40K service checklist

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
How do you reset the "service reminder" when you have completed the service? I just completed doing my 40K service, I have a VCDS, I just haven't figured out how to reset the service reminder.
Thanks

Sandhopper

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Just had my 40k with the DSG serviced for $593.02. Called around to several VW dealers and the closest to home was the cheapest. BTW, when they quoted the job it was $618... They came in under their quote. I was amazed!:D
Good to go for another year.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Has anyone been able to cross the fuel filters for the NMS? NAPA had their annual half price sale and were unable to source a filter. $40+ is a lot for a filter!

JARED_LA

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Can anyone post the thread showing all of the required tools to perform oil and fuel filter changes, including belly pan, req'd torque, etc.? Also, for the bottom drainers, are you guys lifting up the front only using ramps?
Thanks
Jared

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
Can anyone post the thread showing all of the required tools to perform oil and fuel filter changes, including belly pan, req'd torque, etc.? Also, for the bottom drainers, are you guys lifting up the front only using ramps?
Thanks
Jared
Not sure of the thread but you will need a 25 and 30 torx for belly pan, 19mm wrench or socket for drain plug. The filter is a 32mm socket. I believe the fuel filter is 25 torx as well.

If you remove the filter housing you will need a 10mm socket there I believe. I do drain mine from the bottom on ramps. I have a fumoto valve with a nipple and just put on a short length of hose and drain right back into an empty 5 liter jug that I emptied the last change.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Tapatalk

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Here are some pics from our 60K service...

Nice and clean inside

Fuel filter doing it's job

Air filter doing it's job

Primed the fuel system with the VCDS output test for the fuel system electronics (didn't pre-fill the filter housing). After about 30 seconds all of the air was purged out and it started right up.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
^^^^^^^^^^

VeeDubTDI wrote: "-Air filter doing it's job-" (+pix)

If you changed that filter at a 20K interval, where do you live? I change the cabin filter in our SAAB 9-5 wagon at the recommended 30K interval, and from the appearance of the filter, it's an exercise in futility. They look as clean coming out as they did going in. I've found a few small leaves and a few windborne seeds (maple, etc.) in there, but that's about it.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
^^^^^^^^^^

If you changed that filter at a 20K interval, where do you live? I change the cabin filter in our SAAB 9-5 wagon at the recommended 30K interval, and from the appearance of the filter, it's an exercise in futility. They look as clean coming out as they did going in. I've found a few small leaves and a few windborne seeds (maple, etc.) in there, but that's about it.
The filter was changed at 60k for the first time.
... at the recommended interval. :)

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
... at the recommended interval. :)
Woops! I didn't think to check the maintenance schedule. When someone earlier in the thread said it was part of the 20K service, I just assumed that was the interval.....

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
I'm nearing my 40k and have a quote from a local TDI mechanic for labor. Does anyone recommend any of the customizable upgrades from the IDparts kit?

I800C0LLECT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta & Passat
Not sure if it matters to anybody but the 40k service w/DSG at PriorityVW in VA wasn't bad. After 16% discount and a bunch of coupons the service totaled at $710. But since I'm in Afcrapistan I had the wife add in tire balance/rotation, wheel alignement, engine air filter(we drive on a lot of dusty dirt roads), pollen air filter, wiper blades, and uh...something else? Not significant though.

They actually overcharged by about $25 I believe after going through the invoice. But I wasn't going to have the wife go back and complain about it.

Happy wife happy life :)

psaboic

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta GLS Black
I got quoted $890 today at Dick Hannah VW in Vancouver WA. Not gonna happen

Cincy_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SE TDI
at 33K and have VCDS Micro Can so going to do my own 40K service.

so the IdParts 40K kit has base options like the Liguid Molly TopTec or Mobil, Penzoil or Castrol on the oil. Some add additional costs just like with the DSG fluid.

Is the basic add on items enough or are people purchasing the up charged items.
Basically looking for recommendations for the items that others have used.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
at 33K and have VCDS Micro Can so going to do my own 40K service.

so the IdParts 40K kit has base options like the Liguid Molly TopTec or Mobil, Penzoil or Castrol on the oil. Some add additional costs just like with the DSG fluid.

Is the basic add on items enough or are people purchasing the up charged items.
Basically looking for recommendations for the items that others have used.
Some of those lubricants do cost more, depending on the brand. But, in the case of the engine oil, most of the people on this forum who seem to know what they're talking about say that there's so little wiggle room in the 507.00 oil spec that they have to all be about the same. So it comes down to personal preference, or just choose the cheapest brand. Our local dealer, like most, uses the Castrol LL03 oil, and if you buy it across the counter it's only $9 / liter, which isn't all that bad for this oil. When I start doing my own changes, I may just stick with that.

