off the ground. Got the front end of the car up on two ramps then started taking stuff out to get to the transmission filter. Air intake was the toughest. I unscrewed all top bolts of the intake and put the top side of the intake to the side without disconnecting the hose to the throttle body.

I discovered the base of the air intake was connected to the battery tray in two spots with two plastic grommets/plastic bolts. This was the most difficult part of the process since I had not read about this prior to doing the work nor had I seen anything like this before. Basically I just pulled these apart. Then I removed battery. Blew some compressed air around to move all debris from filter area. Then removed filter cover, pulled old filter out and threw away.

Removed belly pan from rear. Pulled 14mm drain plug, then pulled 8mm plastic snorkel draining rest out fluid into catch pan from bottom side. Then dumped used dirty fluid into 5 qt Mobil 1 jug. Had just over 4 liters drained out. Then poured oil fluid out that was above the 4 liters mark of the Mobil 1 jug into a measuring cup which equated to 300ml. Now I knew exactly how much was drained. This method seemed easier than measuring everything that was drained in a seperate one liter funnel as I have seen others do.

Got the new tranny fluid warmed up in hot water and this really did help. Put 4 liters of new fresh fluid in through the oil filter hole on the top of the engine, then measured out 400 ml in a measuring cup (the extra 100ml was to account for the fluid that was saturated in the filter). Snapped new filter on, put housing cover back on. Then started to reassemble. Dropped new air filter in. Putting everything back together was much easier than taking it apart.

Started the car and going through all gears and let run for a bit. Got several dash lights but they went away after a few minutes. I assume this was due to the battery being removed. Put the car back up on ramps and looked for leaks. None found so belly pan was reinstalled.

Overall this was a pretty straightforward job and everyone that is mechanically inclined and wants to have a little fun should do this themselves. There are enough people on this forum to answer any questions or concerns and offer shortcuts and advice for those who are willing.

Don't go to the dealership to have this done! Do it yourself and know that it was actually done and done correctly. The Huntsville dealership quoted over $1000 for the 40K service so it was an easy decision for me to go to idparts.com and get the kit and do it myself! Three years ago I went to this dealership when searching for a Passat. They wanted their "market adjustment" on top of MSRP. I guess some things don't change.

Hope this helps!
This is exactly what I did as well. I agree about the batter/air filter housing. It was the hardest part of the service. I know how to do it now, so i will be able to finish faster next time.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
Well said, 4.3 Drained but I put 4.5 back as that filter really held a lot of oil, I removed it from that plastic cage and unraveled it out- then threw it in the wood stove to start the mornings fire and it heated my home quite well- I Also sucked the filter area completely dry so I accounted for 200ml. I also used a shop vac around the batt try and filter cap areas

Last edited:

pedorro

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Sport
I performed the 40K service today which took me just under three hours to complete (non-DSG). Future oil changes and services will be a bit quicker now that I've wrangled the oil and fuel filters. I was a bit surprised by how long the VCDS-initiated fuel pump test ran. It took almost exactly two gallons of DEF for the 10,040 miles since that last service. I am sending an oil sample to Blackstone and am be curious to see what aluminum numbers are.

I ran out of steam and time so will need to rotate the tires and install my DG SSK on Sunday.

I really appreciate this site and all the useful information contained within!