JonLla84

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium
So, even thought I just hit 1000 miles on my new 14 tdi passat, I'm already trying to learn as much as i can about the diesel maintenance...

Why is it that I've read some dealers in some states quoting 500ish and other see 800ish dollars for the 40k service?

Shouldn't it just be a set price based off work performed? or is it the hourly rates that vary?

Cincy_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SE TDI
So, even thought I just hit 1000 miles on my new 14 tdi passat, I'm already trying to learn as much as i can about the diesel maintenance...

Why is it that I've read some dealers in some states quoting 500ish and other see 800ish dollars for the 40k service?

Shouldn't it just be a set price based off work performed? or is it the hourly rates that vary?
mine quoted almost $800 but they gave me free oil changes for life with my purchase. They said they would take that off the price which would have put me at $700.

Used Micro Can from forum, 190
40K kit is on sale today at IDparts for $179, I added a few extras I needed so with shipping it was $245.

So I am saving a few hundred bucks and the overall charge can be cheaper now since I don't have to buy VCDS each time.

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d

There may be a significant difference in hourly rate depending on where you are. But don't forget that a significant portion of the cost of the 40k service is the DSG service, so I imagine that some of the lower prices we are seeing may be for a manual trans car.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It makes sense to shop around within a reasonable geographic area, but it must be remembered that the varying costs of living as one moves around the country apply to automotive service as well. I wouldn't expect to price out this 40K package the same at a Chicago dealer as I would here downstate. There's going to be a difference just in fuel of 40 cents or so, just to buy it under Cook Co. taxes. Neither would I be willing to drive an inordinate distance just to have it performed.
That being said, there are compromises. We enjoy a getaway in St. Louis, and a good probability for our 40K is to take it 180 miles to Car Doc there and have "Oilhammer" do it, while we get a hotel room for overnight, and take in a ball game or one of the area's many other attractions we enjoy.
Or, as I plan to do at this point, just do the service myself....

bobthefarmer

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Mk 5 192K miles; 2012 Car of the Year, Passat Tdi SE+Nav in blue nightgown, shod in 18 inch heels
I would gladly perform a 40K service for $390 (inclusive of all Filters and fluids) for those in the Memphis and North Mississippi area. This is not that hard of a task. It takes time, but I touch every fluid in the car, Lube, DSG. Fuel Filter, DEF, Wiper Fluid, Doors/Windows/Sunroof Lube, Wash and Vacuum. Anybody with the proper tools (and a VCDS is nice, but unnecessary) and proper inclination and motivation can do this job in four hours or less. I use Lubri-Moly VW Spec Oils and OEM Filters as I purchase kits from Bora-Parts.

Last edited:

bobthefarmer

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Mk 5 192K miles; 2012 Car of the Year, Passat Tdi SE+Nav in blue nightgown, shod in 18 inch heels
Recommended means based on conditions

^^^^^^^^^^

I change my cabin filter to improve smell inside the car. It has activated charcoal which takes out exhaust fumes and other pollutants in the air. It all depends on your conditions. It degrades over time and is less effective. So it is not a futile step, but for your comfort. Fuel Filters at 20K intervals is an inexpensive vaccination from many ills, well worth the price (and cost avoidance).

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
I paid Marty Bergel to change my engine oil/filter, DSG oil/filter, and fuel filter @ 40k miles a couple weeks ago. Great service, price, and about 2.5h. I ordered the 40k mile kit from ID parts with standard Liquid Moly fluids. I changed the cabin filter myself. :)

Cincy_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SE TDI
I am about to do the 40K service myself in about 2 weeks. I have all the parts that I purchased from ID Parts the other week when they were on sale. I am going to build my DSG fill line this week. Really how hard can a drain and fill with filters really be? Figured 3-4 hours to do this and save a few dollars as well as know what is going in my vehicle.

My local VW where I purchased my Passat owns or is tied to 3 of the 4 dealerships locally. I don't expect the service cost to vary that much due to this.

Deezil_n_Dachs

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I seem to recall someone in another thread mentioned a procedure to be done to the DSG via VCDS after the 40K oil and filter change. It wasn't temp monitoring for the bottom refill method, but rather a sort of recalibration. I've looked for it recently but can't find it again. Does anyone know I'm referring to?

Deezil_n_Dachs

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium